Sooke reports - August 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a couple of socks this am at Otter Pt. Seen lots jumping off the bluffs

We had 3 guys fishing yesterday go 6 nice soxs lost 12! Went straight out fron Sec to the cable, had fun and good size sox! I;m gonna hand out for a couple more day's. It's been windy in the evening. Bubble gum squirts at 22 inches or shorter if the pinks show. That twice the flasher for brainiacs lol Happy hunting.

Got a late start this morning and missed the early bite, but a nice day for weather! Lost one Spring in the high teens and bonked 2 sox for the bbq. Sockeye were chasing bait and jumping all over. I saw a couple of decent Springs come in but spotty in general. Out again tommorow for another go.

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

Can run any size between 00 to 01. run a black if you can. discreate is the secret don't need to bring attention to the back hook.
I mean it, I have read allot of post's hear and see allot of (hit one!! lost one ) post's:(:( you can elliminate allot of those by a stinger.( IT'S AN OLD WALLEYE FISHERMANS TRICK). I chalenge you to try it,, you will not be disapointed.
I've always run tandem trebles. Doesn't matter where I fish. many times the first hook will be in his beak and the second will be wrapped around his nose keeping tension on it. Kind of makes up for barbless. Just watch for that second hook if its dangling while you are netting.
Ward Bond at Island Outfitters showed me the way to tie them years ago.

A bit of a bite for a short period off the trap in Sooke today. We got one at just a hair over 30#. From the West end of the trap to Obrian is were the bite apparantly came on. We hit ours right tight to the trap reef at 49 feet. Good to see some fish moving in:D.

Slow day today. Fished from 0600-1300. 1 Spring on. 1 Sockeye in the boat. Saw 2 springs caught. Talked to a bunch of guys and seemed dead eveywhere.

Heard some radio chatter and it appears the tidelines may have some sockeye.

Debating if I'm heading out tommorrow or not.

TT

Fished this morning for sockeye and managed to get 5 in the boat. We stopped for springs for an hour or 2 and it looked slow so we went back for sockeye. There were HUGE schools of sockeye moving thru JDF in 550ft of water off Secretary...absolutely amazing. We went thru big schools on the sounder in the top 100ft of water but they just wouldn't get on the bite. We caught one or 2 fish every hour. After cleaning them I think I know why they weren't really biting - they were absolutely stuffed with small herring. However, it's good to see so much bait around. Unfortunately the dogfish are around too and we got a few of those on the red gear. MIght try again this weekend - lots of fun fishing sockeye and today was amazing weather for it. [8D]

Sad day for first time out in Sooke this year....beautiful out there, but no salmon to be found....too busy feeding the dogfish...run trap to obrien mostly, finished back to aldridge....
Only heard of 2 salmon in a boat, and a couple small ones back at the dock, and maybe an 18 pounder....seemed pretty dead for the number of boats, and what a waste of waking at 4am!

On the bright side, caught about a 20 pound ling with a tommy cod...biggest I've seen in 10 years. Heck of a fight - runs like a salmon when it wants to. Saw a guy at the dock with a snapper as well - first one of those I've seen caught this far south too.

Anyone out in Sooke today? You've been awfully quiet lately wolf? Springs? Sockeye? Might drag a hook around tomorrow......

We did alright this weekend fishing in the derby. Saturday we had an 8, 10 , 14lbs Spring and 2 Sockey and released/lost a half dozen. Today we had a 13 and a 23lbs Spring and again released lost a half dozen. Dogfish weren't bad for us, 2 yesterday and 4 today.
We fished all day yesterday and till noon today.
Thanks to Codish (Dave Y) for 2 fun days of fishing[8D]

Jason

Thanks Hurston...good to hear there are still a few fish out there. Where were you guys fishing?

quote:Originally posted by yammy5

Thanks Hurston...good to hear there are still a few fish out there. Where were you guys fishing?
Otter and Muir for us. Sheringham produced a bunch of fish on Saturday.
Good luck out there!

Im out tommorow let ya know.

Wolf

Just got off the phone with a buddy who hit three from 19-29 lbs off the trap between 830-1000am this morning! He said there were at least ten boats with fish on at a time for a good hour. Get out there and get em.

Fished the trap from 6:30-10 this morning. Saw maybe 5 fish caught.
Got 1 around 10lb on the way back between Beechy and Aldridge.
Seemed pretty slow.

Tips

Fished trap from 6 to 11 this am. Picked up one spring, lost another. Saw other boats around me catch one about every 1/2 hour. I thought it was pretty slow until I got back to Becher Bay. A couple guys did GREAT by the look of the slabs on the cleaning table.
Same time same place tomorrow.

Had an alright day out with my son today. Fished Otter and Muir from 7:30 till 10 released a small spring and lost 1 around 12lbs right at the boat[xx(].
THen went out into the straits and had a blast catching Sockeye. We kept 3 around 5lbs, released/lost around 15 others. It was great fishing for my son who's 12.
Other than the fog it was great weather on the water.

Till the weekend
Jason

we went out at the same time and got nothing, 550 feet of water just off Beecher bay, out pretty far I guess. 24 inch short leader, red hoochie and green hoochie :(

was pretty choppy out there with ebb tide.

what did u use?

quote:Originally posted by Hurston

Had an alright day out with my son today. Fished Otter and Muir from 7:30 till 10 released a small spring and lost 1 around 12lbs right at the boat[xx(].
THen went out into the straits and had a blast catching Sockeye. We kept 3 around 5lbs, released/lost around 15 others. It was great fishing for my son who's 12.
Other than the fog it was great weather on the water.

Till the weekend
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back