SOOKE Reports, Fall/Winter 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Doug I'll follow you tomorrow so it will be a b train. :D Was a little sloppy first thing then cleared up and flattened out by 10 or so. Ended up with 6 coho and 4 winters, didn't loose very many today. The fresh herring I scooped last fall is working well. Trayed lots last year and using it now as it won't hold another year in the freezer. Impressed so far that the bellies don't fall out at all...seems that the year long freezing has toughened them up nicely. Hope to run into more in the next few outings for next year. Saved all my styro bait trays and zip locks, so I'm ready. Saw one bait ball today but it broke up quickly so never attempted to scoop any.

hey rollie what do you do when you run out of fingers and toes to count your fish for the day?

i witnessed a tragedy on the local dock yesterday...3 guys(between ages 45ish to 75ish...12 springs...they had a beautiful 24 hourston glasscraft i have been admiring on there trailer and on the water all year...im putting on a show for some tourists with the seal and had actually had a big speel to them about how we had caught too many fish i couldnt keep count[:p] (not 19 tho!:D ) but how we had kept the one coho and one hatchery spring of 8 pounds...and let all the other fish go to get bigger and how im already stocked up for the winter with sockeye...so back to the guys with 12 springs...i see it...im furious...im walkin away when i politely ask..."catch any coho today guys??" they respond like they just won the superbowl of fishing..."they are all coho!!" i walk back and give these oldtimers a science lesson about how to identify between coho and chinook...? furthermore the size of these "coho?" were so small i wouldnt keep them if they were a coho...(5 pound springs guys? im all for it if they are hatchery and your buddy doesnt have fish in the freezer to bonk one and a second bleeder?...but these guys took it to the next level...people wonder why we dont have multiple spring days as much as we should off our waters....?
another thing on my mind is that coho rule....it is not fair...nor smart to have this 1 wild..3 hatchery rule...should be...first 2 fish and your done...have that in october say....september...i think should be 2 also..but im fine with 1....this is something we need to voice at the next sfab meeting....in the charlottes....if a guy only has 2 springs, hes allowed 6 coho to take home...most are all wild...i dont mind having the smaller limits...but lets not cull thru 20 fish to get the one we want...
i am willing to admit ive bonked my share of juvenile fish...but i am starting to realize how much fish myself and close family need...we definately dont need 5 pound springs to get us thru the winter...especially when we all got to load up on sockeye this year...

Two weekends ago we got into a small herring ball off of Possesion, we got a few scoops in, all were small herring 2"-3". Last year this time we were scooping full size herring. Hope to find some bigger ones soon.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Hey Doug I'll follow you tomorrow so it will be a b train. :D Was a little sloppy first thing then cleared up and flattened out by 10 or so. Ended up with 6 coho and 4 winters, didn't loose very many today. The fresh herring I scooped last fall is working well. Trayed lots last year and using it now as it won't hold another year in the freezer. Impressed so far that the bellies don't fall out at all...seems that the year long freezing has toughened them up nicely. Hope to run into more in the next few outings for next year. Saved all my styro bait trays and zip locks, so I'm ready. Saw one bait ball today but it broke up quickly so never attempted to scoop any.

No rain it was accually mice but like rollie said a bit sloppy not to bad though only had 2 chummers LOL LOL even the sun came out and warmed up like them forcasts for 30 to 50 mm rain !!!!!!
Wont be out again till wed so ill phone you for a report Doug thanks

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Was out today. Sure was a lot slower then earlier in the week and even on Saturday. Didn't see very many fish caught and heard of a few here and there. We were able to get 2 hatch cohos and 1 wild between 6-10 pounds and also a spring about the same size. we moved from out deep to otter and tried winter springs and caught a little one we let go and then were lucky and we landed a 23 pounder. Will try to post pictures but still not quite sure how.

Was out today for 4 hours from 1:30-4:30 hit 3 fish landed 2 wild Cohos and lost one. All 124 ft on the rigger.

-Steve

Got out around 9:30am and managed to get 8 to the boat. All Coho but a little 5 lb feeder which we let go. Got them very deep, 150 to 180 feet in 260 feet of water. The largest was a clipped 14lber which was also a double header. The others were all under 10lbs. Not as many around to today, we were lucky to find them deep. Green and white glow spoons and glow hootchies were the ticket. There was a number of anchored Halibut guys south east of Otter for the time we were out there, must be their last kick at the can before DFO sticks us with another early closure. Hard to believe it is necessary with the reduction to 1 Butt, per day which greatly reduced the sport catch this year.

