Sockeye gone

I heard from a reliable source that DFO's new high tech method for deciding on seine openings was to troll these forums and when it gets hot, send in the rapists to clean her out. When will these Fu$&ing idiots figure it out, we finally get a good return and this combined with the unregulated native ceremonial "commercial" fishing ,will screw it up all over again. We ( recreational tax paying fisherman) dump a ton of money into the economy and and are the lowest on the totem pole. This is my rant.
I hate DFO

Here's a true story, I was with my father in law and we were taking the boat out at Island 22. D.F.O. guy come up to us and asks if we had fish and we told him 2 sox each. The D.F.O. guy starts to freak out that we were getting arrested etc. He scared me when he said sox were closed, but we were possitive they were open and a couple of other guys came over. When everyone ganged up on him he called someone then said ,"oh you guys are right sockeye is open" . Retard.

Just make sure you go to -south of Nanaimo for better update. Water reports are much better as I have been out there when it should be blowin 10- 15 northwesterly and its like freakin glass!! Did some work on my kicker bracket, ready to go back out and have some fun!!Bringing the family this time, good times to share with close ones![:p][:p]

Thanks for those guys.:)

Hope the numbers get back up before I go out on Saturday. It's gonna be a busy day, want to be home by 11 a.m.

Slow out there yesterday afternoon/evening for sockeye off Sandheads. Probably 20 boats out there but nary a net for 3-4 hours... although I'm sure a few were caught. After limiting out most trips in the past week or so we nabbed 4 undersized and that's it. Fished on my buddies boat with his gear and though so that may have had something to do with it. He also had his wife on board and another couple so probably just bad luck. I heard the morning was hot so hopefully it was just a case of the 100's of commercial vessels ravaging the seas combined with sloppy weather and average tackle?? I'm sure another big wave of fish will be moving in shortly

Yesterday morning was hot! We got our limit in a couple of hours despite my buddy going 0 for 6 at one point. In small boat with all the wind it was bit tricky when a double header went off twice and one triple. Lots of fun!

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

quote:Originally posted by Teja
.....is it "Sandheads or bust" or is it worth dropping the lines on the way down at either the Bellbuoy/North Arm or T-10?
We made the mistake of stopping further north on top of solid schools of fish but it was a waste of time-they wouldn't bite.

Sandheads is the</u> place to be hands down the fastest action on Sockeye in years.

quote]

Originally posted by tincan

Slow out there yesterday afternoon/evening for sockeye off Sandheads. Probably 20 boats out there but nary a net for 3-4 hours... although I'm sure a few were caught. After limiting out most trips in the past week or so we nabbed 4 undersized and that's it. Fished on my buddies boat with his gear and though so that may have had something to do with it. He also had his wife on board and another couple so probably just bad luck. I heard the morning was hot so hopefully it was just a case of the 100's of commercial vessels ravaging the seas combined with sloppy weather and average tackle?? I'm sure another big wave of fish will be moving in shortly

Luckily and thankfully Sockeye fishing is usually hot action without too much problem ( except the workout hauling in fish after fish) but when the going is a bt tougher - Think outside of the box for sox.

Don't always expect the schools to be in exactly the same place every trip out......also, not all schools will have biters. For example Tincan, there was a great bite yesterday morning and afternoon but less so at Sandheads. What Dogbreath was saying in a post earlier this week about stopping before Sandheads and finding a big school that wouldn't bite was apparently true for that particlar time he was there but it can change quickly. The bite can be off in one area but be on in another. There however could have been other schools there that did have biters. Its NEVER a bad idea to stop and try an area where you find schools, ....if you find they do bite then bonus! ...as you have saved yourself some gas !! . While a school could be full of non-biters, often what does happen is that a big school has a smaller percentage of biters that will break off the main school and follow your gear ( you can see this happen on your sounder!) As this group of fish comes off the main school and follows, you will likely get great action until you loose the school ( or catch all the followers !!) . If I get followers but no bites I change speed down and up and make turns ( rigger up and down a couple feet works too).....followers will usually always eventually bite. Move if no 'followers' in any of the schools you have gone over.

Reactions: AB3
Lots of fish have made it to the grounds and more are coming and more will make it...I don't totally agree with seiners either but an opening is an opening. They (commies) have had a total of 8 hours in 4 years.

Habitat degradation and fish farms cause larger fish losses than a couple of 3 or 4 hour openings.

Even with DFO's bad luck and crappy forecasting... i'm sure they have a little more resources to justify openings than freakin fish sites...it is a pretty tough job to estimate returns and keep everybody happy.

All the sports guys I know are having no problem putting fish in their freezer and will still have more chances.

Cheers,

Getbent

Overall rather slow today from the North Arm south to Sandheads.

Decent numbers of fish around on the sounder and jumping but the bite never happened at all.

Total of 3 strikes in 8 hrs fishing one large Sockeye buck taken.

The Spring bite was steady though too bad they were all under a foot long-this too is reminiscent of days gone by-must have hooked 8 of the little buggers.

TinySalmon001.jpg

Got a solid report tday, its still hot out there!! Return trip to dock with 7 sockeye and 18lb spring under 4hrs. Several lost fish as well, same area north of sandheads. Think christmas tree!!

Still on fire out there. Was out yesterday (Friday 20th) from around 10am, done at 2pm. Limit for 3 of us. What at riot. Fished half way between Point Grey and Point Atkinson. Fish jumping and hitting the boat. Amazing fishing. Can't stop smiling.

Sockeye gone nothin!

It's on again everyone, from North arm to Sandheads .... GIDDY UP !

They are there in good numbers so get your families out for some fun, 45 to 70 feet for us did the trick today.

Good luck

HT

Dogbreath gave me the idea for this and I stole it. Its a Daisy chain made from cd's and spin and glo's that I had sitting around the house. I used it today and it outfished the real Daisy chain bigtime.

003-23.jpg

Holy COW!!!

You got over $100 bucks in attractors there, Kone Zone, Spin n glo's a plenty, CD's from ZZ TOP, Kiss, Led Zeplin, swivels and more !!

I used to use a simular set up if lake trolls behind the flashers, but don't dare stop or get tangled up.

Hey if it works why change it.

It was incredible out there today!!

Sandheads to Pt, Atkinson

CT

Outstanding[^], now I know what to do with those old rap and hip hop cd's the kids left behind when they moved out.:D

Those silver mylar wings on the spin-n-glows plus the noise they make, what a good idea.

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Dogbreath gave me the idea for this and I stole it. Its a Daisy chain made from cd's and spin and glo's that I had sitting around the house. I used it today and it outfished the real Daisy chain bigtime.

003-23.jpg

Did you drag it today?[8D]

Back