Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Fished sunday afternoon, Had 6 springs on released a 12 and 15 pounders.

Fished monday night, Nada.

Fished tuesday night, 5 minutes in break my one and only salmon rod. So frustrated I decided to run just the bottom half of the rod and reel. drop my gear down to 66 ft. And 5 minutes later 18 pounder on. Wow what a fight with only a half a rod. It was head shaking and my whole forarms were jolting! There was a good cheer when it hit the net! Missed 2 others just minutes later. It seems a sandwhich was more important then a pin popper to Dad :p

Fished wednesday 7-1 two springs on both long line releases!

They are there, There just hideing on structure! Small lures seem to be working ;) Cheers

Steve

Out at the crack of ten, no bait ,used the magic hardware at Muir and got.. Nada, moved to Otter at about two seemed to be a bite at the end of the flood, finally got some action on the spoons,one spring about 14 on a wonderbread coyote and a chartruse flasher, several pinks and a fiesty show ho, will take bait next time. Good Day Driller

WAY better today got a few nice springs and a pleasnt surprise of soxs about that 8 to 10 lb range and what beautiful weather today all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!

going to launch from cheanuh for the first time and fish the shack... how much for a single launch? any concern with low tides and a 17 ft boat (ie. is it any worse than jocks)
Cash only?

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Lunk, You got no worries at Cheanuh for tides. Its $8.50. There was a hodge podge of salmon species at the trap this am.
One boat said they did well for 10# springs but 1 mile out from Beachey Head, down 80'

Jocks would be a problem at first light tomorrow am.

I too am one that frequents this forum but does not post as much as I should. I would like like to thank all the pros and the locals for all the advice they have put forth on this forum for those of us struggling to figure this thing called fishing out lol

My recent trips
August 7th was out with a friend and his 2 kids to get some pinks and give the kids a chance to fight some fish. My buddy was reeling one in and kept telling me that he was reeling but not gaining any line (Level wind for the kids), i told him to check the drag, he says no luck, I look out and see the fins break the water adn quickly check the drag myself, luckily we managed to bring him in and he weighed in at 23 lbs. We ended up with a bunch of pinks and this chinook so it was a good day.

August 13th
I was out with my best friend to otter point early. It started out slow then turned into a gong show...we ended up with 9 double headers, including losing 2 fish on the same reel in (long story) lol, 2 chinook and 6 pinks.. many pin poppers etc
so many times up and down with the riggers that the mounts were coming off the boat lol ( I noticed this when one of the rod tips was dragging in the water lol....spent next weekend repairing the rigger mounts

August 21
windy day so we stayed near secretary, the tide dragged me through the gap so I went around the island to come over the hump and try to get into the boats near possession point...we never got past the hump....too many fish lol again it was a gong show out there many double headers, pin poppers adn 2 screamers we never saw. :(
all in all we managed 5 chinook in the teens and 1 pink from 630 am till around 10:30 when the wind started picking up...

Thanks again everyone for all the information they pass on to all of us rookies. This is my best fishing year since I moved here on 2007, and I hope it continues..now I jsut have to figure out the Halibut

Ian
17' Whaler

Real pinkfest at Otter this morning. Landed 7 between 9:00 and 10;00 then was letting them go to try to save room for a spring, but no luck. Let a nice wild ho go. Didn't see anyone playing anything of size.

Got another fish in today. My last day of vacation so it's back to weekend warrior from here on out. Saw a decent bite in the morning and lost a low teener at the boat. Lots of pinks and they were a lot smaller today than earlier in the week. We didn't get any over 5lbs. There is also too many shakers out there I tried to get away from the pinks by running a spoon but the shakers were on it faster than the pinks on bait. In the afternoon we finally found some springs a little deeper than I have been fishing. We hit a double header that featured a jumping chinnok and landed both, then got another the next pass. All 3 springs were 12lb jacks. Tried for another but no luck so we ended the day with another small pink and a nice 8lb hatch coho, also a jumper. Took home 8 fish, great day!

The highlight was when my buddy got his first pink, I had it in the fish bucket in the transom and told him to be carefull. He went to smack it, missed and the fish flopped out of the boat. Priceless, it was his first time out this year so at the time he really wanted that 3lb pink.

Fished Otter this morning and like others have said real pink fest. did get 1 spring about 12 lbs purple haze 45 Ft. out again tomorrow.

Fished 10:30 am to 4:00 pm and picked up 3 teens (15, 17 and an 18lber) on anchovies. There seems to be a lot of Chinook around if you can get to them through the Pinks but they seem to be smaller on average than last year.

Good last 3 days for my crew and a buddy got alot of fish was from Possesion all the way west to otter and sheringham a few springs I got into some soxs 3 days ago 5 of them and BIG then nothing so im sure there is a few around i got them looking for springs so was pleasant side surprise!!! even got a about a 12 lb hatch coho with a big kype on it, and some wilds I tossed back. hope we get them big whites if there is any on there way before I go hunting....

Wolf

Relatively new to the board. Fishing my own rig for the first time this summer so cheers to everyone for all the pointers not just the fishing but the way things (should) roll out there. Got my first teen last weekend and out again tomorrow lets hope I got somn' worth posting.

The whites may be coming. Was at Renny 25 and 26th and 3 of 10 springs were white. All over 20. Hopefully they will hit Sooke soon.

Fished secretary this morning from 6-12ish, fogggggy !!!! thanks to wolf for getting me around the spit. caught about 10 pinks overall and a few hits were missed .. was rewarded with two springs around twenty around noon in 220ft of water and about 65 on the riggers just on the west side of secretary ... good day overall

WELL I went to sheringham to "get away" and found 2 springs and a few pinks but really weedy.

And hey no problem guys always willing to help out fellow boaters must admit was a bit hairy going out today boats everywhere sitting there to go around the corner you didnt see them but there was at leats 10 boats in the fog there one was even on the mud flats on our port side... LOL LOL

Wolf

out from 7- 2 fished trailerpark in the am two nice springs , shallow 35- 37 on Rigger, trolled to Muir, got two more Springs, one 8Lb Hatch Ho and several fiesty picnks, awsesome day but tricky coming out of harbour Good day Driller

Had the weekend off...first days this month and the sleep was needed! Friday afternoon was the last outing from noon to 5pm. Landed 4 springs, lost 5 more, (nothing bigger than 20 pounds) a nice 7 pound hatchery coho and a small sockeye. Tossed back 4 or 5 pinks. There are springs around but they seem to be more plentiful in a couple of spots and less abundant in the others. Hopefully they stay a round a bit longer.

Back