Do you have a Sage Gear rod? SA3106? I have a weird favor to ask....

Jessec

I've been getting really into the mooching game in the salt. Yes, downriggers are more effective, but as a reformed fly angler, I want to make things as hard as possible for myself, while still retaining some remote percentage of success :)

If you have a Sage Gear SA3106, I'd like to ask a big favor from you. Would you be able to take a picture of the rod profile with a 2oz weight attached to the tip? Pretty please? :)

The SA3106 is broadly considered one of the best mooching rod blanks ever made. The problem is - they're super hard to come by. Sage was doing small batch runs, and selling them directly to a shop in Vancouver for resale - but that stash has been depleted. Sage is way backordered for their current model blanks - so, I'm guessing it'll be a long wait until they cook up another batch of these old graphite blanks - if ever!

I got bored and decided to see which current model blanks match up well with the characteristics of the SA3016. The SA is described as having a soft tip, with stiffness increasing towards the butt section. That sound right? From what I've read - the key with mooching - is to perceive the slight lift of the rod tip as the bait is descending - so a soft / sensitive tip is clutch?

I realize this is a pretty ridiculous request - but i'm dying to know what the rod profile of the SA30106 or SA4110 looks like. Would you be able to set-up a similar brace and measure how far the tip drops when you add a 2oz weight to the tip? A picture of straight and weighted will at least help me match up the parabola characteristics.

This will help me determine whether a modern soft blank like the Sage Pulse switch (graphite) is a closer match - OR, whether the ultra stiff modern blanks such as the Method or Igniter would be a better use fit.

Once I have this info - then I can select the blank and build up a modern mooching rod.

Ohhhhhhhh the weird **** we occupy our time with during this covid fiasco! :)

Oh, and sorry if my buck wild wallpaper and color palate offends anyone. I'm eclectic af and 33% crazy. It makes me happy...

IMG_0118.jpeg
IMG_0119.jpeg
IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0120 2.jpeg

I've been getting really into the mooching game in the salt. Yes, downriggers are more effective, but as a reformed fly angler, I want to make things as hard as possible for myself, while still retaining some remote percentage of success :)

If you have a Sage Gear SA3106, I'd like to ask a big favor from you. Would you be able to take a picture of the rod profile with a 2oz weight attached to the tip? Pretty please? :)

The SA3106 is broadly considered one of the best mooching rod blanks ever made. The problem is - they're super hard to come by. Sage was doing small batch runs, and selling them directly to a shop in Vancouver for resale - but that stash has been depleted. Sage is way backordered for their current model blanks - so, I'm guessing it'll be a long wait until they cook up another batch of these old graphite blanks - if ever!

I got bored and decided to see which current model blanks match up well with the characteristics of the SA3016. The SA is described as having a soft tip, with stiffness increasing towards the butt section. That sound right? From what I've read - the key with mooching - is to perceive the slight lift of the rod tip as the bait is descending - so a soft / sensitive tip is clutch?

I realize this is a pretty ridiculous request - but i'm dying to know what the rod profile of the SA30106 or SA4110 looks like. Would you be able to set-up a similar brace and measure how far the tip drops when you add a 2oz weight to the tip? A picture of straight and weighted will at least help me match up the parabola characteristics.

This will help me determine whether a modern soft blank like the Sage Pulse switch (graphite) is a closer match - OR, whether the ultra stiff modern blanks such as the Method or Igniter would be a better use fit.

Once I have this info - then I can select the blank and build up a modern mooching rod.

Ohhhhhhhh the weird **** we occupy our time with during this covid fiasco! :)

Oh, and sorry if my buck wild wallpaper and color palate offends anyone. I'm eclectic af and 33% crazy. It makes me happy...

View attachment 74120
View attachment 74121
View attachment 74122

View attachment 74123
thats some serious wallpaper.. lol

i use those blanks alot for mooching and can get some pics , the 3106 is a great rod and fishes up to a 6 oz lead nicely. but if you fish more current or deeper and need more lead , it super hard to beat the 4110, fishes 8 and 10 oz great. there is also a 3113 which is in between

i use those blanks alot for mooching and can get some pics , the 3106 is a great rod and fishes up to a 6 oz lead nicely. but if you fish more current or deeper and need more lead , it super hard to beat the 4110, fishes 8 and 10 oz great. there is also a 3113 which is in between
That would be super appreciated!

I’ve been debating between the 3106 and 4110 for a long while. But, I primarily mooch for coho, considering our season gets shorter and shorter for kings around here. Still, I’m sure I’ll be cursing the decision when a halibut blows up the 3power someday! Oh well, it’s a good way to go out.

