SOOKE Reports, Fall/Winter 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by Luna

Been a lot of fun out there the last few weeks. Good size,action,weather and water. I keep wondering how winter spring fishing is going to compete with this[:p]. The only way it could compete is if you were in Cravens boat off the W/Front or Oak Bay nailing fish;)
Nov,Dec can be wild #'s for winters but only "true" 5-7lber's all day; tough problem I guess; whats your biggest Nov,Dec winter. In the new year is when I always get my bigger winter fish.

It is what it is. The fact we can fish/catch salmon 12 months of the year on SVI is phenominal.

No doubt the influx of US hatchery fish over the last few years has made the fishery far more consistant.

If you work at it, there are plenty of double digit wints to be had.

At the end of the day, a fresh 5# fish tastes just as good as anything and at least I'm fishing.

Fingers crossed for another good winter of fishing.

whats your biggest Nov,Dec winter.

I am a sporadic Sooke winter fisher. There's seems to be times when bigger ones are here for awhile, then gone again to somewhere else. Last year, for about 2 weeks in December, there were schools of 10 pound winter springs from secretary to the bluffs. Could fish a spoon with no flasher right on the bottom and have as much action as you want.

About 5 years ago, there was a week or two around xmas that was crazy, with winter springs around 15 pounds, between secretary and possession. One day I went out with two buddies and one of my downriggers broke, so we were fishing just one rod ... and still limited out on big ones in an hour and a half. Haven't seen anything like it since though.

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/juandesooka

last year J.F from the time the coho left until i finally took the boat out in the end of jan. it was non-stop action from the get go for the springers in the areas you talked about. keep hatching those hatcheries land of the "Kings".gee DFO do hatcheries really work YOU BET[:p]

Definently wasn't hacking the winter fishey, just wondering if Nov, Dec was like that for most. Just saying the fall fishing right now is pretty hard to beat with size and #'s.

Huh i always found that from the time the coho leave until just before christmas is when i get way better average size fish until march and april.

quote:Originally posted by smiley66

Any reports on the coho front. Went pretty quite wondering if it is winding down.. Going to make an attempt on Monday....

Anyone been out?

Smiley66

Was out wednesday for the low slack off Beecher. Got an 11 lb quickly then nothing for the next couple hours. Was on green Betsy with bright green hootchie at 105' inabout 300' Didn't see or hear of much else going on but I'm sure there are afew still around.
Cheers
Dave

Fished today with my dad from 830a-12p, started in 300ft off the Tin Shack and got into a pretty good flury, only lasted 1/2 an hour and than drove out to 550ft. Trolled down to secretary and weaved around from 300 to 550. Was slow till 11am for us and than banged on them again off Secretary in 350ft bow into the flood, gear smoking. Still got into lots of coho but lost a lot today [:I].Still got 2 wild, 2 hatch; happy and lucky. Quite a few shaker springs out there to, be gentle. On Fri 80-120ft was good for us; today for us 81-94ft was best.Good weather, water and the boats were sooo spread out[8D]
Rockfish that was me infront of you on the way out of S/Shores today. I'll say hi next time. Thanks in advance for all the reports because you are out there almost more than the other guy that owned that boat,lol. Saw where you started, reports?
006-3.jpg

006-2.jpg

Yea we were out there Lunna. I think I have talked to your dad once or twice while weighing fish at the Marina, I assume he is the guy holding the nice Coho. Lots of them still around but could not find any of the big ones. Kept 3 the partner wanted in the 10-12 lb range. Where you saw us start we picked up the 17.5 lb Coho on Oct 3rd in about 400 feet of water. Got some nice pictures I should figure out how to get off my cell camera. Seem to be biting on anything, herring, anchovy, green and white spoons and white or glow hootchies. The anchovy and green and white glow spoons have been the most consistent for us, that and getting down deep when the current is running strong (15lb ball). Have not been out since, and staying warm and dry today but perhaps tomorrow or Monday depending on the wind predictions. Still looking for one of those rare ones in the lower 20’s we don’t have to release.

Was out today off the sooke bluffs and managed 4 winter springs and 2 coho between 6-10 pounds. Lots of other bites that didn't stick.

Some good action to be had for sure. Seems to be pockets of fish around from in tight to out in the deep. Did some work on the boat today and saw some nice chubby fish at the tables, including a few good feeders. They could be awesome through the winter. Out in the am for a stab at the Coho.

www.tailspincharters.com

Finally made it back from disneyland with the kids! Hope i didn't miss it all! Give me a yell on 6 in the am Justin if you get a chance... i'll decide if i wanna head east instead of west... :D

Hit 19 fish today, kept 5 coho up to 12 1/2 pounds and 2 feeders up to 8 pounds. Lots of long line releases today, lost more early then hung on to more later on. Right off the harbour mouth from 450 to 525 feet of water

We were not in the same league as “Profisher” but went out yesterday and had some small success which we thought was OK for beginners. Tried out deep with everybody else first but could not get anything except one small feeder of about 5lbs and one smaller one which we let go. Picked up and ran back much closer to shore in 250-300 feet of water and managed an 11lb feeder and two coho of 8 and 13lb in the space of 90 minutes. Had several lost and missed bites too. Big fish seemed to be very deep – 200 feet on downrigger so with 10lb ball and “blowback” probably at least 170 feet actual.

quote:Originally posted by Englishman

We were not in the same league as “Profisher” but went out yesterday and had some small success which we thought was OK for beginners.
Sounds like you had a great day Englishman, good job!!. Don't take anything away from your day, still very enjoyable..right;) don't compare yourself to somebody who has been guiding in Sooke since the 80's and has tons of hrs spent fishing. Not to mention he has all the latest reports and yrs of journal entries as referance. With hrs spent you will be having big fish days in no time[8D]It sucks when fishing turns into a pissing contest...don't fall into it. Good Luck!!

Hoping to get out tomorrow. Good to hear from Chris73 that some of the Coho in the Sooke River are in the 20 to 25lb class. Anyone getting any Chums out front yet?

I know of a few chums caught over the last few days near the bluffs.

There are numerous feeder springs (5-10lb) also out front (400'+) and during yesterday's 6 hour trip my clients landed 8 hatchery springs and two Coho. They also lost 15+- fish. It was none stop action.

The fish were everywhere from 0730 hrs to 1100 then they turned off and only one hit from 1100 to 1300 hrs.

Get out early, troll fast at 100'+

Let's Go Fishing!
Doug
D&D Fishing Charters

Was good got into some coho action out in the 450 to 500 ft mark got 4, biggest was a 12 lber seemed a bit slower today but they sure are nice fish, when a 10 lb coho pops the pin and fights hard exciting times for sure, especially when a guy says" is that a fish" LOL LOL

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back