Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

As for radar High five it doesnt help you see logs much sorry to say just got to go slow and eyes open....

wolf
...and bigger boats hardly hit logs :D

Went out from 5:00 to 9:30 possession to secretary, released one just over the size limit brought another 14 lber in. Lots of coho(all wild for us) and a few small pinks outside of secretary. All on bait 60 feet down. RCMP were out checking everyone for safety equipment. Good to see but bad luck for those that had to bring up their gear when the bite was on.

Boo they make you pull your gear? Inspect me all ya want but don't interupt my fishing! (Besides inspecting hooks quickly if they want.)

Red Hot had an awesome day at the Head today. Unbelievable fishing! Too bad I didn't have my boys out. Springs were biting early morning. Landed a 16-17 lbs clipped spring and lost another one about the same size beside the boat. Had to crank him in quickly as a sea lion had a keen look at it... the hook pulled out just as I tried to pull him over the net. Oh well. A couple coho and a sockeye early on as well. All on bait. After 8:00 AM the cohos turned it on and I quickly ran out of bait. Switched to gear and played with the cohos - what a blast! Last year there was a debate about the coho not fighting well. I can tell you they were feisty today. A few times I thought I had something larger on but it again turned out to be a coho on steroids. Tough to find a clipped one today. Eventually found two but I honestly cannot count how many wilds I let go. It was non-stop, as fast as you could throw the gear at them. Mostly shallow ~ 40'. Saw a few pinks at the cleaning table. Apparently there was a good size pink school hanging around Church Rock today. Not where I was though.

Karma, if you get one from me it has a 12 year life and is rechargeable...many of the smaller store ones are not rechargeable and only a 6 year life.

We went out front around 9:00 am and fished to noon. Hit a good Chin at around 9:30 down 60 using hootchies and was saying to my fishing buddy that I thought we were going to have to flip it loose because it looked a little too big. My buddy really wanted to measure it so I hauled it into my new knotless net and turns out it just managed to slip in under the slot limit. I hate those close decisions.

Then it was wall to wall Coho and constant action even though we were trying to avoid them and stay under them for Chinook.. Lost count including several double headers. Kept 3 of the bigger clipped ones. Never used a net on the Coho. Just inspected them beside the boat and lifted in the larger clipped ones with no problems because we were using big single hooks on swivels. Really good holding with the big singles and got almost all of them up to the boat.

What was interesting is that several of them, both clipped and unclipped were missing a fair number of scales and appeared to have crossed lines of missing scales which looked like they had escaped a large commercial net. Made us wonder if these Coho made it through some commercial fishery off the coast before they ended up in JDF.

The guy I was fishing with today is famous for bringing great food. Things like fresh Cherries, cooked crab and fresh pastries etc. Today we also had cut up barbecued duck and with all these Coho hitting we got duck grease on everything; reels, line, flashers, hootchies, despite the quick wipe on the pants every time a rod went off. Perhaps the new secret weapon for Coho is MSG and duck grease, but probably not and now have some gear cleaning to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the Coho jumping around had me thinking that it would liven up a hali trip to bring along a few casting setups to cast to them while you wait on the anchor!!!

Out todaynwith my buddie from 0530-12, released countless amounts of coho, kept 4 and managed a mid teens chinook, beautty day out there, lots of fun, at one point had a tripple header, and those little cohos were hitting hard today, fished from otter to sheringham, hit the nookie at muir.

Well what a Coho day.Out on the Lucky Guy for its first salmon trip after doing a bunch of work on the boat. We started of the bluffs and limited out on hatchery coho with in a hour. Could not find a spring today and we used 30 pieces of bait on coho. it's great to see the westerly winds to clean up the weeds.
I will try again in my boat tomorrow.

Out 5 -12 mostly around Otter. No springs but ran into that huge school of coho later in the morning. Lots of fun but we could only find one hatchery fish. 50-60 feet.

Fished otter to muir between 6-11:00 this morning foggy for awhile until about 9:30. Lots of action today landed a 15lb wild chin just under the mark around 7:30am. Missed 3 good hits on springs hook not set. Managed 2 hatchery coho and released a few undersized. Best action was bait today!! Spring was on bait 80ft down.

What an awesome day yesterday. We started the day with a couple of little Hali. Then got into the salmon. We ended up bringing home 1 Spring, 3 hatch Coho, and 2 Pinks. We hardly got a chance to eat we were so busy. Threw back about 6 wild Coho. Everything ws caught at around 70 ft on spoons, chovy and squirts. The bite ended for us around 11:00 am. Planning on heading out again on Monday.

image.jpg

that's a good day Poet! I made the trip out to Otter from my usual stomping grounds in Vic. Fished Otter from 430-8pm, to hit the top of the flood. One wild coho in the first few minutes then nothing. Quite lumpy water, and fish showing on the sounder mixed up with lots of kelp etc, but it appears they were quite hungry in the AM.

Was out yesterday and fished Beechy and Sec. around 60'. Caught nothing but Coho's. Kept one hatch maybe 5-6lbs. Tried going deeper and switched to plastic but no luck for springs just lots of Coho. Saw quite a few nets being used but didn't see any large fish being caught. Wind picked up a bit around Sec and with the tide change made it a little lumpy on the outside did manage to hook a few at that time and it added a little extra fun. Nice day on the water though.

Made it out in my Kayak this morning. Launched from Whiffen Spit, headed towards Otter point. Picked up 1 Chinook, 1 Wild coho and a pink (released them all). All on the surface, 1 oz weight, 25 pulls back with a green and white Pt. Defiance spoon. Never did make it all the way to Otter.
Anyone know of a better place to launch a kayak closer to Otter Pt?

If you drive just past Otter Pt. Along the stretch of road by the beach there is a spot to access the beach looks good for a Kayak beach launch there..

Gordons Beach right at Otter Pt. You park right on the road and walk to the beach. Couldn't be any easier.

Thos pics that Rock posted are where I've launched to fish Otter. how was Whiffen to launch? I've never gone there to kayak for some reason. Muir is another good spot with an easy launch into the creek and out to the tack.
T2

Thanks, I'll try that next time. It looks like a great place to launch.
Whiffen spit wasn't a bad launch, if you have a normal Kayak. Mine is 36" wide and 100Lbs empty and was hard to squeeze between the garbage cans and the bike rack. After that, it was great.
I looked at Muir creek and it looked pretty steep to the beach.

Back