Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Well Profisher, all I can say is wow....WOW!. At least I know they are there, so I will continue to apply all the tips and lessons very kindly provided by the members of this forum, and who knows, I may even catch one of those large springs one day....LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Englishman, I'm not from the sooke area and am following this thread till you catch a big spring!!!LOL Can't wait till you post a pic of a slab!!! Anyday now... Good luck. I've learned so much from the great people of this forum aswell.....

HMMMMM went west looking for all the mighty tyee,,, zip sounds like it was slow every where we need these big morning floods to kick in to maybe see some good numbers again....
Good luck Wolf

went out first light and ended up finally getting into some springs! they have been eluding me most of the summer. Nothing huge, an 18, 12, sockeye, and a good size pink. All in all, not a bad day.

First scratch morning in some time this morning. Out at 5:30, 2nd boat to arrive at Otter. Nothing, stayed an hour and a half then ran to the light, still nothing but a sockeye and some pinks. Managed a 22, a hatch coho and pinks on the afternoon trip. I think some whales must have made a pass through the area before we did at first light. To quiet everywhere most of the day.

Out today managed a 28 and 25 not to good of a day for hours spent, back at again tomorrow hopefully there back on again . Taking way more bait tomorrow. damm pinks.

Heading out with a five and seven year old tomorrow, so I may target pinks for the first time since I was that age. Are they being caught as incidentals at Secretary, Otter, the Trap etc., or are you getting them out further in the tide lines?

GOT a lot just off the basin they are everywhere VERY slow right now from everywhere from what ive heard was able to scratch up 1 teener today and lost one but damn pinks were making it hard... out again tommrow

Three teens today to 17 lbs, one clipped Coho and some monster size Pinks. One Chinook had a big scar on it from something big and hungry. The Pinks are everywhere, at all depths; makes it hard to use bait for Chinook, especially early. Newfieboy’s 9 year old daughter caught the 17; which is her biggest so far.

Went out with Dirty Oar and Roe Bags for a sniff on the high slack off Possesion; one 17 lb spring and a bunsch of pinkys; a wonderful frozen treat between 38-77ft between 4p-8p.......everone know its pinky;sing it now!!.lol

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW ... pinks , got a teenager before the pinks ate all our bait. Moved out and found the socks, in by noon on friday. Nice sized socks, used Gay Pride , seems the pinks didnt like that one

I have posted a few times, but I am a long time reader. Greatly appreciate all the great fishing info and tips. Thought I should finally post a pic. Out today from 7-11 at Otter. Beautiful day. Got lucky and landed this nice teener. Anchovie at 50ft.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 72
I have posted a few times, but I am a long time reader. Greatly appreciate all the great fishing info and tips. Thought I should finally post a pic. Out today from 7-11 at Otter. Beautiful day. Got lucky and landed this nice teener. Anchovie at 50ft.

Good job, nice fish !

Yesterday, got a doube header of 22 and 18 at Otter in the morning and the usual pink orgy. But didn't see many springs at the table nor in any nets. Profisher may have had one at the same time as we were dealing with the doube header mess...?

Today was dead for springs for us in the derby. Tried Otter in the morning, harbour mouth, secretary and even the trap. Nada. No socks either among the pinks. Very slow today for many.

Chris... I did get a fish in the morning yesterday but not sure with the fog who was around me at the time. Definitely has slowed down for springs with Wednesday being the last really good day. Lots of boats today and had to leave Otter to find more room to fish.

Fished Sooke for the first time this year, used to live there so it was hard to believe it took me so long to get out this year. But with young kids the Nootka, Ucy and Bam trips were a priority. Gotta choose my time on the water very wisely :)

Hit the water at 0900 and landed a 19 and 0930 and a 27 around noon; both at Otter. Lotsa pinks and a bonus hatchery Coho in the wash while a 7-year-old was reeling a line in so I could clean some weed off. A fantastic day on the water. The 27 was landed by a friend, his first time salmon fishing. Both springs landed on a 5 inch, Titan watermelon spoon behind a chartreuse flasher - 6 foot leader. First @ 70 feet and the second was @ 82 trolling 2.7 to 3 knots. I could not believe how slow many of the guys were trolling today. I realize virtually everyone in Sooke is using bait...but pick up the pace and cover some water. Crab trap was empty with the exception of a lonely starfish.

P.S. Why does every second boat running back from Sheringham still insist on running right through the middle of everyone at O.P.. Not a big deal one at a time, but it became a bit tiresome when it was happening every 30 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back