Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Went out yesterday and the day before. It's still summer out there in terms of weather, and the fishing is as good as it gets. Kept 5 between a buddy and I thursday, and 4 yesterday. Biggest one was a 14 buck Thursday afternoon/evening.
4d0da270ca7138a2aa703e6e29360955.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the wife and daughters out this morning and Mom won the mini derby with this beauty. Lots of fun, lots of fish.
vy3yzu6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...managed to put the yak on top of some coho today too! Out at 3 pm for a couple of hours at Otter...only one other boat out (plus one anchored up closer to shore...for halibut? or?).

Added a second line trailing a buzz bomb on my light spin rod just for grins today....about 20 ft back and maybe 5 down.

Had a double header within 10 minutes...a little more complicated that it might sound solo on a kayak. Left the rigger rod bobbing away and got the spin gear reeled in, fish netted and bonked and left the net with fish laying across my lap while I dealt with the rigger rod. Of course, by the time I got DR ball and 2nd fish both to surface I had forgotten the net was occupied, so fish #2 just had to join it's buddy in a double net job.

I must have also at some point bumped the bail on the spin rod while bringing in the second fish...and believe it or not a third fish had hooked up on the buzz bomb when I got #2 dispatched...as close to a triple header as I'll manage with 2 rods!

Managed to bring another 6 fish to the boat, and 2 others that didn't stick...all while looking for the elusive 3rd hatchery. Lots of athletic runs, jumps and spins and a couple of facewashes...tons of fun!

In the battle of surface trailing buzz bomb vs. white hoochie at 40ft the hoochie won 5-4._DSF9728.jpg

Sounds like an awesome day for you. Especially considering that you are fishing from a kayak. Well done. We went to sand heads today. Wish we had gone to sooke.

Well...managed to put the yak on top of some coho today too! Out at 3 pm for a couple of hours at Otter...only one other boat out (plus one anchored up closer to shore...for halibut? or?).

Added a second line trailing a buzz bomb on my light spin rod just for grins today....about 20 ft back and maybe 5 down.

Had a double header within 10 minutes...a little more complicated that it might sound solo on a kayak. Left the rigger rod bobbing away and got the spin gear reeled in, fish netted and bonked and left the net with fish laying across my lap while I dealt with the rigger rod. Of course, by the time I got DR ball and 2nd fish both to surface I had forgotten the net was occupied, so fish #2 just had to join it's buddy in a double net job.

I must have also at some point bumped the bail on the spin rod while bringing in the second fish...and believe it or not a third fish had hooked up on the buzz bomb when I got #2 dispatched...as close to a triple header as I'll manage with 2 rods!

Managed to bring another 6 fish to the boat, and 2 others that didn't stick...all while looking for the elusive 3rd hatchery. Lots of athletic runs, jumps and spins and a couple of facewashes...tons of fun!

In the battle of surface trailing buzz bomb vs. white hoochie at 40ft the hoochie won 5-4.View attachment 14418

Nice work.. THat is a stellar day in a Kayak! We were out about 12 to 3:30.... ran bait on one side... until we ran out, and spoon on the other, over dummy flashers. I had a flyrod out the back with an intruder pattern on it and hit three, landed one, towards the end I put a 502 tomic out 30 feet behind the boat and 2 feet down... it would draw the fish in and then they would come up and slash at the fly immediately above... what a cool fishery.

After putting two wilds in the boat I scaled all my gear, including spoons, down to a 2/0 octopus. We definitely lost more fish, but with the narrow shank point gap there is almost no chance of eye hooking a fish.

Glad to see all are having a great time out there... There was a super keen young angler at the launch who engaged my wife in a very detailed conversation regarding our catch, gear, technique etc..... great to see.

In the battle of surface trailing buzz bomb vs. white hoochie at 40ft the hoochie won 5-4.

Amazing report C-J and very amusing. Loved the description of the "triple". Must have kept you VERY busy!

Good job you did not get your third hatch or there would have been no room left in the yak for you.

[SJ5ePxOUXV4]

Took a novice out friday,he became a pro with the gear/playing fish/netting in about half an hour lol

Spoons and rubber,no flashers needed!
Found our clipped at 100' and deeper,biggest was a 16#hatch.fly in the prop wash was a blast!

Last edited by a moderator:
Out yesterday At 2 30 for 3 hours. Into about 15 fish landed 9. Couldnt find any hatch though. depths from 48-121 all on plastic and spoons. 5-600 ft of water.
What a blast and the water was unreal as well.

That is so cool. Wow the water is clear right now! How deep was that?

[SJ5ePxOUXV4] http://youtu.be/SJ5ePxOUXV4

Took a novice out friday,he became a pro with the gear/playing fish/netting in about half an hour lol

Spoons and rubber,no flashers needed!
Found our clipped at 100' and deeper,biggest was a 16#hatch.fly in the prop wash was a blast!

Awesome day on the water today with a couple of buddies. 3 hours of fishing away from the throng of boats. 3 hatch and 3 wild. 14,12,8,6,5,5. Lost too may to count. Most were caught on bait down at 80ft on the riggers. The coho killer caught 2.

Good day today for me and the little guy. No bait as usual and all on hardware..

20 to boat lost another 8 or so... Kept 3... Same depth 80-100 feet... Mostly all of them were wild from 10-8lbs... We released tons. Most action was not way out where we were in morning way out (500-620feet) In morning it was really spotty. Found the fish way closer in mid afternoon out east in the bay (350- 400 feet)... Well away from everyone else as everyone was still way out... Found it slower than few days ago but still lots out there. Then the orcas came by and we packed it in...

Sorry there was one member on here at cleaning table from Nanaimo that was at SFBC derby with my son sorry we didn't get your name... that was me BTW..

Fantastic to see that many boats out it was like summer....Great day and orcas passing by my son had a riot...

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to KK,camera was at 55' on the rigger(plenty of light down to 150').zoomed in a little,and slowed down a bit..water is very clear out in 600'
lots of jellys cruising by.

That is so cool. Wow the water is clear right now! How deep was that?
That's cool. I often wonder if Charlie White was still alive what he would think of the footage you can get nowadays.... Its kind of cool you can totally see the predatory coho roll when they strike. Thanks for video that is very clear...

out from Sooke harbour today 8-2, kept 2 wild and 5 hatch. The biggest was a 9 lb wild that someone must have released and was flopping around on the surface all gibbled up, so we circled back and scooped him up in the net. Easiest catch of the day. White hootchy at 80-100' seemed best lure of the day, but the bites were spotty.

I can remember in the 80's helping pops lug his camera equpiment (he did a few fishing movies)
I kinda feel guilty dropping a semi-disposable camera down and showing him the edited footage within hours..hopefully i dont end up with live display on the dash someday :)
One massive tip it has shown me is to TROLL FAST! Get that gear going when moving with a following sea.plus there are a few hits i miss with the downriggers(man i miss motor mooching)
Thanks for the kind words,i like the shots of the fish who get away.

Back