Sooke reports - August 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had three on this am, one at Otter and two at Muir but only one stayed pegged - 25ish. Nevertheless pretty good action. Most boats(including the guides) were working this area compared to others so sounds like a good bet for the next while if your willing to make the run.

Saw a nice fish at the tables from the Trap reef but IMO, this area has been VERY hit and miss lately.

Had a great morning yesterday at Secretary! Landed a 25 and 29 in 3 hours at 45ft and 67ft. I've found that secretary and the shack have been steady producers on the tide change and early mornings. I hate spending money on gas travelling any further west and it looks like we don't have to![8D]

Popped a few more springs in the boat today and found a hatchery coho. Tough morning though....lost 3 springs (one at the net and 2 after the first run). I don't think I've ever lost so many 'hooked' fish in such a short period of time! The rest of the day was a scratch, while battling wind but a least we managed to pull a few in the net after almost 10hr (all mid twenties). My advice to myself.."buy some new hooks!" [:p]

As the previous poster , went exploring up to the Point no Point and thence back down to Otter Point and back up again , 3 in the boat biggest 24 down to 19 all on the inside line relative to the shoreline my partner lost 4 bites in a row at 45 ft , lost 2 to seals west of Shearingham about 3/4 mile , all on anchovie and trolling from 30 ft to 55 ft.

AL

Didn't get out til 11 am today. Tried the shack but it looked really quiet. There was fish there earlier, apparently. About 1pm I swung out into 400 ft of water off of the trap where there were some good markings but we immediately began to catch a steady stream of doggies. I switched to hardware and got 1 spring on a mint tulip.
T2

Yesterday was good up at otter today I saw maybe 5 fish caught me being one of them very slow day today off to knight tommorow and to some real fishing have to work too hard for fish down here LOL LOL
Aug is just around the corner yeah.

Good luck Wolf

Fished the head, 6:00am to 10:30 for 1 22lber. 45 ft, anchovie in 250 feet of water. Fairly slow, odd boat with 2, most had 1 or none.
T2

A day to remember indeed. Four slabs in the box today (all in the 20's) and three more on-off...haven't had a morn like that in a long time. Of course out again manana while the gettin' is good.

Yes it continues to be great fishing in Sooke. We limited with 4 springs today 4 fish on, 4 fish in the boat. 16 lbs. to 22 lbs. In the last three fishing trips (this last week) we hooked 14 springs of wich 11 we got in the boat, biggest 33lbs. most in the mid to high 20's and today our first three springs under 20 lbs.

Skunked again tonight-Secretary, tide lines,no coho,no sockeye. Twice this week the evening has done nothing for me. Killers swam through towards the Trap.

Yup. I'd say it's game on!

Yesterday was good. Put 2 in the boat and saw many caught.
Last Sat 2 in the boat and 4 lost. Thursday night 1 in the boat and 1 to a seal. This week has been good.

Tips

We fished Otter tonite from 4pm till 7 and saw prolly 10 fish landed but I didnt even have a sniff. I tried several different combo's and debths but zilch to show for it. Atleast it was 1 of the nicest nights I've ever been out on the water.Hopefully I'll have better luck next weekend in the AM

Jason

Same spot, same place, same everything as yesterday and nada. Slow today, more socks then springs on the chovie...ouch!!

Anyone getting any sox off sooke? I am booked for the 10 aug till the end of the month down there. Couldn't make it to Alberni this year, so want to slay a few sox down that way. Last year we did really well out in the middle.

Poacher--We're getting the odd one on spring gear. I might target them in the next few days and I'll let you know.
T2

On saturday, after our limit on springs, we dragged the red gear in 500ft of water for a couple hours and only caught 1 sockeye. A buddy released 2 big sockeye in the morning before he knew they were open. [:0]

Back home for a few days , fished Otter Point and environs on the 22nd and 23rd ,not mentioning exact locations due to pressure from others on this site to keep the hot spots guarded.
Took 3 from 28 lbs to 34 lbs on the 22nd and took one 30 and one 20 lb on the 23rd , 4 immature coho (1 hatchery) accidentally caught and released , all on the way up when checking bait and flasher conditions.

Fishing crushed ice white glow flasher and army truck glow krippled anchovy heads, used the larger anchovies versus the smaller ones ; tied to 82 inch leaders, pinned the flasher 16 pulls from the cannonball , depth all hits on were from 58 to 70 ft, speed over water with the tide 2.9 ft , against the tide 2.3 to 2.4 fpm.

Fished the late rising tides and ignored the morning bite.

Lost two to seals on the first day and lost another two to ?????? on the second day , also in taking the inside turn relative to the land were always hitting dogfish on the slack pole(naturally!).

Back down there again on the the 27th, then on to the Renfrew area as the springs should react like last year and move in to Bonilla/ Logan late and in the 120 ft depth as opposed to the beach line fishing as experienced in the past.
East Point at Renfrew should be heating up from the 12th of August on.

Luck to you all

AL

Tsquared

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poacher--We're getting the odd one on spring gear. I might target them in the next few days and I'll let you know.
T2

Thanks for the heads up. Last year I was getting spring on the sox gear :DLOL Fish out around the 3rd line. Gonna try to get out sunday. will stay a couple days and give it a wurl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back