Wow killer day. Flat butt calm, not to cold, not to warm and nice big Coho's. 7 till 11 am and kept 17, 15, 14, 12, 10, coho's and a 9 lb chum. Lost 3 or 4 more, one bust us off. The 15, 14 and 10 pounders were hatcheries. Off the bluffs in 500 feet. Herring from last year again.

Here are a couple of happy ladies from the other day.

DSC_0181.jpg

Tried for Coho late this morning for a few hours, Gorgeous sunny flat calm day was perfect except for the fishing. Did not get a bite.
The Jelly fish did not help, every time you check your gear every thing was covered with small Jelly fish from your bait/lure to the canon ball. Looked like some Jelly fish spawn was going on. You could even see them on the surface. I could not get away from them, they were in close 300ft. of water all the way out to 600 ft. of water shallow or deep. Quite a few boats out there did not see any one catching either. At the dock there were a few being cleaned at the gutting station but not many.

Yes those were on the news the other night, they are not jelly fish but some type of organizom and they have never been here before. I thought they were too as it was gross the other day as well got sooo much on the line almost like having weed on the riggers and lines.

I was hitting most of them up off the tin shed the other day on that line of 450 to 550 depth even got another chum about 14 lbs thought it was a big spring the way it fighted screaming out line love those fish for a fight !!!!!

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Kept a couple of Coho around 10 or 11 lbs. We were hitting them down 130 feet in about 460 feet of water but could not find any that were clipped. Tried drift fishing for Hali in the afternoon, no luck. Had the same problem with the weird jellyfish like things.

Fished Friday, hooked 5 wild Coho and kept two and one 10lb feeder. The jelly fish made for a lot of work yesterday. I had to cleaned the gear every 15 minute or my flashers, and hook sets were contaminated and obviously nothing would ever bite that crap.

All my fish were at 125 to 135' all on bait.

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Yes those were on the news the other night, they are not jelly fish but some type of organizom and they have never been here before. I thought they were too as it was gross the other day as well got sooo much on the line almost like having weed on the riggers and lines.
I would say not jellyfish too.... they almost looked like some kinda egg sack??
Tonnes of the things at JR on Wednesday

Look like a jelly, but with a small round copper coloured solid inside. It seemed like the bait stayed clean on the real deep gear. They came up on the rigger and the clip but the gear was ok. The bait above 100 feet got plastered all the time.

still fish out there couldn't find big ones though just fishing the AM with smiley - coho's up to just under 10 (biggest was hatch), everywhere from 90 to 160'. Jelly things were a pain, but no where near as bad as the reports had me expecting - usually just caught up on the release clip and above the flasher. Sounds like a few biggees in high teens were caught. We just ran the typical plastic.

On the topic of 'cluster**ck' - this one met the definition. We knew it was time to pack it in when this hit. All gear recovered which was a miracle since the port side cannonball was wrapped around the starboard cannonball and stuck on the motor (not the prop). Good times.

sooke006_1024x768.jpg

Nasty, a total cluster F!All been there..
Landed 1 chum, 1 hatch and 2 wild coho between 7-11lbs. Fished from from 730a-11am off the T/S, H/Mouth and Secretary between 300- 560ft of water. It seemed that near the tide line was better;)
Heard lot of guys were still getting fish, especially down deep. Heard R/Fish got a 17lb coho and there was chatter at the ramp of a 19lb coho a few days ago. White hootchey got 95% of our fish today and the combo that has been working since the end of Sept was dead, who knows?....

Fished 4 hours this afternoon from 12-4 hit 1 feeder and 1 wild coho. Coho was about 13 pounds. Good scrapper. Got him at 124ft in 450ft of water. On a green glow coyote spoon.

-Steve

Red Hot was on fire today. Hit 8 fish between 7:30 and 10:30, 6 to the boat, 2 lost, 2 kept. First thought that both kept were coho (8 and 13 lbs) but turned out that the bigger was a chum. Never caught a bright silver chum in the ocean before so I had some difficulties to figure this out at first. Inside the mouth gave it away. The other 6 fish we released beside the boat were all between 10 and 13 lbs and had the adipose fin on so I rather let them go for wild coho that trying to figure them out in length of time. 1 or 2 of them might have been chum too. So you were right, Rockfish! Lesson learnt. Even got crabs AND the trap back! Lol Short but awesome trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back