Sooke Reports - Fall and Winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought that was you that passed me and I wondered if it was you on the forum.
Yeah we few a few of those little guys back as well . I just toss them right into the back of the cooler. Had some tonight I did it crispy skin with a wine and lemon/butter reduction on top my god was it ever good!!!!!

Wolf

commercial crab fisherman,,,put them in there own area

went out to beechy yesterday early in the morning,,went over to put my crab traps down,,and what is the deal with all of the commercial traps out in our sport fihermans grounds,,those assholes are rapeing our waters of all of the crab,,there should be some law about where they and us can crab,,and not the same areas,this guy had traps spread out all over beecher bay,,doesn't leave much for us..anyways went straight down to secretary and caught one 8 lber and one 6 lber in about 3 hours of trolling,,then picked up the lines and went into beecher bay,bedfords,church and trolled the rest of the day till 3pm and nothing,,i heard on the radio out there that someone caught a 14 1/2 lb spring over at whirl bay,,there were about 12 boat over in front of whirl bay,,,sounds like that is the hot spot

Taking a moment out of holiday time to wish all my forum buds up north a merry xmas/happy new year...happy to report that most of the fish viewed have been via snorkel, well except for the ones on my plate!Wolf i think they could use some of your cooking lessons.
Saludos!
sammy

I would like to Wish Everyone a Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year....and hope that you all get a smiley this year !!!!!!!

I helped out at the weigh in station at the Sooke Boxing Day Derby yesterday and most boats in the derby landed fish and the average fish size was around 9lb. Most boats were fishing out front of the harbour with their gear on bottom (120-140'). All the fisherman I talk to had lot of action and on all types of bait.

Slow for us yesterday. Fished out front harbour and trolled down to the trailer park. Only Shakers, nothing with any size worth keepin.

Sooke summer fishing video

Still no Sooke reports from me ... after 2 weeks off, still didn't get the boat in the water! Maybe tomorrow, last day before returning to work.

In the meantime, here's a video I put together of a fun morning fishing in Sooke last summer ... hope you like it.

[re3HQmjey10] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re3HQmjey10

Happy new year, hoping for a fun 2012 fishing season!

Excellent video Sookee! Great especially for guys like me who ain't been on the water for a while.

What make of camera were you using for those shots? Same one for wet & dry? Must have a cool mount set-up for the boat.

Impressive!

Thanks Little Hawk. Fishing shots are a GoPro with a roll bar mount.

Shore shots are a Kodak Play/Sport, mounted on a pole extender. This is a cheap fun camera for fishing, about the size of a cell phone. Only problem is, I think it is designed for snorkelling, so focus is set quite far out to bring the fishies closer ... so if you are filming someone at a normal distance it may actually be zoomed on their nose.

Lessons learned: the gopro footage looks quite far away from stern and especially from other side; need to bring people in closer or find a better mount further back; need to also mix it up with some closeups and different angles

I have been looking at the same camera for next summer. Already have a mini video for hand shots. I'm going to wait for the newest Gopro coming out in Feb as it will have a feature of being able to be turned on and off remotely from a cell phone app.

Not on fire, but great weather! One double header and a feisty 20.2 lb Winter to seal the day. Fished Whirl and Becher.

IMG_20120103_151216.jpg

IMG_20120103_151128.jpg

IMG_20120103_134714.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back