Sockeye gone

Well Brisco,

How does it feel to be right.??
The sockeye are gone. :(

Well, there are a few around, we got 5 at Sandheads Saturday mid day, 40 to 57 feet. Not like we had hoped, we fishied from Dawn to dusk. I will try later this week on my way over to Pender Island for a few days.

Brisco please don't make anymore predictions this year OK.

Easpoint

quote:Originally posted by eastpoint

Well Brisco,

How does it feel to be right.??
The sockeye are gone. :(

Well, there are a few around, we got 5 at Sandheads Saturday mid day, 40 to 57 feet. Not like we had hoped, we fishied from Dawn to dusk. I will try later this week on my way over to Pender Island for a few days.

Brisco please don't make anymore predictions this year OK.

Easpoint

Not really a prediction but I did jinx it for sure. At least I was out there for 10 hrs as well and only got the one. Wonder what happened today ?

Well I don't what I was doing right.:D

The kid didn't want to get up early so we didn't get our lines in til about 7. Went out where there were a half dozen boats in about 700 ft. of water. Hooked and landed one sock out there for an hours effort.

Decided to join the pack closer to the mouth in about 300 ft., saw lots of fish down there. Jumping all around us, all right[^]. We got our 7 more in about an hour maybe and hour and a half. Went 7 for 12. [8D] Was real busy with 3 on at one time, mostly between 10 - 11 o'clock. Pretty sure this was just about predicted high tide time for Sandheads.

Chartreuse Kone Zones, 2 red flasher and 2 kinda orangey/red flashers. Arms length leaders, pink squirts at 2 - 2.4mph. Had 'er dialed in I guess, every dog has his day.[:eek:)] We worked between 30 -55 ft. deep.

I'm wondering, what size hooks do most use on them squirts? I had 2/0 hooks on, the socks seem to have smallish mouths.

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? More (sockeye) beginners luck I hope.

Went out this a.m. not too early- nearly 7:30 by the time we got there. Caught our 6 (out of 12 hooked) and were done before noon. Caught them mostly at 60 - 95 feet on pink squirts above dummy flashers. Beautiful day, lots of boats and we saw orcas at point roberts.:)

Where exactly is Sandheads? Down towards South Arm?

I am going out tomorrow and spot I would like to hit.

Cheers

Ayup. Mouth of the South Arm area.

From Wikipedia (so it must be true);)

An interesting screw-pile lighthouse was built at Sandheads off the mouth of the Fraser river in 1880; it was demolished in 1913 and replaced by a lightship. After building a long jetty to stabilize the channel location, in 1960 a new lighthouse was built at Sandheads.

Tried T10 for a while then joined the fleet at Sandheads. We were doing nothing till we found the right combination. Dummy flashers, green flasher on the working lines with pink (not orange) squirts, 27 inch leaders, 50 feet. Limited in an hour. Three double headers, landed one. Some nice big ones too. Humpbacks at the T10 coming back, maybe some Orcas too.

Had one double header on and some a-hole trolls right in front of us, cross traffic, and yells at us to give him right of way. We were on his right anyway, we had right of way. What a pratt.

Was a great day out at Sandheads.

img1582t.jpg

This is awesome, from what Coriba is saying I'll go out Monday and the whales will bne there.:(

Picked up at 8 at Sandheads this morning. Not too early. Got fishing around 10:00 am finished at 2pm. While bringing in number 8, the limit, DFO was watching and came over after to look for fishing licenses and PCO card, that was all. So all was good and they were on their way. Fished two rods only. Worked for us. My buddy picked up 12 in his boat. Absolutely amazing day out there today. Fish being caught everywhere.

My last name is near the end of the alphabet, so I'm always last to get newsletters and such. Just got Dave Korsch's latest and it sounds great!

Now here is the really good news........as good as the fishing has been, "we ain't seen nothin' yet!" The main bulk of this year's run is comprised of late-run stocks which have yet to arrive.....and they are the biters! Test catches in the approach waters have been increasing significantly over the past few days, and those fish are still a week away from the mouth of the Fraser. In fact, the peak of the run off the mouth of the river should occur near the end of August.

Thanks for the reports guys[8D] I'm heading out right now, hope I get a few. I will report back tonight.

Me too!![:p][:p] Would be nice to get a big boy in the mix as we did in the harbor friday night!

Well..I'll file this report from the water...you can walk on 'em out here guys...get out after work...before work...get OUT here. Limits for as many people as your boat can take! :D

I'm sick of of sockeye already [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Well..I'll file this report from the water...you can walk on 'em out here guys...get out after work...before work...get OUT here. Limits for as many people as your boat can take! :D

I'm sick of of sockeye already [}:)]

The way I look at...if they can't be bothered to come out fishing when it's not so good...they can stay home when it's this good.[:p]

Next time out we're gonna give it a go with lighter rods and no flasher...just the Kone Zones. It might be a little more fun. When they're this thick it might just work.

Now I just have to pick up my new deck plate for the offshore bracket..washing the boat and left it on the gunnel. Hit the street at the bottom of the driveway and off it goes, of course a car runs it over....:(

It was awesome today. Even my wife had fun and she hates fishing. I agree with taking people that want to go out now that its hot, and by the way if someone takes you out offer to pay for something.:(

well, came across from nanaimo this afternoon with the wife, 2hrs, limited out, lost or played with, ( wife practicing netting) 11 more. Started to see others with fish, but we got so busy , we didn't watch. I will be back tommorrow. fish at 55 to 60 ft.

Ha Ha , my wife also practised today.We lost our biggest fish right at the boat.I kept hearing a thud in the boat then realised it was sox jumping against the hull.[:0] Saw Dogbreath at the ramp in the morning,I have met him when he worked at Steveston marine. Super guy and was great at his job.Here's a few pics from today,

fishes054.jpg

fishes048.jpg

fishes045.jpg

fishes041.jpg

The one on the end is a dogfish.:D

fishes072.jpg

Originally posted by Brisco

It was awesome today. Even my wife had fun and she hates fishing. I agree with taking people that want to go out now that its hot, and by the way if someone takes you out offer to pay for something.:(

[/

Ha ha the boats don't run on friendship do they? ]Some just don't get it![8D]

I had to upgrade the freezer for the good fortunes of 3 trips to Ucluelet, but this looks too fun to miss out on. If I launch at McDonald do I have to run all the way to the lightship or are there a few closer to the North Arm? Staying at Mom's in Richmond so I could launch at Steveston I suppose, but I'm less familiar with the run out. Any gillnet openings Thursday/Friday? Thanks for any advice.

Back