Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

P.S. Why does every second boat running back from Sheringham still insist on running right through the middle of everyone at O.P.. Not a big deal one at a time, but it became a bit tiresome when it was happening every 30 seconds.

ISNT it great....try it every fricken day yesterday i went past sherinham to get away from the mayhem and im all by myself and this old looking sort of homemade commercial looking things comes my way im the only boat out there. and i had to move out of his way i yell over "am I crowding you"????? he had no clue.
You should see how bad it is at possesion ive had people pass at 20 ft full bore and donk blink an eye......people please wake up moving over and running on the outside really isnt to much to ask..... is it????

Heard you had a fun day out there Rollie.... fun times hey!!!!!!!that suck man hopefully better today...

Good luck Wolf

Fished Weds/Thurs/Fri at possession. As Profisher said wednesday was the last good day. Got a late start on wednesday and got out around 11 with my little kids. Fished til 130 and went 3/6 on springs all in the teens. Out at first light thursday and nothing to show but pinks, sox, coho for a full day pull. Out again first light friday and managed a 35LB mid-morning. Real slow thursday/Friday, two of the slowest days for springs this summer for me.

Got out for the consultants derby with drilleryells and no complaints (besides not winning)...non stop gong show for pinks much of the morning with a few springs mixed in. Nothing big - 16, 14, 12..lost another 12-13 and a nice hit during garbage time. Probably 15 pinks or so with a couple up around 8-9 pounds, also a sox in the mix. First time out in Sooke since like June, so it was a good time. Stuck with Muir the whole time with all the springs I think at 70-75' - all on bait with betsy & glow flashers, and oki/bloody nose/purple haze heads. We only saw 1 other decent size caught while we were there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed the day out there Deewar, bit of a chinese fire drill in the morning, never seen so many boats at muir. Good job on the derby, food was awesome and the new Hotel is a great venue.$15000 to local enhancement( NICE ), Grand draw prize to the volunteer was a bonus Good Day Driller

Did the pink thingy for the pink salmon festival this morning what a hoot.
Got a little too rough though so had to go in early.
The one young fellow is absoulutely hooked on it, never been out before.
Got a nice one around 7 lbs for his first fish.
The kid was pumped
He was showing off his fish to everyone
LOOK WHAT I GOT, LOOK WHAT I GOT....
Brings back memories from 50 or so years ago......
Dan.

Kudos to the pink salmon festival guys.... I wish I could have participated but being "between boats" made that not an option.

Talked to a few guys I know that took a load of kids on and I saw nothing but smiling faces. I really hope I can do it next year. Nothing beats that

Roy, yesterday reminded me why I wasn't with the crowd down at PP or the trap the past few weeks. Yesterday the crowd showed up at Otter. It would be ok if when it is busy that everyone did the up the inside back the outside....but nope doesn't happen. So just dealt with a couple of pinks as I started up the 70ft line and a boat comes down the inside about 15 feet away. His lines get into both my inside and middle riggers. So completely shut down and a big mess. Tell the guys in the boat (not with the best of tones or language) to stay on the outside coming back....well they didn't like that and threatened to meet me in the parking lot...whatever. Then I noticed their hooks hanging off my downriggers..... a big Gami treble fully barbed. So I ran back to them threw the hooks back at them and told them they didn;t not only know the courtesy rules but also the fishing rules. Called them poachers and then another threat from them to meet in the parking lot. All on a day when I was given some crap news just as I arrived to drop my gear at 6:30. The wife called to tell me she decided to take our very sick lab "Nacho" in to be put down. He was only 6 or 7 years old but had possibly eaten something poisonousness on a recent family trip up Island. He went downhill over 4 days from a limp to not being able to walk, blind and not able to move. Very sad. Never had a chance to say goodbye or tell him he had been a great dog and pal. Got him from the pound and had 3 great years with him...one of the best dogs I've had.

Sorry to hear about your Dog Rollie. My deepest condolences.

Terry

Sorry to hear of the bad luck Profisher. I got a lab and I feel your pain. I also feel your frustration on the water. Tight lines and calm seas!

Sorry to hear about your dog Rollie, lost my best buddy years ago and have never been able to bring myself to get another one.
I sure miss him.
My buddy just lost his dog awhile ago, we were out camping and it just wasn't the same. He wasn't around catching his tail on fire in the camp fire or getting into something.
Their good buddies, always happy to see you.
Dan.

Did the pink thingy for the pink salmon festival this morning what a hoot.
Got a little too rough though so had to go in early.
The one young fellow is absoulutely hooked on it, never been out before.
Got a nice one around 7 lbs for his first fish.
The kid was pumped
He was showing off his fish to everyone
LOOK WHAT I GOT, LOOK WHAT I GOT....
Brings back memories from 50 or so years ago......
Dan.

Way to go Dan. Glad the pink festival with the kids went well. You have given the kid a memory that will last for years......and that is just terrific!
English

Well first off a few more fish today manged 2 yesterday and a whack of pinks today very snotty and more pinks thank god..... LOL

For you Rollie all i heard was some sort of shiat going on up there and some jack-butt getting caught in you . what a way to start work F&*K, As for your dog that really really sucks we may not get along great but the times you were down at the dock with your dog I always stopped and petted your dog i thought he was awesome and gave him a cookies and truely am sorry for your loss as he was a great dog.........

Sorry

Wolf

Don't know you Rollie but seen you out a few times up at SP. Sorry to hear about your lab, being a dog lover first and people second, it sure strengthens the statement "man's best friend". See you on the water
Zinger

Sorry Rollie.... I lost my Dakota(shepard) at 6..

You know they are not around as long as you and the same short time they become such a part of your life.
Still a dog lover and have two right now but "the day" is still always a kick in nootz

To Nacho
echeershat.gif

Pourin a sip

Thanks everyone, its been a very sad family here the past 36 hours. Here he is the first summer we had him on his first time on the boat.

1stfishing1.jpg

Took out 2 kids for the festival today and they stepped the first time ever on a boat. I knew it was going to get rough out there so I prepared for the worst. When we got through the race passage we were pounding 4-5 ft waves. I told them we will turn around as soon as they like or feel bad. Nope, they were future navy seals. They yahooed the whole way and didn't mind the 4 ft chop while cranking in some pinks. Had a great time even though I wished we could have had better weather to get them into more and more relaxing fishing. Told them to sit while fighting the fish. Worked ok but I am still rocking as I write. Once in the wind shelter near Pedder I let them drive the boat for a bit and they had a hoot. Good times when you see those kids eyes light up.

So deeply sorry for your loss Rollie....I know that pit in your stomache pain well with the loss of mine this year.

Combat fishing at its worst this summer, some real pieces of work out there this season.

Sorry to hear Profisher, lost our great dane a few years ago after a trip up island, sounds like similar circumstances; I feel your pain, It is the shi7$...

Very deepest condolences Pro and family.
In time I hope you can rescue another animal.

Back