Sockeye gone

WTF?

So some guys who don't get out every day are having some fun catching sox....guess it's a crime it's so easy.

Calling us out as great fishermen, I don't who claimed that title.

It's not gonna keep me from posting when I do get the chance to get into some fish. It's only fishing boys, not rocket science. I do it for fun, and yeah when it comes to sox to put some in the freezer, and I've been having some fun, what's wrong with that?[?]

People who haven't fished in years have been out with us and having a ball, 'nuff said. Makes me laugh.....

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Last night at Sandheads was crazy. I'm hearing on the radio how big this run is,well I remember 4 years ago was big as well. So we get a few fish and all is well? Where are the 15 lb coho we used to catch and all the other runs? D.F.O. are a bunch of turkeys.

Brisco, Whats the matter ?? ...you have been posting regulularily on this thread about what a great fishery this is going on right now , posting photos and promoting this fishery like just like others .....YOU ACTUALLY STARTED THIS THREAD !!! ......and then this post above ? Sorry it doesn't make much sense to me. You say " 4 years ago was big as well " ( this years brood stock) ....and your point ?
This soc cycle is doing well and thats good news to most of us. Nobody has said the overall soc fishery (other cycles or any other fishery ) is "all well" now.....not even Gail Shea !! Most of us know our salmon is on decline in general but in this thread thats a bit off topic.....especially odd after all your positive posts incouraging others to get out there and get some socs . If you want to fight for wild salmon there is amuch you can do out there to help. Lighten up a tad .......perhaps you just having a bad day...

Sorry, its just that I've heard all over the news how there are 25 million now and the gillnetters are out today and D.F.O is waving a flag saying its all o.k. and its not.

You are right though, I do need to lighten up. I'm done with sox for myself so this Friday I'm taking a couple of dad's and their 9 year old sons. They've never fished so should be fun.;)

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Sorry, its just that I've heard all over the news how there are 25 million now and the gillnetters are out today and D.F.O is waving a flag saying its all o.k. and its not.
You are right..... After all this the dino's might learn something if they used the Cohen inquiry to look into the success of this year and the coriltation of that with last years return. I have a feeling this one is a bunch of last years fish.
I too do not want to see DFO/FOC wave any flag saying they did something cause they havent.

My .25 :D

Ok understand your frustration. Maybe I can help relieve it....
To clarify...DFO is only saying this soc cycle this summer is well. This cycle of Adams run IS DOING WELL. It is best in 97 years. Celebrate it. However we should not take for granted....true. Also true that other cycles have problems .
Re commercial fishery on these late summers....why do you say its not ok [for gills to have a short crack at them] ....especially this year !!! If Dr. Carl Walters states that DFO should allow more Sockeye to be caught this summer, I trust him. If he says the spawning grounds could have overcrowding and unecessary die off before spawn...I beleive him. He is one of the most knowlegable scientists I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Years ago, perhaps before you began fishing socs the Sokeye were known as a commercial fish. Coho and chinook were prioritized as sport fish. Many of my collegues have worked very hard over the years to get DFO to recognize the sporties importance in this soc fishery and to include us as a recognized sector when it comes to openings for socs. The trollers and gillnettters have a right to fish especially in a year like this- goodness they have waited long for this. Years ago they had higher priority than sporties so to say now they shouldn't be fishing them ......well you know where I am going with that.

WOW some are sensitive on here Sorry didnt mean anything bad about my comment but I know some of you get what I mean by me saying that comment. sometimes sox fishing is very easy sometimes hard but lets not forget one important thing!!!!!fishing is for FUN be it sitting on a dock catching bullheads or perch or on a boat fishing any salmon we have.

Have fun and go get salmon for your winter months and stock up while you can this is the time so enjoy it.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Wolf, I know I sorta paraphrased your comments but it wasn't meant as pointing any fingers back at you.

Maybe I was a little 90's kinda guy last night but it just seemed the last couple of days some were trying to rain on our parade over here.