Also - should mention - my use case is fishing live or cut plug herring through the water column. Trying to make things as hard on myself as possible and resist the downrigger when the fishing is good enough for hand mooching.

Also - should mention - my use case is fishing live or cut plug herring through the water column. Trying to make things as hard on myself as possible and resist the downrigger when the fishing is good enough for hand mooching.
I own a 3106lb, 3113lb and 4110 gear rod.
I used to do a lot of mooching with live herring in the Pender harbour area in the late 60's and early 70's.
I think a Sage 2106lb rod would be a great choice if you are using 1.5 to 2 oz. weights

I own a 3106lb, 3113lb and 4110 gear rod.
I used to do a lot of mooching with live herring in the Pender harbour area in the late 60's and early 70's.
I think a Sage 2106lb rod would be a great choice if you are using 1.5 to 2 oz. weights
Wish I could get my hands on one.

They do come up from time to time obviously. But they are going for quite a premium.

That’s why I’m running through these silly experiments. I’m trying to figure out what modern blank has the most similar deflection curve to the 3106 etc. So far, I think the fast action blanks like the Method and Igniter are the closest bet.

Unfortunately I can’t get my hands on a 3106 or 4110 for the same of comparison - hence this thread.

if you get bored and want to hang a 2oz weight off your 3106 - I’d happily venmo ya some beer cash for your trouble! :)

That would be super appreciated!

I’ve been debating between the 3106 and 4110 for a long while. But, I primarily mooch for coho, considering our season gets shorter and shorter for kings around here. Still, I’m sure I’ll be cursing the decision when a halibut blows up the 3power someday! Oh well, it’s a good way to go out.
I have been fishing a pair of 3113s for many many years now and have landed multiple halis up to 132 cm even a few springs over 50 lbs. The rods handled it okay but felt a little light. I also have a 4120 but found too heavy for coho and smaller springs. Use that occasionally when fishing deep offshore but not fun for smaller fish.

So I do have a 3106 (actually B3106GSH printed on the rod) that my dad had built for me maybe 25 years ago. I don't know much about these rods, so I couldn't tell you if there are different 3106's or if their performance has changed over the years. If you want me to run your tests just give me your specifics.

well if you get chance to come through Gibsons i'll let you test out my moochers ideal for coho made from yellow glass blanks but there one piece ......lol

you ask for weird, you get weird.

As you can see, mine is a CT 3106 so not the exact SA 3106 you were looking for but gotta think they are essentially the same rod, right? Anyways, thanks for the 15 minute break in my day :) hope it helps.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 70

As you can see, mine is a CT 3106 so not the exact SA 3106 you were looking for but gotta think they are essentially the same rod, right? Anyways, thanks for the 15 minute break in my day :) hope it helps.

You give me faith in the world. Thanks for taking the time to set that up! I had a buddy also get one of the last 3016sa's from Wasatch Rod Builders out of Utah. It took some coaxing, but I got him to line up the rod on the original paper diagram I created. He must have been drunk or had his 4yo trace it out, but you get the idea. The 3106 is a beanpole of a rod!

IMG_9236.jpeg

I was surprised to see that it had less deflection than a 9119 Sage Method - referred to as the ChromeBar for its extremely fast action and ability to huck t-22 with a cut plug cornish game hen.

You can see the Lamiglas LX106HC is noticeably the stoutest. I'm going to keep that one in the quiver for motor trolling and mooching with weights >5oz.

The closest match to the sage gear 3 (3106sa) is the Shimano Convergence CVC M106 M2B 12-20lb rated rod. I've used this rod for a while, it's a great budget buy at around ~$160. Interestingly enough, I find the Shimano to be a bit too stout for light herring mooching.

IMG_9234.jpeg

It was surprising to me, to see that the Sage 3 powers are basically a 10wt fly rod equivalent, as indicated by the Vapen 1090 - which is a fast action Redington rod I use for lingcod fly fishing.

The hunt for the perfect coho mooching rod continues. I'd like to find something a bit softer that allows lightweight (1 1/4 - 2oz) sensitivity. I'm obviously waaaaaaaay over thinking this whole thing. But, f it - this quarantine thing has hit me kinda hard.... it was either this or heading down the path of manufacturing methamphetamines for fun and profit in the garage. Trying to stay out of the slammer for the kids. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9233.jpeg
    IMG_9233.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 28

Nice Hardwood floor ! what era?:)

You give me faith in the world. Thanks for taking the time to set that up! I had a buddy also get one of the last 3016sa's from Wasatch Rod Builders out of Utah. It took some coaxing, but I got him to line up the rod on the original paper diagram I created. He must have been drunk or had his 4yo trace it out, but you get the idea. The 3106 is a beanpole of a rod!

