Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

out tonight by myself from 4:30 - 7PM, fished in front of posession point with a few other boats, saw 1 fish netted, finally broke my boats cherry and netted and released a beautty 32" that put up a hell of a fight. I was by myself and luckily was about to send down my second line when i noticed the one down was popping away HARD in the rod holder, managed to get it off the clip and set the tension before it went on one of the longest runs ive had in a long time! Sucks i had to throw it back, but what a rush it was bringing it in by myself! Heres a photo i took just before i threw her back...

View attachment 4011

How deep was the rigger? in how much water?
Thanks

Out early in the am, started at Possession saw what i think was a Humpback and a baby, followed along down to the Trap quiet from what I could see. One hit about 7 at 50 ft. came back to Secratetary. one pass on the outside and caught and released one at 70 ft. Chrome Head and Betsy Flasher. In by 11, Good Day Driller

YES they were humpbacks saw them too got a nice fat 20 lber today(hatchery) and let a wild one go, so thought id measure it up came in at exaclly 32.5 inches so with the regs next weekend would have been able to keep it if it was wild,,,,, so looked up on a conversion table

85 cm = 33.5 inches. How in the world they came up with that measurement baffles me??????

got that fish at 89 ft did see good bait and fish on the sounder and sounded like a few fish were caught saw maybe 10 boats for the day. was kinda nice....

Last edited by a moderator:
The notice I read said 85 cm, which I assume without having a tape on hand would make it close to 33 inches? Or are my old eyes seeing 5's that are actually 3's?

out today 7-2:30. Hit 5 springs at the head. all 10-15 pounds. All Depths. Lost one good one right tight to the head over 20 for sure.

Saw a few springs taken.

Got a good whale show 3 times today humpbacks came pretty close today.

-Steve

Sudsy if you're the 20-21ft Trophy I was just next to you when you were netting, too bad it was a wild fish. Saw it go down a couple times ...looked like good times

out tonight by myself from 4:30 - 7PM, fished in front of posession point with a few other boats, saw 1 fish netted, finally broke my boats cherry and netted and released a beautty 32" that put up a hell of a fight. I was by myself and luckily was about to send down my second line when i noticed the one down was popping away HARD in the rod holder, managed to get it off the clip and set the tension before it went on one of the longest runs ive had in a long time! Sucks i had to throw it back, but what a rush it was bringing it in by myself! Heres a photo i took just before i threw her back...

View attachment 4011

got these two just west of possession 85-91ft in about 140ft. Both on tom mack 3.5 silver spoon

june062012.jpg

GEE fishfly good work you should become a guide .....with your talent for coho too...LOL LOL im just kidding with you.... and wheres my 25 cents!!!!!!!!

Change what i posted earlier thanks pro

Sudsy if you're the 20-21ft Trophy I was just next to you when you were netting, too bad it was a wild fish. Saw it go down a couple times ...looked like good times

got these two just west of possession 85-91ft in about 140ft. Both on tom mack 3.5 silver spoon

june062012.jpg

Yepp that was me! Definetly good times, had a big grin for a day and a half, wish it was after the 15th so i coulda kept it!!!

Urghh...dam just got back from Winnipeg.....Its cold here and WTF is with all the wind......Good posts guys BTW.....

Maybe a little window in AM....

Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind west 25 to 35 knots diminishing to 15 to 25 near midnight and to
10 to 15 late Sunday morning. Wind increasing to west 15 to 20
Sunday afternoon. A few showers beginning Sunday afternoon.

Im planning on heading out in the AM for the ebb, so far ive only fished the flood, any hot spots for the ebb??? I was planning on posession area....

Fished 11-3 today. Had 6 hits and landed 3 springs and 1 wild coho. 46-60'

I gave up my rod today. Figured id let the pappy have some fun since it was getting all the action.

Dad was asleep or somthing missed a few good bangers on my rod.

-Steve

Lots of talk of multiple fish days but almost no pictures. Maybe that's best anyways I'm already jealous not so much of the fish caught what makes me jealous is the number of times some of you guys get to fish sooke every week. Keep it up I'll be out there soon enough.

Probably over the line at Sheringham, where most of the big fish were caught this weekend. Rumour has it there was a 40# taken at the Head on the weekend. Bonk !! Of course that was caught on the other side of the line.
I was right beside him and watched him let it go....It was a brute...

Lots of talk of multiple fish days but almost no pictures. Maybe that's best anyways I'm already jealous not so much of the fish caught what makes me jealous is the number of times some of you guys get to fish sooke every week. Keep it up I'll be out there soon enough.

I havent been camera happy these days. Just trying to get them back ASAP.

On a side note was out today 6am-10am Hit 6 springs and missed 2. One was high teens low 20's and the rest were 10 pound cookie cutters. 130' on the rigger. Whales moved in fish went deep.

-Steve

Out today from 830-12 at pisession, no hits, a few boats out there didnt see any nets out, saw a cool killer whale show, got super windy out so we headed in...

Out from 9-1 at Possession and Secretary, about to pack it in , one side already cleaned off and banged a 32 inch Hatch, 59ft off the Rigger in 70Ft of water just West of Possesion,Glow Head and Green Flasher. Good Day Driller... finally something to throw on the Barbi as the Old Lady was getting a bit short with all the ( too big-to small ********) :)

Beauty flat calm day out there today so took a run out to Sheringham. Trolled for 3 and half hours with not a touch. Thought it was a skunking for sure. Then got two hits in 20 minutes. First was a tap-tap which yielded nothing but a chewed anchovy. Second was a real pin popper and after a short fight we managed to boat a very nice 17lb hatchery fish. Purple haze teaser head at 90 feet. Nothing more after that so quit at 1:30pm. About 4 other boats there but did not see other nets in the water.

Fished 6-3:30 today. Hit 6 springs 5 between 20-26 pounds. one about 12. One 23 pound hatch to show for it! Was off the hook for a while today.

-Steve

Back