Squid and Octopus Ethics

falcon1

I have heard of people catching these on occasion. I have also heard it mentioned occasionally that instead of keeping the whole thing for bait, you can cut off a tentacle to use. Is this ethical? I know the tentacles will grow back but is it fine to take one?

I have heard of people catching these on occasion. I have also heard it mentioned occasionally that instead of keeping the whole thing for bait, you can cut off a tentacle to use. Is this ethical? I know the tentacles will grow back but is it fine to take one?

I release em but that's just me. Little video I have from catching one a few years ago.......
[video]http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10150721641235133

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave the end result would be a released "septopus". I'm wondering whether it would really harm the creature as it is not really like you or I losing an arm or leg. We can't gro them back, the octopus can, and very quickly.

Dave the end result would be a released "septopus". I'm wondering whether it would really harm the creature as it is not really like you or I losing an arm or leg. We can't gro them back, the octopus can, and very quickly.

haha, took me a while to get that one........next time I get an octo, a tentacle is staying on the boat!

biggest ive caught with both prawn traps and hali gear was 60-80lbs........ the life cycle is only 4 yrs??? man they must eat to get that big so quickly,, whats the biggest octo you guys have seen/caught? i freeze em for a month then start the eatin.

few years ago i was jiggin up humboldts 3 miles off cape beale,, never kept any.

When i did a prawn season we rarely went a day without catching at least one. The octopus make quick work of anything else inside the trap and they can eat a ton of stuff. We let most go....

I've only caught small juvenile octo's in prawn traps so far. 6-10 inches long including tentacles. Get them every other trip it seems. Kept 1 for Hali bait last year but it caught nothing.

How big are humbolt squid? Apparently they are becoming more and more common? What are you guys catching them on? Im finding frozen squid are an absolutely deadly bait for bottom fish big and small at the breakwater. I imagine fresh are even better.

The giant octopus have no problem getting into standard sized traps. I think they are comfortable in them, protected while they eat a buffet of prawns and other things.

Stubby squid are pretty cool, I dont understand how they last a day on the bottom though... bite size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hide under rocks? Uninjured critters also have a lesser chance o being attacked. That is why when fishing with live bait, your bait get bites out of all the hunderds of other options. Fish look for easy meals.

Ive caught octo's up to 50 pounds on rod and reel halibut and codjigging. Got a big one in a carab trap in renny. Good bait and even better in an octopus seafood salad!

-KK

Love that Octopussy...yumie. Never good for hali bait...it always gets eaten before we can think to do that.

Hahaha ;) Well I guess people are not opposed to taking a leg or two. One thing to consider though, is before you pull it in your boat, or towards you, mae sure it sprays all its ink into the water. Saw some guy doing this on a youtube video with small squid.

Thanks for posting the link and the receipe. We have only tried cooking octopus once, we ground it up and made balls - not very good. We didn't dry it before hand. Defitinitely going to try the recipe.

You don't get a lot for your money-which is to say it loses a lot of water but Octopus is very tasty stuff.

I actually learned to eat in Mexico and then started ordering in Greek places here-done very differently but an outstanding dish.

Back