Sockeye gone

the announcement is today for gillnets but expect one wed/thurs probally a shaort one then the natives will pound them this weekend. I would launch in steveston, just follow the jetty out right to the end

Yes it was an epic day on the water yesterday weather was unbelievable and the bite incredible-here's a few shots.

Tried to get some of Brisco's boat but it's so shiny and new! [8D]

Fraser River @ McDonald Beach
006.jpg

010.jpg

Heading Down South
011.jpg

The rig that did most of the damage-Glo Squirt, Chartreuse Glo Flasher
025.jpg

Maybe the reason one side of the boat was so hot all day-double Purple Haze Flashers for dummies
026.jpg

A few of the many carcasses
027.jpg

It's so good right now you should be limiting your boat in just over an hour to maybe 2 hours if you want to be more leisurely. Buddy yesterday put 20 8 lb Sox in the boat in 2 hours with first time fishers. Headed out now to do it all over again...it's gorgeous out there!

I have never fished for socks,I am going to be at the Nook starting on the 21st for a week, are there any places around the Nook we can catch sockeye and if so what is the best type of gear to use, or will all the sockeye have moved down the inlet...[?]

My boat is shiny but not new,its on its 6th season and I am anal for keeping it clean etc. Another stellar day of limiting out and a 22 lb bonus.

010-7.jpg

It takes a strong and smart dog to hold the fish with his arms straight out to make the fish look like a tyee. Mine still jumps out of the boat if he sees a duck. Nice work.

Hi.

Any late afternoon and evening reports from yesterday? Was going to be on the grounds by 4:30pm today for a couple hours but am wondering how the evening bite has been. Also, is it "Sandheads or bust" or is it worth dropping the lines on the way down at either the Bellbuoy/North Arm or T-10?

Thanks as always.

Brisco
I see a theme in all your pictures---- is it
Fish
Dog
Or a reaaly good bottle of wine at the end of the day.
Shot me a email if your going out today, i called you on the radio last night as you went past.
Keep it up

HPIM1274-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Teja
.....is it "Sandheads or bust" or is it worth dropping the lines on the way down at either the Bellbuoy/North Arm or T-10?
We made the mistake of stopping further north on top of solid schools of fish but it was a waste of time-they wouldn't bite.

Sandheads is the</u> place to be hands down the fastest action on Sockeye in years.

North of Sandheads was on fire yesterday eve. Get on it! :)

North, thanks-- but i know how to check the web for this. I was looking for someone on the water. Now that people use crackberries and handheld laptops out on boats it is very easy to get LIVE updates.
But thanks anyhow - dont take it as an insult also

HPIM1274-1.jpg

Weathered the wind this morning, started at 8 am boated a few, had 2 work for them, blowin like a son of a %$%$%%%! Finished about 12:30 a few short of limit but the wind blowin 25 or more made it damn tough, gill netters were slaying them in the river!

Yesterday morning, on fire .... it died after 2:00 pm, managed a few again but nothing like morning!

HT

Wow,good for you Hightide. Yesterday that bloody siener cleaned up most of the schools out there.You should have seen the hauls they had. I like the trawlers, but why don't they shut the sieners down ? This is the last run of sox and there are not as many as 4 years ago so in 4 years will there be any ? I bet not.:(

can't agree more with you, we watched that same vessel for what was over an hour steady of hauling with the creel scoop net out of the purse, no wonder they were hootin and hollering, unbelievable, they took thousands and thousands.
I did too admire the com. trollers though, when they got on to them they were fish after fish, but at least they could say they earned it more.

Here we are trying for a few for the freezer over winter spending thousands of bucks on gear, equip. etc. sure is nice to take a few home any way.

Good luck all, I hope the wind dies and the runs stay strong.

HT

What about all the other fish the seiners catch? Steelhead,springs,coho, whats the odds off these fish surviving being netted? Does anyone know if there is a fisheries person observing ? I talked to a guy that got raked over the coals by fisheries at Captains Cove ramp by D.F.O. and he hadn't even launched yet. These guys don't even know who's coming or going.[:I]

Back