Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Interesting evening fishing till past sunset at Otter. It was a beautiful flat calm night compared to all that daytime south east wind rip slop everyone is sick of pounding. So to start with we get the gear down off Otter including my best MR3 (the one that never creeps even at light drag and down deep) on a Loomis Rod, when bang the Scotty Rod Holder breaks and sends it all to the bottom. What the hell, its been that kind of year and its only money right. One last chance, so we haul up the rigger from 108 feet and the line is still attached to the release clip and we are able to hand line everything back in. I guess that is a good reason for always putting the release clip in the hard position and burying the line to the back of yellow. Close call and one has to wonder why the most recent Scotty rod holder I bought (the long stainless tube type was the one to break right through the center of the ratchet base instead of the older type some of which are decades old. They do fit the short handle Loomis well though. Did manage a nice mid teen red Chinook with a touch of gold a ways off 2nd Rock on Chovie, down 62 feet. Then almost hit a deer on the way back to town – just one of those nights.

As Rockfish said, a very interesting day on the water. I was so glad that he got his Loomis Rod and Islander Reel back after we thought that we lost it when the Scotty mount broke. Thank goodness that it still was attached to the downrigger clip. A beautiful night on the water after the afternoon chop.
20140906_174319.jpg20140906_180746.jpg20140906_192153.jpg20140906_194346.jpg

Interesting evening fishing till past sunset at Otter. It was a beautiful flat calm night compared to all that daytime south east wind rip slop everyone is sick of pounding. So to start with we get the gear down off Otter including my best MR3 (the one that never creeps even at light drag and down deep) on a Loomis Rod, when bang the Scotty Rod Holder breaks and sends it all to the bottom. What the hell, its been that kind of year and its only money right. One last chance, so we haul up the rigger from 108 feet and the line is still attached to the release clip and we are able to hand line everything back in. I guess that is a good reason for always putting the release clip in the hard position and burying the line to the back of yellow. Close call and one has to wonder why the most recent Scotty rod holder I bought (the long stainless tube type was the one to break right through the center of the ratchet base instead of the older type some of which are decades old. They do fit the short handle Loomis well though. Did manage a nice mid teen red Chinook with a touch of gold a ways off 2nd Rock on Chovie, down 62 feet. Then almost hit a deer on the way back to town – just one of those nights.

Rick your safer with the old holders that are all plastic. That design is terrible and by making the holder rigid they have but way too much torsion in the base. I said that as soon as I saw them... Good thing you got it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to watch out when the is lots of weeds and big tides..
3 friends and I had 4 crab traps. we got 3 crab traps back. two traps had couples of crabs. one trap had no crab It must be stolen.

The three traps are belongs to them not me :( . Mine is a brand new trap,a new rope has 100 feet, a new soctty crab bait ( plastic orange) , a new crab bait ( mesh) and a New buoy ( red and white) .I wrote my last name is Watts and phone number 250 686 3994 on it. My trap was new and my first time ever to use it. now its gone :(

We dumped the 4 traps between 40 '- 50 ' . We knew that the tide went high to 7 feet.

Today in the morning I went to Sooke basin. I knew the tide is low . I hoped I should find my trap and I looked for my trap in everywhere for two hours and I had no luck.

I looked for the red and white buoy. the weed cover the buoy, I removed the weed and I checked in everywhere. Those are not mine.

I went to crab shack. He is my good friend, he said that " lost mine traps couple weeks ago, lot of thieves".

Out to Otter from 2:30-5. Had the place to myself...is the season over?

No fish, but a nice roller coaster ride.

Great day out on the water today. Fished otter from 7-11. Picked this beauty up with my father-in-law pictured here. By the 3rd rock using the old Apexes.photo (12).jpgphoto (13).jpg

Fished hard yesterday at Otter and Muir, only had coho and small chinook under 10lbs to show for it. Had a screamer that may have been a seal... Also lost a kitetail flasher and spoon, not sure how, mighta gotten spooled by a coho and then it wrapped around someone's downrigger (best plausible explanation I could come up with). Long story.

Went out today to hali fish through the flood but the current was stronger than I expected so I picked up early and played with the gopro. Managed to catch a glimpse of a coho hitting my 5'' cop car spoon but it didn't hook up. The footage is terrible, modifications are required to eliminate sway of the camera. But at least I learned that my gear doesn't behave nearly as perfectly as I imagined it does.

