Sockeye gone

Yup,and it was killer. I had at least 20 fish on that side only.We lost at least 6 at the boat. It outperformed the real Daisy chain many times over. I had a newbie on board that couldn't reel,net or drive . Maybe he can cook :D We went home with 7.

quote:Originally posted by high tide

Holy COW!!!

You got over $100 bucks in attractors there, Kone Zone, Spin n glo's a plenty, CD's from ZZ TOP, Kiss, Led Zeplin, swivels and more !!

I used to use a simular set up if lake trolls behind the flashers, but don't dare stop or get tangled up.

Hey if it works why change it.

It was incredible out there today!!

Sandheads to Pt, Atkinson

CT

My brother was out off of North arm after he launched at 10 00am at MacDonald beach today, he says at least 200 boats in vicinty and he only seen about 3 fish caught, he got one only, so to use the word INNCREDIBLE i think is a little over estimating the northern success. I dont really have this figured out but i wish i could dial it in as i would love this fishery to be an annual event

My brother was out off of North arm after he launched at 10 00am at MacDonald beach today, he says at least 200 boats in vicinty and he only seen about 3 fish caught, he got one only, so to use the word INNCREDIBLE i think is a little over estimating the northern success. I dont really have this figured out but i wish i could dial it in as i would love this fishery to be an annual event

I had 2 in the boat in the first 5 minutes and if I had a seasoned fisherman with me would have our limit in an hour and a half. In Vancouver now, thats incredible. You will never see a yearly fishery and this one is doomed as well.[xx(]

I was out at the north arm Sat morning. It was a beautiful day and it looked like hundreds of boats were out.

I had four rods out and was alone in the boat. After trolling around for a few hours and nothing to show, all hell broke loose. All four rods went crazy. I managed to get three of the fish on board and only lost one at the boat. What a mess of lines, rods and fish!! Lost two others afterward but still had a great day.
At one time I saw a green flasher swimming by the boat!
Back at the dock, I was cleaning the fish and nearly lost one to a very bold young seal that was lurking around.

Will be out again later this week.

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Yup,and it was killer. I had at least 20 fish on that side only.We lost at least 6 at the boat. It outperformed the real Daisy chain many times over. I had a newbie on board that couldn't reel,net or drive . Maybe he can cook :D We went home with 7.

We had a couple of newbies too. Reeling backwards, falling down, not setting the hook,...still went home with five, should have been about 10.

Really blowy today, maybe this afternoon.

heading out for sockeye in a couple of hours. will let ya know how it goes. Gonna try to stay closer to Vancouver than Sandheads where the fishing has been solid for the past couple weeks. Will try between Pt. Grey and QA marker. May have chinook gear down on one side as well as I see there are a few nice ones being brought in.

I've been hitting all my sox on pink/red squirts, some with glow heads have been working better than others. lot's of dummy flashers as well. hope they are biting this aft.

Hey Tincan , areport would be nice. On another note, has anyone heard any rumours when they shut sox down ? [?]

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Hey Tincan , areport would be nice. On another note, has anyone heard any rumours when they shut sox down ? [?]

From another thread:
quote:Originally posted by Governor

More good news. Sounds again like the SFAB sockeye management conference call this Tuesday night is cancelled. That means no changes on the horizon and sockeye fishing stays open.:D

The test fisheries are showing an increase in total numbers which tends to imply there are even more fish than were predicted. Nice to have some good salmon news for a change!!

Get 'em while you can!

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Judging by the amount of sox in the JDF still they might let it run its course.
Off Sooke today with a couple newbs.... Sox jumping everywhere. Got our dz in fairly short order and lost many many more

Great day out on the water.. picked up a third guy for the boat at Vanier around 9:30 this morning and headed out to Bell Bouy to drop our gear.. hit 2 socks fairly quickly (orange flashers, pink squirts) and had something BIG hit our deep rod which ripped the leader right off the flasher after two or three headshakes.

It pretty much died by 11:00am and we trolled south from QA to T10 with limited action all around until 1:00. We decided to pick up and head south towards Sandheads as the flood tide started coming in, and saw a huge pod of killer whales (15-20 of them it seemed) moving north.

As soon as we got south of the airport and closer to sandheads, we could see big schools back on sonar and sockeye finning around on the surface everywhere. We got the gear back in the water around 2:00 and fished between sandheads and T10 and probably got in to 25 sockeye in the next 3 hours. We limited out with 12 in the box and even did some catch and release because it was still going off out there.

Pretty consistent depths, fishing 85 feet on bottom and 60 feet on top. Bottom rods consistently popped first, perhaps it was the cone zones off the down rigger balls that was attracting fish to them first.

Good luck out there.

I hope to get out for an evening fish tomorrow,hope the whales have fed and left by then.

