Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Justin- You left a little early buddy. Hit 5 springs at aldridge after you left. One of them managed to rip my Old mans rod out of his hands and into the water. One of those priceless looks that will be etched into my mind for life.

Also a double header right where you were at in the AM both at 30 ft! Amazing to see both rods pop at the same time!

-Steve

Doom & Glooms brutal on this site.:eek:

Was busy out there today! saw some nice fish hit the deck too! Yesterday was better fishing but really blowing I think most stayed home due to weather. 14.8 hatch was all we could keep but it was nice to be out.

No kidding, maybe I'll go start a thread on the price of fuel or the competency of marine mechanics lol

Nice work Steve, Had a nice morning ourselves. Great to see so many fat fish around! It has been a great start to the season with 5-14 hookup average in a 5hr trip the past few weeks. Way more action during the week with the Ghost town atmosphere giving. Striper Jack has been slaying them too.:p

What depths has everyone been having the most sucess with so far this year? Still new to fishing sooke so if anyone has any tips or tricks they wana pass on im happy to take them. I have veen fishing mostly between 90-120 with anchovies with a 5-6ft leader.
Thanks in advance!

What depths has everyone been having the most sucess with so far this year? Still new to fishing sooke so if anyone has any tips or tricks they wana pass on im happy to take them. I have veen fishing mostly between 90-120 with anchovies with a 5-6ft leader.
Thanks in advance!

When th BIG ones show yup , any day now ....Go with a longer leader , 6-7 ft leader ... and fish form 30 - 80 ft ... the feeders are hugging the bottom

Thanks for a great day yesterday, tigerprawn. First slab of the season - just shy of 24 lbs. But very sad to see the empty sea on a saturday off Sooke. I think we are seeing the end of the Sooke sportfishery. Look at Brentwood Bay, Cowichan Bay and other formerly hustling and booming sportfishing centers - that's going to be Sooke soon. Very sad!

View attachment 3980

Obviously not a hatchery fish. Hope it wasn't from the closed area in Sooke.

When th BIG ones show yup , any day now ....Go with a longer leader , 6-7 ft leader ... and fish form 30 - 80 ft ... the feeders are hugging the bottom

Thanks for the tip, il be trying the longer leader and shallower depths later this week!

Cheers!!!

Obviously not a hatchery fish. Hope it wasn't from the closed area in Sooke.

Probably over the line at Sheringham, where most of the big fish were caught this weekend. Rumour has it there was a 40# taken at the Head on the weekend. Bonk !! Of course that was caught on the other side of the line.

Porcupine mello out!!!!! Someone says they got a nice fish and you jump all over him! And people wonder why no one is putting up reports anymore.

Nice fish boys keep em coming!

Out at the crack of Noon, started at Otter and trolled west into the Flood, no dice, came back and fished Otter for one undersize, slow day for me,. Driller

If you what big fish you must go west. I know they are watching It is what it is and we will have to live with it. I will just take more people out to share the fuel cost.

Dad missed another good one off the head yesterday. Had it on for about 10-12 mins and then flasher pops and gone! 60ft rigger.

-Steve

excuse my ignorance, where is "the head" still trying to learn all the fishing spots, is that beechy head your referring too?

thanks,

Out today 8am-3pm. Hit 5 springs between 50-90ft on the rigger. Bellies full of 2" Squid.

-Steve

You did a lot better than us Steve!!

Back on the water today after 6 weeks absence. Went to Otter point. Fished for 2 and a half hours with not a touch. I was just thinking how difficult this summer fishing is (it is summer isn’t it?) and wishing those nice teenage winter hatchery fish that were around during March/April were still here, when boink the rod went off. Amazingly it turned out to be a short, very fat 11lb hatchery fish. Nothing to write home about but saved the skunking. I guess the fish think it is still winter! It was stuffed with four 4 inch herring and several partially digested ones. It hit an anchovy on purple haze teaser with glow flasher at 90 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
out tonight by myself from 4:30 - 7PM, fished in front of posession point with a few other boats, saw 1 fish netted, finally broke my boats cherry and netted and released a beautty 32" that put up a hell of a fight. I was by myself and luckily was about to send down my second line when i noticed the one down was popping away HARD in the rod holder, managed to get it off the clip and set the tension before it went on one of the longest runs ive had in a long time! Sucks i had to throw it back, but what a rush it was bringing it in by myself! Heres a photo i took just before i threw her back...

photo.jpg

Back