Who offers the cheapest basic boat insurance?

smokedvw

I'm looking for a smaller pleasure craft 18' and was quoted close to $750 for the year. Last time I had insurance it was around $400.

Hoping someone has done a little hunting and can lead me to a cheaper company.

Thank you

I don't think insurance is cheap anywhere anymore. When I did my boat last year, I compared about 5 different brokerages and found Dolphin Insurance to be the best coverage. It seems if you pay less, you get way less coverage. Talk to Kaila Wegner.

I don't think insurance is cheap anywhere anymore. When I did my boat last year, I compared about 5 different brokerages and found Dolphin Insurance to be the best coverage. It seems if you pay less, you get way less coverage. Talk to Kaila Wegner.
Thanks I just emailed them, I also found this thread and emailed 2 of the companies listed.

I went with Portside. Saved me a ton of money. Waiting to hear a review from someone who has a claim.

Interesting port side was 30% more than my first quote. I'm going to follow up today.
I think Dolphin was $3400 and Portside was $1100.
San Juan's west coast Vancouver Island all the way up including southeast Alaska. 30nm out.

I went with Portside. Saved me a ton of money. Waiting to hear a review from someone who has a claim.
Interesting port side was 30% more than my first quote. I'm going to follow up today.
I found that the cheaper options had much less coverage and restrictions and for some of them the trade area was very restrictive. I think a lot of them use the same underwriters and just jimmy the policy specifics to give them a unique looking product. I do know Dolphin has their own marine policy they have directly underwritten by Lloyds.

That being said, I am going to grab a quote from Portside now before my renewal comes up. I am paying just over $3K with Dolphin for $250K in coverage (plus fishing gear etc) which gave me the best coverage of all the ones I got quotes from. If I recall, Pacific Marine Underwriters were the next best in terms of coverage but were more expensive than Dolphin. So super interested to hear who is giving the best value these days because insurance prices are so insane now.

I'm looking for a smaller pleasure craft 18' and was quoted close to $750 for the year. Last time I had insurance it was around $400.

Hoping someone has done a little hunting and can lead me to a cheaper company.

Thank you

Dolphin will probably quote you somewhere around $1000 based on your boat. Give them a shout.

I checked my insurance (June 2023) through Premier Marine. Looks like it is underwritten by Lloyds and Sovereign General. Typical $1m general liability, insured vessel up to $75000 with $750 deductible. The vessel is a 2019 20ft aluminum boat - they never requested a survey.

When not in use, I store my boat on land - the policy does include a limitation requiring dry land storage between Dec-March.

Total premium +/- $800

Portside all the way. Saved me $300 a year with $25K higher valuation. Great quick knowledgeable service. I can't help but think I've been ripped off by my previous broker/underwriter for the last 20 years.

I was surprised two years ago when I ’enquired’ about making a minor claim. It was going to be strike one if I even asked for a quote to make a claim. They then informed me that I only had BOAT insurance, not MARINE insurance. (I’m no longer with this company).

A buddy suggested Waypoint Insurance - it was ~10% more to get real MARINE insurance, and includes a bonus of ‘zero deductible on fishing gear up to $10,000’. Waypoint is now my current broker, underwritten by Pacific Marine Underwriters insured by Lloyds.

FD

I was surprised two years ago when I ’enquired’ about making a minor claim. It was going to be strike one if I even asked for a quote to make a claim. They then informed me that I only had BOAT insurance, not MARINE insurance. (I’m no longer with this company).

A buddy suggested Waypoint Insurance - it was ~10% more to get real MARINE insurance, and includes a bonus of ‘zero deductible on fishing gear up to $10,000’. Waypoint is now my current broker, underwritten by Pacific Marine Underwriters insured by Lloyds.

FD
Yup, when I looked at the fine print on the cheaper policies I couldn't run away fast enough. Pacific Marine was my second choice.

Back