Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Beautiful, flat, shirt off, hot, midsummer like Oct. Sunday, and lots of boats and whales. The Coho fishing was very good but a little slower than Friday with the bite coming on and off rather than being constant. Off the Harbour, 500 to 570 WC starting at 10.00 am and from 25 to 133 feet down. White glow plastic on riggers and green and yellowish Apex out back on a trip planner. 5 hatch (average size is up) and three wild to 11lbs. Good to hear that some got some larger Ho’s in the teens. There is an amazing amount of Coho in JDF right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out solo yesterday. Ended up towards tin shed in 250 - 500 ft. Started at 3:30, released first wild at 3:40 caught on MP15 at 70 ft. Only a couple of bites and n fish for the next hour and a half. The last hour and a bit was busy again. MP15 and bubble gum squirt at 90 and 125 ft. Ended up with 2 smallish hatchery and good sized wild. Beautiful out there and most of the boats were gone when I went out.

Beauty day out there yesterday.
Calm waters, clear skies, good fishing and whales in the background.

Found fish at 80-90ft in 400-450 ft of water out from the bluffs.
Anything with a hook seemed to produce.
Mostly wild fish. Kept 2 wild and 2 hatch.
Had around 30 fish on.

Tips

Thank you Deewar25. That's exactly what I thought. However I was told today that it was 2 W/2 H. I did some searching and there is a tiny area near Renfrew that is actually 2/2.

Stosh

Can you point me to that notice? Have searched and can only find 2 plus 2 (possession)

Sent from my iPhone

Theb55

Go to B.C. tidal waters regs - FN0549 - read very carefully and you will see the small area near Owen Point that allows 2W/2H.

Stosh

Can you point me to that notice? Have searched and can only find 2 plus 2 (possession)

Sent from my iPhone
assume you are actually referring to Sooke and not Renfrew b55....as per

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s20-eng.html

scroll below the chart to get
Portion of Subarea 20-1 (Port San Juan Light), Subareas 20-3 to 20-7: in that portion of Subarea 20-1 (seaward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, and San Juan Point) and Subareas 20-3 to 20-7: Oct. 1 - Dec. 31, 2014: 4 coho per day, 1 may be wild (unmarked).

also clear on page 3 of the following: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/maps-cartes/notice-avis/18-19-20-29-co-ch-eng.pdf

Keep in mind of course this is only sooke - Victoria is still 1 & 1

Well as you all know had my buddy from Calgary come back out again to experience the fine fishing thats to be had for our Coho, he wasn't disappointed at all.
2 days of STELLAR fishing and weather limit of coho again on sunday and many lost and released this time he brought one of his good workers as a bonus. he loved it and seeing a humpback close and personal was the topper to an already great 2 days.
Saturday night I cooked them up a nice Venison Roast and Yorkies...here are a few of the pics of a great weekend ...

Attachments

• 20141004_175206.jpg
    20141004_175206.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 880
  • 20141004_175228.jpg
    20141004_175228.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 873
  • 20141005_072658.jpg
    20141005_072658.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 876
  • 20141005_073256.jpg
    20141005_073256.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 877
  • 20141005_073554.jpg
    20141005_073554.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 879
  • 20141005_101213.jpg
    20141005_101213.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 878
  • 20141005_120048.jpg
    20141005_120048.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 878
Out today in the tinny from 9:30-12:30 with a buddy. Managed our two wild cohos, 5# each, and lost 4. Minus the heavy fog it was a great day. Beechy Head and out...50 on the rigger was the ticket for all in 300-500 ft. Green hootchie and flasher.

Damn I'm about to have perogees and instant noodles for dinner. Just got a little hungrier after seeing wolfs meal.

Four Coho at Renfrew. Agreed. But I have seen a number of boats coming into Sooke, having fished out front with 8 coho. 4 wild, 4 hatch between 2 fishermen.

Sent from my iPhone

I almost want to crawl into that picture and butter me one of those buns and eat it nice and hot...........droooool :p

Very interesting. Perhaps they are running all the way to Renfrew. Makes no sense for one wild fish!
Stosh

No. Say the are fishing out front (of harbour)

Sent from my iPhone

Went out yesterday for coho with my wife and daughter. Was a beauty day on the water. Glassy, sunny, warm, and hot action. We got lucky and found a bunch of hatchery right away, and within 2 hours of dropping lines, we had 8 in the box. We had 3 doubles and the last double was 2 beauty wilds. Biggest fish was a 10.5 lb male. We were straight out from sooke harbor in 500-550' of water, down 77-90 on the riggers. Break away flashers and uv hootchies were working for us. That's all we put down though, so can't say it's the hot lure. Stopped at the spit on the way back since the kidlet wanted to play on the beach. Love my trips to sooke!!!

rF8xglgGkbyu8rxqqr0Ie7ReFiKv3wt4YXwjtlW7LSM=w793-h595-no

IMG_2670.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

No. Say the are fishing out front (of harbour)

Sent from my iPhone

I'd write it off to ignorance...always some clueless out there...and a few that are just rule breakers. I know DFO has been around a little more this year, but I'd like to see more of them during coho season as thats when the worse offenders often seem to come out of the woodwork.

Fished from 8:00am until 2:00pm today. Beautiful flat calm morning and stayed that way all day, although fog did move in around lunchtime. Humpback appeared at 8:30am but did not see him again. Anyway, other than a slack period around the tide change at noon, pretty amazing fast and furious action again today. Had one double header and a triple header when we put on old mooching rod out the back with a a banana weight. Despite trolling at 3.5K with the tide and 1.5K against the 2 knot tide we also got a lot a of hits when raising or lowering the lures. Sometime just raising the d/rigger 15 feet and then dropping it back would trigger hits. Seemed to be at many depths from 50-100' feet but eventually settled on 77' for the last half of the session. A plain white glow hootchie was far and away the best lure today and out fished the other lures we tried by at least a 4 to 1 ratio. We ended with our two wilds, and four hatchery fish. Nothing big. About 8lbs max. but late in the day we did release a big hooked nose male of about 12lbs that was in full spawning colours. Fun time getting back in through the fog. Where would I be without GPS!!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Englishman I agree with you on the fog - thank goodness for Larry.
\
Tried something a little different today for a while. Mooched anchovies. I have a stainless steel needle from a party boat captain in San Francisco. Thread the line through the anchovie and then bury the circle hook. Supposed to have rubber bands for the gills but I used a half-hitch. Sent a couple of them down 60 ft with 2 oz banana weight. While sending the second one down I took my eye off the first one then saw a fish jumping around the boat - wow. Took a second to see that it was on my first chovie. What a blast with no flasher and only the light banana weight. Only caught a couple but it was fun. Both wild so let them go.

After reading Englishman's post I found something totally different - my glow white hootchie at my favoured 77 ft did not get touched. MP15 at 110 ft was the ticket for me. Got a couple on the bubblegum squirt at 110 ft but the fish convinced me to switch to MP15 on both rods. Lots of coho still out there but I had trouble finding hatchery. One little hatchery and 20+ wild released. Kept one wild of about 10 lbs. Good day on the water despite the fog.

Back