Floor Drains - slow draining / replacement?

Macdeep

Is it worth replacing the floor drains in my boat - Malibu Tyee 182?

Got floor drains at each back corner. Not scuppers to the outside, just floor drains to the bilge. They look like original parts. Pretty small hole maybe the width of my finger that drains painfully slow and is easily clogged by coagulated blood etc that ends up on deck after a fish gets the usual treatment before hitting the ice box.

Access is terrible even for a boat. I've sprayed water down each one and poked plyers and screwdrivers down each with little to no improvement. Water goes down, just at it's own pace and sometimes needs encouragement. Poking plyers or a screwdriver in there frantically like a plunger seems to speed things up. Wondering if there's a way to improve drainage.

What are my options and are they worth it?

I think it's worth having a fast effective way to get water off your deck and to your pumps. My current boat has 2 3" deck drains to bilge area. In the event of taking a large volume of water onto your deck from a standing wave or other abnormality getting it to the pump quickly is key to maintaining stability.

Is it worth replacing the floor drains in my boat - Malibu Tyee 182?

Got floor drains at each back corner. Not scuppers to the outside, just floor drains to the bilge. They look like original parts. Pretty small hole maybe the width of my finger that drains painfully slow and is easily clogged by coagulated blood etc that ends up on deck after a fish gets the usual treatment before hitting the ice box.

Access is terrible even for a boat. I've sprayed water down each one and poked plyers and screwdrivers down each with little to no improvement. Water goes down, just at it's own pace and sometimes needs encouragement. Poking plyers or a screwdriver in there frantically like a plunger seems to speed things up. Wondering if there's a way to improve drainage.

What are my options and are they worth it?

try a snake.

Im thinking that boat have a splash well? Bleed your fish in there, then clean the splashwell and fish with water, then transfer to cooler 5 mins later. We do that in our double Eagle 206.

Other option could be to bleed fish over the side on a cord with a Scotty cannonball clip on it to keep the deck fresh dry and clean which is what we used to do.

Im thinking that boat have a splash well? Bleed your fish in there, then clean the splashwell and fish with water, then transfer to cooler 5 mins later. We do that in our double Eagle 206.

Other option could be to bleed fish over the side on a cord with a Scotty cannonball clip on it to keep the deck fresh dry and clean which is what we used to do.
Yes I should bleed them in the splash well! 💡 moment 😆

Sometimes I’m an idiot.

Try compressed Air or power washer you could have a build of of crud i had the same issue and once I blasted it never had a problem could be something easy try that first

Back