Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Fished 5am -1 today. Hit a tripple in the morning even the surface rod had a spring on. It was awsome. Landed those and let them all go. 10-13 pounders.

Moved on towards the head and had my chovy smashed off the rigger. Missed it. Next one was a nice chubby 20 pound wild. Let him go after a quick pic. After that things slowed down. Headed to the trap and trolled for awhile and nailed a nice 16 pounder at about noon. Trolled home with only one more hit after.

Fun day on the water with Dad!

-STeve

Finally a day without wind + sun + fish = great day on the water. Couldn't ask for better luck, 4 bites, 4 fish, 2 over slot , 2 under slot. Nothing huge but 14, 13, 11 & 10 lbs to show for 4 hrs off Beechy Head and in the bay. Worth missin work for 1st trip to Sooke this year. Hot setup was chartreuse JDF head with Betsy flasher 35-60 ft.

Out for a couple of hours tonight at the head--quiet for me--no bites, birds or fish--sounds like it was an am show Kayla dog?
T2

Went out from 5-8 @ posession, no bites, lotsa boats, didnt see any action....back at the boat launch there was a group cleaning 4 salmon, not sure when they got them but i didnt see any nets in the water when I was out there....

Fished 8-12. Random bites at 9:30, 10:30, 11:30 & 12. Only aw 2 other fish at the dock. There was a good number of boats out there today.

Frigging seals! If you start up your main engine and stay right on top of the seal so that your line is right below the boat, he will let go of the fish to surface and breath. He'll come back for it but if you keep on him you have a chance. Sorry...advice sucks when it's too late. Nice ling though! Did ya get it on that greenling?

Thanks for the advice, was trying to do that with the kicker, but too slow. Will try that next time, but hopefully we don't run into that with such a big fish next time ...

Caught the ling on the "not good enough chovies" that we had left over from salmon fishing.

SookeSalmonJune20th2012008.jpg

SookeSalmonJune20th2012004.jpg

SookeSalmonJune20th2012009.jpg

My Camera skills have gotten better not as much land behind. But I was smart and took the pics a few kms from the kill site!

Enjoy!

-Steve

Nice fish thanks for the pics! You keep them all? It looks like fish #2 still had life in its eyes.

Out from 6-11 Trap, 5 hits , two to the boat. One about 18 and the other 15, anchovy, two at 82 Ft , others between 58 -70 Good Day Driller :)

Yea you can sometimes tell just from the eyes if it is alive or dead. I get a bit of a chill sometimes when I bonk and instantly see the life flicker out of their eyes. Got to keep some for the table though!

That fish is eyeing the water just look at him he has thanked you for the fun and is ready to go! Nice release.

I would say between my Dad and I we have landed 45-50 springs this year. Kept 2 because they would have died and 5 to eat. The rest swam away without the use of the net! Love the gaff release and single barbless!

-Steve

Yea you can sometimes tell just from the eyes if it is alive or dead. I get a bit of a chill sometimes when I bonk and instantly see the life flicker out of their eyes. Got to keep some for the table though!

That fish is eyeing the water just look at him he has thanked you for the fun and is ready to go! Nice release.

Alive fish always look down when out of the water. Nice fish FFG!

NIce work FFG ~ hard to read that while at work! awk! I've developed an uncontrollable twitch after seeing those pics. Great to hear there are fish around and refreshing to hear so many of them were released. Shows a great respect for the sport.

one day I will have kids and I want them to have as much fun as I do when it comes to fishing! I do my part. I usually dont want to keep the ones that are hooked light if I know they will swim away unharmed.

-Steve

one day I will have kids and I want them to have as much fun as I do when it comes to fishing! I do my part. I usually dont want to keep the ones that are hooked light if I know they will swim away unharmed.

-Steve

Really nice fish again Steve. Your catches are awesome and 50 plus salmon (mostly released) puts you in the NHL class of fishing. I guess I'm not a beginner any more; more like the fishing equivalent of a hockey pee-wee or midget LOL (not sure of the hockey terminology since I am a soccer man (England in the quarter finals of Euro 2012 -yeah!).

I have been out twice since April, but only caught two fish to date. Out of town for a bit now, so glad to hear you are putting them back so there might be one or two left for us midgets when I get back!! LOL

K, quiet every one.... R.S. found the Sooke reports..

Now I am going to have to go into the Victoria thread and fabricate some story about me and a buddy nailing a couple mid teens and released a couple smallers out on the flats.

Sorry R.S. were full..

images

:D

Back