Brisco,

Solid afternoon on the water. ActionJackson said it well. We started of Pt. Grey and saw dozens of boats and quite a few nice schools on the sounder but not a lot of nets in the water. After 30 mins without a bite we headed south past the whales (near T10 marker when I got there) and stopped when we saw serious finning and jumping about half way between T10 and sandheads.

We lowered our gear to 50-70 feet and for the next 3 hours hit fish after fish. ended up with our limit (minus 1) for 4 guys reel quick and had a blast fighting a few more for ****s and giggles. Pulled our lines at 6pm and tried for a nookie at the mile markers on the way home to no avail. Oh well, 15 in the boat and a whale show aint a bad day.

Had 2 dummies on both downriggers and red/pink squirts behind red/green flashers. Talked to a few buddies who stayed North near Pt. Grey and they only had a couple bites each. We guessed right and headed south today. Off to the smoker with this lot and now I can relax and release not that my winter food is taken care of.

Hammered them the past 2 days, they are out there in numbers. Even after a huge pod of Killer Whales went through yesterday, we still caught them, just moved away while they gorged themselves.
Seems to happen in waves, lots of strikes, some boxed some lost then nothing for a bit, then on again, head for the jumpers, raise your gear into them if your not fishing shallow.
Still having most of our success at 45 to 70 feet, red flashers out fishing the greens for sure on my craft.
Good luck every one.

HT

It's not even worth commenting on how "good" the fishing is for these. It's not fishing, or angling, it's simply catching. They are no sport, this is a meat fishery!!!

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

It's not even worth commenting on how "good" the fishing is for these. It's not fishing, or angling, it's simply catching. They are no sport, this is a meat fishery!!!

Oh you just figured that out??? Thats what they all are unless you want some 3 yr old freezer throphys.

[:p]

:D

Does time of day make much of a difference with respect to where the fish are biting. When I've gotten out in the mornings and early afternoons, the fishing around the bell buoy/QA has been awesome, but last night I didn't get out until after 6 pm and got nothing in that area. Went a bit south ran into a couple of boats that I know and they had nothing either. Didn't see a net out all night. Changed up depths, speed, leader length a few times, but no luck. Didn't go all the way down to the t10, but maybe I should have.

Gonna try to get out again today, but with work I can't get out until after lunch. I usually launch out of vanier park and with the low tide right around lunch time, I probably won't be able to get the boat in until the mid afternoon.

FM and WOLF,

Since when has Sox fishing ever been classified as sporting with all the gear you have to use?

Ya so it's a meat fishery, plain and simple better to catch some nice eating fish then to have too many on the spawning grounds.

As for making some fishermen into experts, .....Huh ? who's claiming that? Good on any one that can take out friends, family or guests and clients and successfully catch some, it creates smiles all round.

All this said there is no comparison to nailing a big spring and having a nice fight and battle on your hands, these Sox do not do that, hands down.

HT

"Carl Walters, a fisheries expert from the University of B.C.’s zoology department, said Ms. Shea could reduce the conflict by allowing a greater share of the salmon to be caught this year.

“What is truly shocking is not that the run is large, but rather that DFO apparently does not plan to allow high harvest rates. There could be a huge waste of fish,” he said, with river conditions so crowded that millions of fish may perish without spawning"

Better do my part and go kill some more to help increase the survival rate on the spawning grounds ;)

Re the comments above about socs being a meat fishery .....yeah it is good meat isn't it ? There is some truth to that...BUT !!

I beg to differ on the fight of these not being a ton of fun.....or sport-- if thats what is implied. This aint' flossin thats for sure!!
... a few socs don't fight all that hard but a high percentage I have had have done several amazing acrobatic cartwheel jumps, not unlike big coho...some stripping line like a monster coho....one soc actually leaped several times out off the stern as they often do ......then thrashing and twisting ..then when it came to the net went crazy and then did a 360 degree move from the starboard stern around my bow and rocketed down the port side side of the boat only to leap again off the stern and then was landed back at the starboard stern. All happening while another line had a fish on and 2 other rods still out !!!! Yeah its a meat fishery hmmmm??? ....ok agree but with mixed with absolutely amazing sporting fun :D. Some socs have also screamed enough line out I actually wasn't sure I didn't have a spring on!! Not exactly the long runs of big Springs, of course but for me, my kids, friends and family it has been a gas so far .....not just a meat fishery. Just ask my daughter and nephew. They don't even eat much of it !

Last night at Sandheads was crazy. I'm hearing on the radio how big this run is,well I remember 4 years ago was big as well. So we get a few fish and all is well? Where are the 15 lb coho we used to catch and all the other runs? D.F.O. are a bunch of turkeys.

Back