Sockeye tips and techniques

Tips Up

Thought I would start this thread to keep the Sooke thread on track.

Clipped this from Murphy's Lodge. Seems like a pretty good summary.

quote:"Sockeye Fishing Techniques for the Alberni Inlet" - by Marilyn Murphy

Technique: Fish as many rods as you can, as close together as possible, but without getting tangled up. And troll is long straight tacks. Use a sounder to locate the depth and locations of the main schools. Then position your gear ABOVE the fish, as much as 20 feet or more. The fish that break away from the school and follow your gear are the ones we are after. Usually after one or two strikes, keep trolling, don't stop completely to play your fish, keep trolling slowly because more than likely the rest of the gear may load up with the following fish. We usually troll our gear using downriggers (a must) fishing 35-95 feet deep; the preferred depth may change year to year depending on the depth of the thermocline.

Where: If you were to look at a chart of the Alberni Inlet you will notice a series of narrows, the fish generally stack up and hold on either side of the narrows, about quarter channel to the shoreline. When deciding where to fish, let your eyes to the work. Start at the top of the inlet, run down (south) and look for groups of boats with action. The sockeye are attracted to "groups" of gear, so don't be discouraged by large groups of vessels fishing, this is a good thing.

Gear: The well known pink hootchie is your best way to go, there are various version of the same from manufactured to homemade using surveyor's tape. Here are my favourites:

Lure: MP16, MP44 (MP stands for "mini-plankton, and the number is the colour code). There are a many colours that are similar to, which are equally as effective. Local shops will have the "hot ticket".

Hook: Just as important as the lure is the hook you choose, single is by far the best. Sockeye twist and spin, so using trebles often works against you. The idea is to get a good solid hook set (let the virtues of a very sharp hook do this, since physically setting the hooks on sockeye result in pulling gear out of their soft mouths.) A single tied Gamagatsu or Eagle Claw LASER SHARP or ACCUPOINT hook is recommended, and many prefer red or black over Chrome. Tandem hooks work too, but these often get tangled up in your net and are not entirely necessary unless the bite is slow and you want to make every strike count.

Leader: It is very important to choose a dense enough leader that will transmit the action of the flasher to the lure, although 25-30 pound seems over test, this is ideal for getting the desired performance to the lure. We prefer an ultragreen or clear line. (Not brown or Chameleon)

Flasher: Hot Spot or Oki Flasher are the ones to use, in colours red or chartreuse, but usually red. Avoid the imitation flashers, their swivels are usually poor quality, I prefer the Hot Spot Commercial version which has Ball bearing swivels on both ends. Nothing worse than trolling around for half and hour to check your gear and find they are all tangled up in a spinned cluster of what now has to be re tied and re rigged. If you have flashers with regular barrel swivels, cut them off and attach good ball bearing swivels at both ends using large split rings.

When: Over the years its pretty much proven that the big action is early in the morning before the full sun comes over the hills of the Alberni Inlet and hits the water. These are tall hills so there are hours of morning action before this may happen. Usually once the wind picks up and we start side tracking, we become ineffective. If the weather says calm, some days the bite just goes on and on.

Sounds exciting? Well it is, so have fun!

I generally just fish for them as bicatch by running red/silver flashers and pink squirts off the back line when they are open and do alright.

In Sooke waters has anyone had success fishing sox in the evenings?

Thanks,
Tips

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

... Lots of guys looking for info but no one offering any.
My guess is that lots of people viewing this thread have never fished Sockeye.

In any case it's all in Murphy's C&P-I do find the bite can come on @ any time during the day never stayed out long enough to see about evening bites.

Glo/Green Flasher Hootchie can work as well as Red closer to the Fraser when they're schooling up.

I even made up a daisy chain of 6 CD's to use as dummy flashers (lotsa flash) and it worked-until I clipped bottom with it. [:I]

Small orange or red spoons behind a flasher also work well on the socks at times. Tried a couple of the old orange Krippled K spoons last week. They are still a great producer, but good luck finding them these days.

I have done very well just before it gets dark in Alberni for sockeye. Don't know about the night bite in other places though.

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

Ahhhh... Lots of guys looking for info but no one offering any.

:D
Tips Up

Last time I fished em was on a free charter trip up at April Point - we had the loser guide that couldn't catch em worth a damn until he asked one of the other guys what the heck they were doing - then it was bam bam bam. Think he shortened up his leaders and went slower, but that was like 7 years ago - can't remember what we were using. Other than that, random bycatch is the only time I've got into them. I hope to get out Thursday night, so i'd also be curious on the nite bite.

I dragged the Alberni commercial (J300 I think) on Saturday for a couple hours, nothing there - did get 1 on a pink squirt/red hotspot, but that was it - rain pants would have been smart!

