Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Steve don't you work? LOL
You haven't been paying attention to Wolf's lessons either. Should be nothing but open water behind you in those pics. Giving away your secret spot. = )

Great work out there lately. You're a fishin machine.

Tips

I want to be a guide one day! Its my dream and Passion.Eat sleep and breath fishing! Might as well show it off somtimes.

And the spot is open for the taking. I know what they want to eat :)

-Steve

Just keep fishing with your dad. Those are the good days of fishing that can't be beat! (for both of you)
Guiding just looks like fun.

Tips

Did Big T get that last one on his new rod?? :D

Steve don't you work? LOL
You haven't been paying attention to Wolf's lessons either. Should be nothing but open water behind you in those pics. Giving away your secret spot. = )

Great work out there lately. You're a fishin machine.

Tips

Amen to that! I don't get out as much as you Steve and I'm retired now! I wish I had a job like yours when I was younger, then I could have gone fishing every day too!! LOL

You are sure doing well, with 5 or 6 monsters every trip. I am happy with my one per trip and the 17lb fish I had today was a super highlight. But it looks like a tiddler compared to yours!!

Last edited by a moderator:
YEAH so Some of us dont have too LOL LOL, all I can say is there is fish out there if fishfly is getting them you know there is fish to be had it wasnt sooooo long ago the guy was all doom and gloom no fish no fish no fish amazing what happens when you catch a few of them isnt it.... the confidence comes back ten fold.....BTW whares my 25 cents..... LOL LOL

Wolfie- I dont know if im getting better at fishing or there is more fish. But Id like to believe its mostly me as there is no doubt the stocks have declined.

We can add interest and call it a big fat canadian loonie if you like!

Out 3-7:30 today. Hit a 25 right off the bat and then hit a nice chubby 12 pounder. Then it went dead for a bit. Then got hammered at 100 ft and the fish came straight to the surface about 40 ft behind the boat and cleared the water a good 30-35 pounder. Then she ran me to withing 30-40 wraps of line on my reel and poof. Gone!

Hit a nice snap right before I left and nailed a 17 pound hatch that I let go. And my Dad missed a nice one high teens aswell.

Awsome evening! SWEET!

-Steve

I want to be a guide one day! Its my dream and Passion.Eat sleep and breath fishing! Might as well show it off somtimes.

And the spot is open for the taking. I know what they want to eat :)

-Steve
Steve, ask, before you quit your apparent day job. There's more to being a guide, than catching a few fish...
Another long line release Steve? A 35lb @ 40ft , perhaps your glasses we're foggy from heavy breathing :D

There is definatlly a lot of fish around right now thats for sure all the way along nice to see some more east off of the head and shack thats for sure and Im happy your getting them and proud you are remeber though when it gets harder you going to have to "find" them thats the secret in fishing sooke.

As for guiding steve I wish you all the luck in the world word a bit of advice go up to a lodge for 2 to 5 years and really hone in on the craft try MANY things as you will get that chance fishing 12 to 14 hours each day, then plan on moving somewhere on the west or northern tip of VAN island or beyond with the uncertanty of the vic /sooke area you ask any guide in this area its getting tougher and tougher as people are going elswhere with these restrictions and trust me its hard to run a buisness with announcements not pending until weeks before it opens and can be very stressfull.

If your really serious expect to fork out some cash and lots of time as you will need your SVOP,MED duties 1or 3A, poc,marine first aid ,Radio certificate and whatever else they trow at you as most lodges NOW wont even look at you if you dont have these by the time off work and paying for them your looking at about 5 grand then you will need your boat inspected and certified stability test more $$$$ call me if you want to know more.....

For me yesterday it was a day to play so went to where I like to got into some beauty fish fed a seal looked to be about 18 to 20 lbs as he made sure to be right beside the boat to "SHOW ME" it then proceded to straighten the hook hope the bugger chokes on it...... took my 2 home and let 2 others go bauty day thats for sure.

Still waiting for the 25 cents LOL LOL

[h=2]BREAKING NEWS
Salmon Regulations for Zone 2 Area's 19&20 to Sherringham Pt.
JUNE 15TH - JULY 15TH
1 Chinook Salmon over 67cm Hatchery OR Wild & 1 Chinook Salmon under 67cm Hatchery OR Wild
Wahooo! NO SLOT LIMITS![/h]

Looking for a FN notice but not finding one.... The quote was from the IO newsletter that came out today

That's good news, now we can keep something of size. Less catch and release.
I'm also glad to hear the news becasue I'm coming back to fish the Sooke area on the 20th.
I've been fishing for trout for the last few weeks but not as much fun as teen+ Springs.
I can't wait to see the DFO posting and then get out there.

Just got the official fishery notice dropped off at Pedder. No 85 cm slot, same one over and one under regs as last year until July 15 and then 2 per day with no maximum size of any kind.

Woo Hoo!!!

Bring it on...

CP

assuming the 15th (Friday)

Back