3 springs yesterday and 3 more today along with some Coho and a sockeye both days. Absolute washing machine water yesterday and a crap ride home against the SE. Beauty morning today and the usual easy to deal with stiff SW this afternoon. Largest spring on the weekend 24 pounds at Otter on the last pass. Also saw a younger Sea Otter this morning off French Beach drifting on his back in the hard flood. That is the 3rd one I have seen over the years in Sooke. Maybe they are starting to expand their territory into southern waters once again.

Fished all day Saturday at the Head and Trap. Lost one at 1 pm off Bedfords on the troll back home. What a terrible year. I've fished Sooke for 40 years. I've never seen it so bad. Lots of people are posting they're catching fish. Personally, its the worst year I have ever seen. Pretty disappointing as far as i'm concerned.

Fished all day Saturday at the Head and Trap. Lost one at 1 pm off Bedfords on the troll back home. What a terrible year. I've fished Sooke for 40 years. I've never seen it so bad. Lots of people are posting they're catching fish. Personally, its the worst year I have ever seen. Pretty disappointing as far as i'm concerned.

Don't feel bad Pescador it's the same kind of year fishing off Victoria, (although some may disagree)
A pretty big let down after all the hype about a huge Chinook run this year.

Saturday - Fished Muir 630 to 11. Got 2 springs 25 and a 9 lost a couple too. We saw a bunch caught that morning as well. Went out to 400-500 feet picked up 3 coho and a 20lb spring. Got the 20lb on coho gear when we slowed it down to reel in the coho that was already on. A nice bonus!

Sunday - Went back to muir first thing and didn't get a sniff and only saw 1 caught. Went out at 10 for coho and picked up 4 and a bunch of hits in a couple hours.

All the fish both days were 80 to 130

Nice to know.. I think this time fishing is getting better.

I haven't catch big spring this year.. I hope I will get one soon.

Thanks for update report!

Don't feel bad Pescador it's the same kind of year fishing off Victoria, (although some may disagree)
A pretty big let down after all the hype about a huge Chinook run this year.

Many will argue but no offense it was one of slowest on sooke/renfrew as far as beach fishing... So I agree my logbook dating back 15 years doesn't lie in this area. The troubling thing though is sizes were down.. When they came in waves I didn't see many 30 and 40 like I expected too.. Seems like those were far between. Even renfrew there smaller.

That is not to say there no fish just not as many. You have to watch on here there's been some posts of reports I question sometimes...

A little late report. Went out Sunday, and Monday morning. Sunday had a nice one around 20 at the trap in the fog next to the boat. Friend who was out with me had never been out before, after three net attempts it went under the boat and line snapped. Was pretty disappointed as I didn't get out much in august and haven't had a fish like that since july, but what do you do. Had two more hits, that didn't stick. Monday had one hit and that was it. This is the first year that I have had a boat in Sooke, and have nothing to compare the fishing to. But I have fished Sooke in others boats, in previous years, and had much more action. I hope this isn't a trend that is going to continue. If hatcheries aren't that good for wild fish, and DFO is doing more good to fish farmers than wild salmon populations. What are our options as anglers to help wild fish thrive in our areas? Stream enhancement? Volunteering at hatcheries? Donating more to organizations that seem to be doing something, such as PSF? If like to hear some thoughts.
Thanks,
Boogieman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFI-BC, BCWF and PSF are all good organizations to support. PSF does a lot of habitat restoration/stream enhancement type work. There is also local hatcheries like Jack Brooks and Charters Creek in Sooke that always need volunteers.

Also check out South Vancouver Island Anlgers Coalition (SVIAC). It is a recently formed group with the primary purpose to lobby for the rec fishers on South Vancouver Island (where we face more reg's and restrictions then just about anywhere on the whole coast).

They also want to work on the Sooke River to increase the run of fish to help feed resident orcas and provide more fish for the environment and for fishers.

SVIAC has 400+ members and with more members their ability to lobby the various levels of govt increases. SVIAC plans to send a delegation to Ottawa before the next fed election to raise issues that impact our fisheries.

Take out a annual membership and the members discount program with local businesses will let you pay back the $40 annual fee in short notice.

You can check them out at http://anglerscoalition.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back