View attachment 75332

I was surprised to see that it had less deflection than a 9119 Sage Method - referred to as the ChromeBar for its extremely fast action and ability to huck t-22 with a cut plug cornish game hen.

You can see the Lamiglas LX106HC is noticeably the stoutest. I'm going to keep that one in the quiver for motor trolling and mooching with weights >5oz.

The closest match to the sage gear 3 (3106sa) is the Shimano Convergence CVC M106 M2B 12-20lb rated rod. I've used this rod for a while, it's a great budget buy at around ~$160. Interestingly enough, I find the Shimano to be a bit too stout for light herring mooching.

View attachment 75333

It was surprising to me, to see that the Sage 3 powers are basically a 10wt fly rod equivalent, as indicated by the Vapen 1090 - which is a fast action Redington rod I use for lingcod fly fishing.

The hunt for the perfect coho mooching rod continues. I'd like to find something a bit softer that allows lightweight (1 1/4 - 2oz) sensitivity. I'm obviously waaaaaaaay over thinking this whole thing. But, f it - this quarantine thing has hit me kinda hard.... it was either this or heading down the path of manufacturing methamphetamines for fun and profit in the garage. Trying to stay out of the slammer for the kids. ;)
I still think the Sage 2106lb would be the perfect Coho mooching rod.
either that or build a rod using a 10' 8 wt Sage fly rod blank, preferably one with a medium action.

I still think the Sage 2106lb would be the perfect Coho mooching rod.
either that or build a rod using a 10' 8 wt Sage fly rod blank, preferably one with a medium action.
I’m going to take your suggestion and keep my eyes peeled for a 2106. Keep an eye out for me! :)

I was keen on building one with their Pulse Switch rod blank. It would have been 116 - but was their graphite on the line up. I’m still searching for one as I love that blank color. I might just recork the bottom section.

I’m going to take your suggestion and keep my eyes peeled for a 2106. Keep an eye out for me! :)

I was keen on building one with their Pulse Switch rod blank. It would have been 116 - but was their graphite on the line up. I’m still searching for one as I love that blank color. I might just recork the bottom section.
If you're looking for Sage mooching blanks you may have better luck on the freshwater forums as they are used a lot for salmon and Steelhead river fishing. Such as the 2106, 3106, 3113, 4110, 4120 etc Fishing With Rod has a buy and sell section and I've picked up quite a few of the older brown Sage blanks from there over the years.

I've used the brown blank 3106's and 3113's for mooching. My next ones will be some custom 3113's and 4110's tied up to accommodate my 1930 Longstone's for mooching. The original reel seats are pretty long and need custom fitting. The older I get, seems like I want to do more and more mooching lol. I don't know why that is but as a kid growing up on the salt water, mooching was what we mostly did and I miss it a lot. Last year I bought a live tank for bait and will be setting it up with air supply etc for this season. Something special in my opinion about fishing this way. Live squid on a light rod, with a very small weight can't be beat!! Few years ago I was using my Steelhead fly rods/reels packed with mono, split shot, live squid, and strike indicators, on a slack tide in a bay filled with live squid, smashing big springs on the light gear. Gotta do more of this more often.

Last edited:
If you're looking for Sage mooching blanks you may have better luck on the freshwater forums as they are used a lot for salmon and Steelhead river fishing. Such as the 2106, 3106, 3113, 4110, 4120 etc Fishing With Rod has a buy and sell section and I've picked up quite a few of the older brown Sage blanks from there over the years.

I've used the brown blank 3106's and 3113's for mooching. My next ones will be some custom 3113's and 4110's tied up to accommodate my 1930 Longstone's for mooching. The original real seats are pretty long and need custom fitting. The older I get, seems like I want to do more and more mooching lol. I don't know why that is but as a kid growing up on the salt water, mooching was what we mostly did and I miss it a lot. Last year I bought a live tank for bait and will be setting it up with air supply etc for this season. Something special in my opinion about fishing this way. Live squid on a light rod, with a very small weight can't be beat!! Few years ago I was using my Steelhead fly rods/reels packed with mono, split shot, live squid, and strike indicators, on a slack tide in a bay filled with live squid, smashing big springs on the light gear. Gotta do more of this more often.
I tried registering for tbr fishingwithrod site but it’s telling me I am incorrect for this dang registration question.

What's the largest Pacific salmon species?

I tried Chinook, King, Spring, Springer, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha - then gave up.

apparently I’ve been wasting my life chasing chinook - as there’s a much larger salmon out there I didn’t know about :)

couldn’t find any administrator contact info. Ah, such is life!

Back