Googly eyed wild thing.
Or Black 6/0 bare hook
Short leaders 2.5 times length of flasher, experiment, changes daily
Hot spot, green, red, plaid try a bunch they are fussy some days
Troll slow flasher just revolves
Lots of short choppy turns,Generally trolling straight, the idea is to jerk the gear. In and out of gear on the motor works too.
Stack rods 4 minimum
DO NOT BRING ALL THE RODS IN IF YOU ARE INTO FISH
Leave at least one down, they like to follow.
Don't waste time netting, grab the flasher flip em into the tub get it down again.
Caught lots doing it that way
Dan.

to answer your question about afternoon and evenings "yes" they do bite at those times too. i've had many good afternoon/evening bites back in the commercial trolling days. my personal favorite flasher is the blue hot spot flasher with the prism tape on them,I also run a 32 inch overall tail on them with a 4/0 stainless hook and any of the assorted pink hootchies out there. hope that helps

Well..here's an article some of the Sockeye Folks may like...I pulled it off the net. Can't remember who it is by..but he writes lots of books and brags about catching tons of fish each year.... I know one fella who fishes like this...he replaces the Kripple K's with Party Girl Coyotes in the 3.5 and 4.0 size. Sockeye Squirts work well too.

Hardcore Sockeye Lore

The Fish

Sockeye (Oncorhyncus nerka) possess a justly deserved reputation as the five-star restaurant version of all Pacific salmon. With bright orange flesh, these fish owe their strong piscatorial flavour to the abundance of krill and plankton that forms their diet on the high seas.

Returning in the June to early August period, sockeye are distinguished by their forest green dorsal surfaces with an absence of spots or markings, their lack of teeth, large glassy eyes, cross hatched scales and long, slender gill rakers. If you cannot tell the species of salmon you just landed and it looks like it is set in glass, you have a sockeye.

Sockeye are abundant only in river systems with access to lakes. These precise four-year fish require two years of fry maturation in lakes before descending to salt water and the open sea. Sockeye are open water fish not associated with bottom structure and more prone to travel in plankton rich tidelines.

The Locations Of Interception

Many anglers believe that all sockeye belong to the Fraser River run but they are not correct. While the Fraser run (comprised of 65 individual components of 4- to 12-lb fish) that returns in cyclic peaks of 4 – 24 million fish is the run on which the Canadian and American seine fleet concentrates, many river systems all along the west coast support sockeye populations. The Bristol Bay and Kenai River in Alaska are famous for their sockeye runs.

Typically a deep, offshore migrator sockeye become available to near-shore fisheries where they bunch in pre-estuary staging areas. The Alberni Inlet on Vancouver Island, for instance, receives an average of 500,000 sockeye for the Somass River into a deep, narrow fjord that bunches the fish at 100’ levels. The Henderson Lake fish arrive in early May and Inlet fishing continues until early August.

Further north, sockeye traverse the misty Langara Island shores in late June. Those destined for the Georgia Strait or Puget Sound migrate through Johnstone Strait in a La Nina cold water year and through Juan de Fuca Strait in warm water El Nino conditions. Even a half-degree change in temperature can bring these fish toward land as much as 300 miles north of their intended transit. July 15 to August 15 is the witching period.

Campbell River produced a record 17-pound sockeye in 2000. The Point Roberts angler accesses the Fraser run at T’swassen Ferry Terminal. San Juan Island anglers venture into Haro Strait south of Roche Harbour or join their Canadian compatriots at the Pender Island Bluff (Remember to be properly licensed if you plan to fish across an international border).

In years that the Juan de Fuca Strait is the preferred route for Fraser fish, sockeye may be taken as far off shore as the international channel markers 12 – 15 miles from land.

The Hardcore Lore

Fifteen years ago something changed in the sockeye brain. From gummy-mouthed plankton feeders that shied away from man-made lures, evolved a fish consistently taken by trollers. At first, only one rig would do the trick: a red Krippled K spoon on a short (24 - 30 inch) leader trolled behind a small red dodger. Anglers trolled in a straight line as slow as they could move.

Then came the standard red or orange hootchie behind a Hotspot flasher. Succeeding fish even nabbed a green or black Apex and, strangely for a herbivore, sometimes anchovy in a green teaserhead. At remote northern resorts, even cutplugs were hit.

A better more consistent method has recently been developed. Not for the technique-challenged among us, this trolling technique is a thing of complexity and wonder. The intention is to get at least three flashers per downrigger because, unlike other salmon species, sockeye respond to light shows, moving in and following lures for long periods of time. Separating the lures from the flashers adds more flash and more fun – you fish the sockeye, not the flasher. Adding ultra-light spinning rods adds even more to the fun.

Take a close look at the diagram below and commit it to memory. You will note that the bottom and the top flasher on each downrigger bear one of the new Oki colourations: magenta and green stripes on silver. The middle flasher, is a standard red Hotspot flasher. The point is to draw the sockeye in with the top and bottom and then their eye is drawn to the middle and different colour.

