28-4 sponge reef closures

sushieater

Heading to Porteau Cove this weekend with the boat.

28-4 has a few sponge reef closures. The main one (Defence Islands, not East Defence Islands) and is situated along that ridge between Defense islands and porteau cove and is described with 'Bottom Contact Fisheries Restrictions', but all the others closed areas are listed as 'Bottom Contact Fisheries Restrictions and downrigger restrictions'

1697665474145.png

I would like to think this is cut and dry, but the DFO regs are never easy. I believe I can troll w/ my downriggers in the pink areas but not the red one?

As long as I'm not contacting bottom would be the caveat.

I usually don't fish salmon this time of year. Winter feeder springs is what I would be targeting? Should I be trying to keep gear near the bottom? Any suggestions? That whole structure between porteau cove and defense islands look fishy.

Thanks!

Based on the regs you can fish downriggers in there. Winter chinook are generally found near structure so fishing near the bottom is usually best. I'd suggest fishing outside of the closure regardless of the regulation, especially if targeting bottom dwelling winters. Both from the perspective of conserving the reef, and also from the perspective of avoiding any waster fishing time because the COs have stopped you in the restricted area.
Small spoons on bottom. Close to Porteau or on the NW side of Defence. Might be a little early for the winters, but there's always a few around.

Back