Anyhoo, back to topic. Gonna try and get some newbs out this weekend after I do the "take the wife and grand-children to the PNE" thang.[8D]

I don't care whether you call it sport or harvesting, it's fun. I had my 6 and 10 year old out yesterday. They reeled in all the fish and had a blast.:D The laughs and smiles on their faces were amazing.[8D] Made my day!:D

IMHO
If you can get 6 and 10 year olds enjoying these fish, if your adrenaline level bumps up when they hit, if you enjoy playing them - I would call it sport. The meat is the terrific bonus:D

Too much water, too little time

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

Ok understand your frustration. Maybe I can help relieve it....
To clarify...DFO is only saying this soc cycle this summer is well. This cycle of Adams run IS DOING WELL. It is best in 97 years. Celebrate it. However we should not take for granted....true. Also true that other cycles have problems .
Re commercial fishery on these late summers....why do you say its not ok [for gills to have a short crack at them] ....especially this year !!! If Dr. Carl Walters states that DFO should allow more Sockeye to be caught this summer, I trust him. If he says the spawning grounds could have overcrowding and unecessary die off before spawn...I beleive him. He is one of the most knowlegable scientists I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Years ago, perhaps before you began fishing socs the Sokeye were known as a commercial fish. Coho and chinook were prioritized as sport fish. Many of my collegues have worked very hard over the years to get DFO to recognize the sporties importance in this soc fishery and to include us as a recognized sector when it comes to openings for socs. The trollers and gillnettters have a right to fish especially in a year like this- goodness they have waited long for this. Years ago they had higher priority than sporties so to say now they shouldn't be fishing them ......well you know where I am going with that.

Hey Peahead, Nothing against the commercial guys.They should have a crack at the fish as well. I was a bit out of sorts because I do not believe this is the biggest run this century.I'm worried this type of hype will hurt the fight by groups trying to save salmon here.Hopefully in 4 years we will have this fishery again.

quote:Originally posted by Mi Chica

IMHO
If you can get 6 and 10 year olds enjoying these fish, if your adrenaline level bumps up when they hit, if you enjoy playing them - I would call it sport. The meat is the terrific bonus:D

Too much water, too little time

Amen! x2 (and x3 ) Couldn't have set it better if I tried....

quote:Originally posted by cohochinook

I don't care whether you call it sport or harvesting, it's fun. I had my 6 and 10 year old out yesterday. They reeled in all the fish and had a blast.:D The laughs and smiles on their faces were amazing.[8D] Made my day!:D
Excellent !! wow ....thats awesome !!!! Gotta just love taking the kids out for this fishery.... Should have seen my 5 year old daughter....her whole body was shaking while holding the rod in her hands with a wild soc going crazy on the other end !! .....the giggle that squeeked out of her will be remembered for ever ...too bad I was too busy to videotape that !!

To me anyone out there getting their gear down is a great fisherman. You learn as you go. With forums like this we all are better fishermen. These sock-eye allow all of us to practice and learn. I don't care how many hours we put on the water we are always learning something. I enjoy seeing so many people have success, the cheering and laughing when a boat hooks up on double header, it's awesome. If this type of fishing get more people hooked on fishing the better.[8D]
Just my 2 cents...

On the rivr side of things , the licence sales from a sockeye season are huge in the grand scheme of things in the fact that the fresh water fisheries society takes that money and propogates more trout and steelhead for BC anglers, this however is not the case with the increased salt water licences which go to pay for MPs travel and dinners out

quote:Originally posted by cammer

On the rivr side of things , the licence sales from a sockeye season are huge in the grand scheme of things in the fact that the fresh water fisheries society takes that money and propogates more trout and steelhead for BC anglers, this however is not the case with the increased salt water licences which go to pay for MPs travel and dinners out
Is the province doing anything to help Steelhead these days? Region 2 does not even have a Steelhead Biologist any more!:(

It seems that BC is back to life when there are so many sockeyes around to be caught by all the sectors and allow river escapements as well. Great news!

wow. uh anyone been out since the commercial guys yesterday and hows the wind and conditions around the fraser mouth

quote:Originally posted by poco

wow. uh anyone been out since the commercial guys yesterday and hows the wind and conditions around the fraser mouth

We were out today starting at 8am or so till 3:30pm fishing off the South Arm. Fishing was ok. We hooked 16 and landed 7 sockeye. Tried for number 8 but lost the last 3 so pack it in for the day. Seen a few boats land fish. There were a few boats up at T10 but seem to be working they way back and forth looking for fish.

Winds were great all day. Picked up a couple of times then flattened out. We were planning on going tomorrow but there is a Strong Wind warning on so might not make it out.

Any reports from the North Arm. That huge run coming down the inside should be starting to show up anytime.

On our way in the River was boiling with fish.

Cheers, Rob

i didnt say province, the FFS does the brooding and to me this opening is great news for them who are very important to all of us. We all know BC stands for Better Close those hatcheries

Back