This rig works better the closer you can get all the gear together. If you can get it closer than five feet, so much the better. Shorter flasher leaders is the key. You will know when you are too close or leaders are too long: all rods and flashers on each downrigger will spin together in a fishing-rage mess.

As for spoon preparation, Krippled Ks in the larger size should have a small bend put in the back third of the spoon. Take the spoon head between your thumb and first finger, placing your other thumb and first finger at the hook end of the spoon. Bend the hook end forward and across to produce a little wrinkle that introduces an assymetric pattern to the spoon’s flutter.

Prior to bending the spoon (Radiant also offers a usable spoon, though it cannot be bent) go to the hobby shop and purchase sheets of reflective, glow patterns, gummed on one side. Pearlescent and bubble gum colours should be high on your list. Cut to size and mount on the coloured side of the spoon.

Finally, before the lure is dipped in water dip it in X-10 or other fish-attracting scent. The camera flash of all those flashers lures the sockeye in and once they’re following, the scent induces a nip on the spoon. And after the nip, if the fish is on the deeper rod (which is mounted on the gunwale closer to the bow than the bottom rod) make sure to steer its tip around the higher rod or you will be tangled quicker than you can say, “Fish on.”

Other Hardcore Lore

Be on the water before the sun is.
Troll with the tide cranking a sharp turn every few hundred yards. Sockeye are tremendous followers and any change in lure action can trigger a strike.
For a whiskey rod – a 6-oz slip weight 20’ in front of a red Hotspot flasher – pull two feet of line, hold, then let it go. You will be amazed how many sockeye this corny trick will take.
Put the boat in and out of gear every few minutes.
Less is better than more with sockeye. Yank a few fronds from those day-glo orange hootchies (nearly always preferable to smaller sizes). Do not cut them off.
Set your Black Box to .7 volts. Or mount a brass clip – known as a spreader bar – on the downrigger line, then attach two feet of dacron and finally the downrigger ball.
Pink, red or orange are the colours of choice. For Alberni Inlet and Campbell River add purple.
Sockeye schools typically register on depthsounders as scratchyness in the 60- to 120-foot range. The biters will be above the main school. Jumpers seldom bite.
If you can run three or four downriggers on your boat, make sure to stack flashers on all of them – even if you run out of rods to stack on them.
Buy up all the large Krippled Ks you can lay your hands on as they have been discontinued.
If using bait and it returns with slithery marks, re-rig the baithead with a 4X brass treble and a 3/0 curved single trailer.

krippled k's eh, hmm I've got some and I will give em a whirl next outing, pretty sure the old man used to catch socky's on them in Alberni! Could the fishing get even better?? Cheers, Jimbo

I use the googley eye, and m55 michael baits, with the blue glow head,
run 6-8 dummy flashers on each side, with my hootchie on the top one,
make long slow tacks, never clear the flashers, usually better going to the west (here)make the tack , pick up and go back and start agian if you have to. 19 inch leaders, 4 ft from cable to flasher.

well i can say listen to what dan has to say on the topic, we only spent a short time fishing for sockeye at the end of our day (when they supposedly dont bite as much) and we hit a bunch of fish, only landed 3 but if we stuck it out the cooler would be full
i definately learned something new today
tks again dan for a great day

Get 80 pound test, then tie a green hot spot flasher w/ a pink squirt to it. Clip on to downrigger, then repeat every 12 feet till you have 10 - 12 out there. Then repeat on the other side. When the downrigger starts to bounce, you have a fish on, but let it soak, you will surely get more. Be sure to put 2 dummy rods out the top just in case DFO is around, and keep a good pair of side cutters handy.

Not sure if this method is legal but what the hell? The Fraser River stocks are in great shape right? At least that's what the guy I just bought my sockeye off said.

quote:Originally posted by Red Sled

Get 80 pound test, then tie a green hot spot flasher w/ a pink squirt to it. Clip on to downrigger, then repeat every 12 feet till you have 10 - 12 out there. Then repeat on the other side. When the downrigger starts to bounce, you have a fish on, but let it soak, you will surely get more. Be sure to put 2 dummy rods out the top just in case DFO is around, and keep a good pair of side cutters handy.

Not sure if this method is legal but what the hell? The Fraser River stocks are in great shape right? At least that's what the guy I just bought my sockeye off said.

Sounds about as sporting as the flossing, your method might catch on.

quote:
Originally posted by Red Sled

it is illegal

Red sled, would like to try that method out at rennie right now, but I don,t think the FNs with there siene boats out here would approve of it.

rd green

I found this year that the 3.5" Halloween(Orange/black) worked very well. Threw it on one of the rods for the hell of it one morning and got a fish within 3 minutes of it going down, and continued to produce each time out. Another good one was the pink squirts with a light blue head. A good net man is a big help too.

Back