STABILIZERS ?

B

Brokenrod

Has anyone installed or seen stabilizers on a pleasure boat for off shore fishing ?

I haven't, but I don't know if it would be a good idea. Pleasure boats are not displacement hulls, and they don't often pack enough ballast to offset tall stabi polls straight up in the air. I also don't think your average pleasure boat would have anywhere strong enough to bolt them to, most commercial fishing boats have a mast that is pre-stressed to the rest of the boat by cables.

I have never seen them up here but even the smaller boat in Calf. would have them. I think you would just use them when you where trolling.

Great, I think that all that is needed is 4-6 ft arms with cables connected to each other over the cabin to regulate depth and and another cable running toward the bow to hold the pull aft on each side.

LC, yes we are talking about stabies. I,ve talked to several people that are running them while trollig or drifting off shore they work well and do not require the same setup as the commercial boats use. Simple but effective.

The big boat use them why not the small ones like ours.

Back