Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0496-Fraser River Spring Chinook-Areas 18, 19, 20 and 29 - Recreational Fishery Management Actions

In 2012, the Department has identified concerns associated with expected poor
returns of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook to the Fraser River. Management
actions for a return of less than 30,000 chinook to the Fraser River
(management zone 1) were planned pre-season based on the number of spawners in
the 2007 parental-generation (22,000 chinook) and the recent lower than average
return rates. Management of these stocks is based on an in-season assessment of
returns using the cumulative catch per unit effort (CPUE) of chinook at the
Albion Test Fishery, and is managed in three separate zones.
The resulting CPUE from the Albion Test Fishery for the period May 6 to June 9
is indicating that the current predicted return to the mouth of the Fraser of
Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook ranges from 30,000 to 73,000 chinook

Based on this in-season information, the Department is planning to implement
management actions associated with zone 2 (returns to the Fraser between
30,000 -60,000) for Fraser Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook.

Further to FN0380, the Department will be continuing with the "chinook
corridor" with actions similar to 2011 as Fraser River Spring and Summer
Chinook populations pass through the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Fraser River
during June and early July. Details of these measures are outlined below.

1. Subareas 19-1 to 19-4, and 20-5.

Effective 00:01 hrs June 16, 2012 until 23:59 hrs July 15, 2012 the daily limit
is two (2) chinook salmon per day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater
than 67 cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 45cm.

2. Subareas 18-1 to 18-6, 18-9, 18-11, 19-5, 19-6 and a portion of 29-4, and 29-
5 that lies south from a point on the east side of Valdes Island located at
49.05.562N/123.39.989W then extending 57 degrees True for 5 nautical miles to a
point at 49.08.316N/123.33.669W.

Effective 00:01 hrs June 16, 2012 until 23:59 hrs July 15, 2012 the daily limit
is two (2) chinook salmon per day of which only one (1) chinook may be greater
than 67 cm. The minimum size limit in these areas is 62cm.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0496
Sent June 13, 2012 at 16:02
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

great news for sure - head scratching for sidney and the gulf though - may as well just say 1 wild 2 total instead of that ridiculous slot of 62-67! Also, is it different to lump the hatch in with wild? The way I read it, you catch a good size hatchery, you are done for anything further over 67cm. Not sure where the logic is there.

Out today from 10-2. Great day fishing, with no take home results! Fished Aldridge as the wind was up. Lost a fish I would guess that was keepable at the side of the boat in 200 ft of water fishing at 100 ft (anchovy/purple haze) We then moved in to about 80 ft of water and had to chase down a slug of a fish caught at 65 feet on chrome head/anchovy.
Finally caught up to it avoiding losing my gear. 2 days short of a dollar as Tom would say as we released it and it swam away, gracefully. Looked like a fish in the upper 30's as it measured about 20 cm over the slot. Bring on Saturday!!!!!!

Everyone should be putting 2 and 2 together with the latest announcement. It was data from the Albion test fishery that has allowed us to reverse the would be restriction until July 20th. So anyone who thinks not turning in data (heads) log books etc should re-think. yes it is a double edged sword as bad news data could result in restrictions. But think about it....if the data is accurate and the catches are poor, why would you want to keep fishing and killing the few remaining? Will ignoring poor results result in better returns in 4 more years? We should want to know with as much certainty as possible when it is ok to fish and also when it is not. Data is not the enemy...politics is.

Excellent post profisher! It's a long standing historical data set, along with a big leg up from Mother Nature that produced this opportunity for us. Can't wait to get out on Monday, my first day off between now and then but moving forward, how can we pressure DFO to do better with their data if we aren't providing our own? Its a no brainer for me. Some you win and some you lose, but in the end, good data will always help the fish.

Good luck all you guys heading out on Saturday. Can't wait to see the photos of the first JdF Tyee of the season!

CP

Tough call on that Rollie yo do what you think in your mind is best But if they came to us (sportfihing community and guides) like they said they were going to do and play fair id be in. OF all people you the most after you asked some very good questions at the last SFAB meeting you still want to help them ??? WOW...

a few years agoyears ago they came to us (DFO) and first asked us for data and they sat there saying we dont want any seasons shut down WE want to work with you guys to make sure we dont have closures etc they practically preached promising us a get together in JAN to go over the results and discuss future plans it so I bought in I asked for a meeting in late jan NO RESPONSE then FEB again zip 3 days before I went to a show the first restrications were implemented GEEEE thanks alot..... THEY LIED TO ME and the fellow guides like your self who did the log book program.

BUT hey if you can get thru to them and say something like this IF you (DFO) dont F^*K us anymore on area 19/20 and promise in writing that we will have a season so we can make booking,hotel reservations, so clients,tackle shops, marinas,not 2 days prior etc can prepare and not create uncertainty in the industry. in return you will get the data from all the guides in sooke/victoria . I PERSONALLY WILL BE THE FIRST IN LINE TO HELP

Wolf

LETS GO fishing im heading out now and tommorow ill post later good luck looks like a beauty day!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well long day today. out at 5am and home at 5 pm. not as many big boys as the last few days but decent action. Was into 11 strikes and landed 5 springs between 7-17 pounds. A few bigger ones lost.

Out tomorrow with Lipripper.

-Steve

Out today @ posession point area from 3 - 7 first ran two #4 spoons and had 4 hits shallow 35 feet, in the 1 st hour, couldn't get the hooks to stick so switched over to chovies...Purple haze chrome teaser, purple onion flasher...released a mid teens and one real nice mid 20's, seems like the fish are starting to show up in more numbers, lotsa bait all over the place, looking forward to getting out in the mornin!

Fished from 7~2. Only 3 hits, 2 stuck. Couple of 12 pound hatchery fish. Seemed a little slow. We picked one up at the shack and then moved to the bedfords for the other. Awesome day out there.

IT was good again today not like fishfly though . bigest was 16 for me but time to celebrate restrictions are off......
for those looking you will see me....LOL

Wolf

Was slow for us today. Dad got a 10 pounder, and we missed a few other strikes. Maybe tomorrow!

-Steve

P.S Lipripper is bad luck!

Got 2 17 and a 12 and yes steve it was slower today.
Now your going to have to work harder for them....Lippys isnt bad luck just saying!!!!
29 now thats one of the biggest fish ive heard of so far worst part of all of this is we should be in a derby having fun!!!!! thats what really hurts the most....:(:(:(

That derby wasn't for everyone it's only for a select few anyways. Most of us can't get tickets even when it is on.

Back