Sooke reports - August 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Marula...we were targetting sox in 500ft of water between Otter and Secretary. We may have been a bit deep as they often migrate along the 50 fathom edge. I was going to try this aftenoon but the wind is howling.:(

Any one been out this week? I guess these strong Westerlies this week kept alot of boats off the water...

Ill be out tommorow let you all know .

Wolf

Been to Renfrew chatting with old chums up there and gleaning some info , very slow at this time, you want springs go to Swiftsure and further West, will be back to Otter Point tomorrow and weather and winds permitting will be our there , have been fairly successful in that area , but working hard for the strikes and fish in the boat.

Luck to all

AL

Scraped up a a pair of 21's this am, Sooke-West. Fairly slow considering the lack of action witnessed from other boats but if you're dialed in and work hard there are some to be had.

Were you out early early Juan? My fishing partners today were not early risers so we didn't get fishing until 9:15. Had one on at Secretary on the low slack but did a long distance release. Heading back to Cheanuh at about noon, I saw a guy net a beauty right on the corner--had to be 30 plus. Might go out early tomorrow.
T2

T2 - Lines down at first light but hit one fish at 730 and the other at 930. Different depths and different locations...I think we had some luck on our side today.

Is it getting to be Fogust there or is it remaining clear in the am?

Fished 5:30 am to 9:30 at the Trap and then the head. shaker springs and 1 doggie is all. No fog, bit of wind.
T2

Another fellow forum guy and myself went out and we got 2 springs lots of doggies up top dint see alot of action but we managed to scrape up them lots of bait anyways out again tommorow.

Good luck Wolf

I picked up an 18, and lost a fish 1st thing Saturday (july29th) morning at Otter.
I saw prolly 8 other fish landed by the time I pulled up at noon.
It still seems awfully slow for this time of year.

Jason

I was out Friday am, got nothing, saw two fish caught (in between beechy head and trap shack,closer to beechy head actually)

saw nothing caught until around 11:30 and it seemed to be less current. Makes sense I guess.

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/rac/2006-07-28

anyone use this current site? it seems to be fairly close sometimes for current around beechy head.

anyone use tandem hook setups? I got those rhys davis ones with the red line to tie them together, but usually just use one hook, like in the package.

We usually run a small treble hook for a stinger. don't hook it up to bait just let it ride back beside bait porobly 1" above tail. have pulled in allot of fish just hanging on stinger. did a test last summer out in sooke and it cosistintly out landed more fish than without a stinger. would'nt think of running a bait holder without one.

hey, any sockeyes been showing up??? or are they a couple of weeks away?

Main season socks usually start rolling after the first week of August but that varies from year to year.
T2

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

We usually run a small treble hook for a stinger. don't hook it up to bait just let it ride back beside bait porobly 1" above tail. have pulled in allot of fish just hanging on stinger. did a test last summer out in sooke and it cosistintly out landed more fish than without a stinger. would'nt think of running a bait holder without one.

What size treble were you using for your trailing hook?

Can run any size between 00 to 01. run a black if you can. discreate is the secret don't need to bring attention to the back hook.
I mean it, I have read allot of post's hear and see allot of (hit one!! lost one ) post's:(:( you can elliminate allot of those by a stinger.( IT'S AN OLD WALLEYE FISHERMANS TRICK). I chalenge you to try it,, you will not be disapointed.

Wonderful little bite at the Trap early this morning, double header but landed only one, 24.11 on the scale. Boats were pulling fish consistantly till about 930 but could't entice another bite myself.

This ones already brining for a smoke tomorrow. All in all, a great morning.

Hope others here have been getting tight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back