Soft floor

fish stalker

I have a soft spot in my floor. How important is it that it gets fixed? Im upgrading soon and just want to get a few more months out of it. Wondering whats the bad thing about ignoring it (other then it getting worse). Can it push on the hull from the inside or anything like that?

I think the sooner you fix the better, as long as the transom and stringers are ok, i think you're good.
the problem is that once you start getting rot in the floor boards, there is likely a good chance
there are other issues unless already repaired.

Pls tell me U don't own a Bayliner !!!!!

Get her fix'd, the resale will @ least, not have a soft floor issue. So it will give U pride of ownership
Or F'it & dump it on CL, where all the junk & desperado's iz available

kh

Its just a really old 16' double eagle. Someone may want to take the time and effort as it needs everything basically redone (again) done but I can get it up and working for a few months before it turns into something major I think/hope lol. Its not worth my time and effort and money as its not the boat I want.

I dont know why I think a soft spot in the floor would put pressure on the hull underneither that spot... Im just learning!

I want something were I dont have to pick my days so carefully.

How do you tell if a transom is strong other then visually and pushing on it? Sorry I ask silly questions I dont have anyone else to ask that knows this stuff. Id like to hit this trail and error half educatedly.

Might fix it and keep it as a lake boat. Just want to make sure theres nothing really bad that could happen out on the water. (knock on soild wood)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its just a really old 16' double eagle. Someone may want to take the time and effort as it needs everything basically redone (again) done but I can get it up and working for a few months before it turns into something major I think/hope lol. Its not worth my time and effort and money as its not the boat I want.

I dont know why I think a soft spot in the floor would put pressure on the hull underneither that spot... Im just learning!

I want something were I dont have to pick my days so carefully.

How do you tell if a transom is strong other then visually and pushing on it? Sorry I ask silly questions I dont have anyone else to ask that knows this stuff. Id like to hit this trail and error half educatedly.

Might fix it and keep it as a lake boat. Just want to make sure theres nothing really bad that could happen out on the water. (knock on soild wood)

Double Eagle are Quality hulls but, but they are older & any hull is subjected to to the eventually decay of fibber glass laminated to wood
I always believe fix the problem & it .............................will disappear, as problem no more

Kh

Pls tell me U don't own a Bayliner !!!!!

Get her fix'd, the resale will @ least, not have a soft floor issue. So it will give U pride of ownership
Or F'it & dump it on CL, where all the junk & desperado's iz available kh

X2 - what K-head said.

I had an old Sangster years ago - w/ soft plywood floor. I cut a piece of plywood first that went within 6" of each side and traced around it with a Sharpy. Then I cut inside the line with a portable circular saw set to cut just through the floor. It was really easy to do. In my case the stringers were okay. Take out the old, rotten floor and clean up with a shop vac. Take strips of plywood, put them below the edges (use PL Premium construction glue) to hold up the new floor patch and screw down. I gooped all the cut edges with Sikaflex caulking first, then screwed the patch down and puttied at the edges with a bit more caulking to fill any gaps. A few days later, after all the glue and sealant set, I painted the whole floor with 3 coats of sundeck coating. The floor was good until I sold the boat - probably still is okay. It was not available then but now, use PL Premium glue - it's 100% polyurethane.

You can check the stringers and transom by drilling a few 1/4" test holes (from inside) to see what comes out. Drill low on the transom and near engine mounting bolts. If nothing or wet, brown muck comes out on the drill, you have work to do. Ideally, you'll see dry wood shavings. Tape the bit so it only goes in 3/4" or so. Seal the test holes with Sikaflex. If you didn't tape the bit, seal the holes on the outside, too. lol
Good luck with it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the floor is soft then the stringers and transom are not far behind or at least are wet which results in a heavy boat. Tap the transom with a hammer, should have a nice ping sound if solid or a thud if rotten. Usually the top of the transom will be solid for reference. Look at any through bolts and screws on the transom, any signs of tan colored stains running out can mean rot, run a straight edge across the transom , if its weak it will start to bow out, also check for spider cracking around the motor supports, thats also a sign the transom is soft and moving. Ultimately core some holes part way through from the inside of the transom down by the bildge with a hole saw which will tell you everything you want or do not want to know. Put the plugs back in with some epoxy mixed with some epoxy fibers to a constancy of peanut butter and a layer of cloth over top.

If the transoms rotten, find someone who wants a project boat or a nice spot in the yard for a fish pond.. :)

Back