Squid and Octopus Ethics

I want to add X2 on avoiding ink in the boat!!!! First time I ever caught a Humbolt ( or maybe it was a Neon squid? ) I let it go and only had to retie a new cutplug leader back on. This was in Milbank Sound, so I figured it was lost that far north... The next 45 mins, I caught 3 more!!!! "Hmmph! these things must be good to eat-ther're just big calamari!!"
So the last one gets gaffed into the boat....%#^&**!!!! what a mess!!!!! purple/black goo ALL OVER... and worse, no obvious way to kill it quickly
After two rolls of paper towel and 45 mins of cleaning time during prime slack tide, I was regretting my calamari idea and retying the leader seemed sooo much better

I think I heard once about giving them a tow behind the boat to get them inked out. Gaff 'em, tie the gaff to the boat, and tow it around for a bit. Should empty its ink reserves. Or you could whack it with the gaff or net when it gets close. Basically anything that will make it uncomfortable. To kill one... your guess is as good as mine.

To kill an octopus you need to quickly behead it right at the base of the tentacles.... Quick or else it will wrap itself up for protection. Then remove he beak and you're good to go, no more mess.

A couple years ago my Dad got a good sized one while jigging, took awhile to drag it up, let it go and the dirty bugger went straight down and grabbed the other jig we left out, had to drag him all the way back up again. Lmao

I fished them commercially in the winter of 1962-63 here at Campbell River and caught numerous, mostly in the 20-30 lb range with my biggest a bit over 50 lbs dressed.
The largest octopus ever caught were near Prince Rupert in '62 I think and weighed 400 and 600 lbs with the larger one at 32' across. A commercial diver caught them.
I've heard the interview on CBC Radio a couple of times over the years that covered the story.

Biggest octopus in the world off our coast.

Take care

I took my daughter to the Sidney Aquarium last year and we watched the octopus they had in the tank there. It let itself out each night by unlocking the lid to the tank, moved to other tanks (out of water) to feed and would let itself back into its own tank. The gal working there said they have the brain capability (ie learning) of your average 2yr old child (my daughter's age). Interesting for sure.

Not many prawns left in that trap...released

prawn066.jpg

prawn068.jpg

prawn069.jpg

Grab the head and you'll find an opening at the back of it. Turn the head inside out. This exposes the brain and other vitals. Pull them out and you have disabled it. Ya, I know it sounds bad, but, I've caught many of them in the Med and thats the method we use there. Mind you with a really large one you may have to do this very quickly.

Back in our halibut days this was candy to the halibut-cut off skin from legs and head to give a clean white bait. Take out his beak to stop him from slithering up your leg.

I've been dying to try fresh octopus one of these days, I hear the small ones you sometimes get in your prawn traps are mighty fine table fare. Ive heard you just clean them like someone else here mentioned by cutting behind the eyes, and then soak them shortly in some milk and cut up and fast fry them. Although the rubbery stuff I've got at restaurants tells me its probably a hard dish to master. Either way though when cooked right damn are they ever tasty.

You've got to tenderize it. Smash it again the pavement when you get to shore for starters, then, boil the sh$t of it. Not sure how long my wife does it for, but, its at least 20 minutes plus depending on size. It isn't tough to chew if prepped right. I've never heard of the milk thing. Once we boil it, let it cool cut up into small pieces and make some cerviche and serve in a great salad or pulpo Vizcayo. Small is always better.

My buddy slow cooks them on low in their own juices mixed with greek spices for like 5 hours (large ones) and it is so soft you can cut it with a folk. Tasty for sure.

Used them in Maui for bait. Unfortunatley the only fish in that spot were moray eels.

Back