So I gotta measure the angle of base of the boats windshield

ab1752

Crew Member
Ok so short of having a guy come out with a faro scanner, who can tell me how to measure the curve angle of the base of our boats windshield without removing it from the boat itself?

I need to submit a sketch of the frame base as it wraps around to the center of the boat (stupid euro frame anyway) as I want to confirm if pcmw can provide me with a suitable replacement without having to tool up? Tailor-made hasn't been of any help at all...a suitable plyable rod of about 8' would work but does that even exist? Then I would need to travel it out on a larger format sheet of paper which is doable.

Suggestions? Yes a pic better than this would help but you get the idea, it's just a typical curved Taylor Made setup.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 2665_resized.jpg
    2665_resized.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 69
The angle of the base? Or the degree of bend? I'm confused.

Me too...they want the base traved around the entire curve, so they can compare the angles of their current tooling. Needs to be accurate or the new frame won't place correctly. Give me a sec to find some pics...I'm hoping to do this without having to remove the frame first..

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 36
Well, I can tell you what I would do just on the basis of my recent experience templating stuff: I'd take a bit of 1/4"x3/4" trim stock, cut it into one foot lengths, then hot glue it into the approximate shape, with minor gaps between the wood and the window over most of it.

Then I'd prop it up to stay in position at the base of the windshield, take a deck of cards and hot glue them to the wood to conform to the exact shape of the curve. You can get a really accurate replication of a curve that way.

If I'm understanding the requirement here, that's what I'd do. It's worked well for me, anyway.

Well, I can tell you what I would do just on the basis of my recent experience templating stuff: I'd take a bit of 1/4"x3/4" trim stock, cut it into one foot lengths, then hot glue it into the approximate shape, with minor gaps between the wood and the window over most of it.

Then I'd prop it up to stay in position at the base of the windshield, take a deck of cards and hot glue them to the wood to conform to the exact shape of the curve. You can get a really accurate replication of a curve that way.

If I'm understanding the requirement here, that's what I'd do. It's worked well for me, anyway.

Damn, that's next level stuff right here, folks. I saw how you templated your bulkheads and this above filled in the gaps nicely.

Thanks guys, I'm off to mcm now to give these a shot...

20210818_172038_resized.jpg

Done and what a pita this was, sure hope I don't mess this up before I drop it off at PCMW. I didn't even know these guys are local until I was on a buddy's new Yamaha jet whatever boat and sure enough the same curved windshield style as I have, made right here in town. So this will tell us if they can provide appropriate glass and I sure AF hope so, dropping it off tomorrow.

Do you just need a piece of glass or an entire new windshield and frame? Coastal Curved Glass bends a lot of the marine glass and they are local

Do you just need a piece of glass or an entire new windshield and frame? Coastal Curved Glass bends a lot of the marine glass and they are local

Glass is actually fine, this is more of a vanity project as the frame is seriously corroded. I've weighed having it refinished and the cost was highly prohibitive vs an entirely new system. I had a stainless quote from taylormade at one point that was clearly a pfo number. So fingers crossed we can make this happen with pcmw.

Back