SFBC Forum Members Derby 2014

Caught in Campbell River...... That's a great fish

Sure hope it is not a contender at the end of this derby though...... As the decision was made not to have it verified

That would have been a tough decision....

Caught it Sunday evening...would have stopped at a tackle shop or something on the way home if one was open. It was pretty nice out there and we had just started fishing...Hard to leave the fishing grounds after reeling that in! Would there have been peeps at Discovery Marina still...or anywhere else in/near Campbell or Comox on a Sunday evening to verify it?

that's a beauty of a Tyee, tough to leave fishin to verify your fish , but It could have sat on ice over night and been verified the next day... pretty big prizes were shootin for here..

that's a beauty of a Tyee, tough to leave fishin to verify your fish , but It could have sat on ice over night and been verified the next day... pretty big prizes were shootin for here..

Wrong...... You may want to check the rules :)

• Possible derby winners (Large Fish) will have to verified and weighed in at a lodge, marina, fishing store or another derby the same day as being caught and be documented by the lodge, marina, store or derby hosts in writing as well as photos. It will be up to entrant to obtain verification.

I would have pulled up to the Oak Bay Marine Groups Painter Lodge dock. Another good one would have been Tyee Marine in CR they are open late and are running a free derby. Or maybe Kitty Coleman Campground, Bates Beach.

Many options out there. Call me if you have that problem again..... :)

Thanks FA. Hopefully I won't be kicking myself in a$$ in Sept. I thought Tyee Marine closed at 6 tho...it's later?

Has any thought been given to wear us mainlanders can weigh in at? Not to many options there for us guys who trailer to public launches with no scales or cleaning stations for that matter

Has any thought been given to wear us mainlanders can weigh in at? Not to many options there for us guys who trailer to public launches with no scales or cleaning stations for that matter
you can weigh in at mosquito creek gas dock, they have agreed to it, theres not much to do to confirm a large fish

you can weigh in at mosquito creek gas dock, they have agreed to it, theres not much to do to confirm a large fish

Good on you for getting them setup. What hours are they open? Anybody in at Vancouver Marina could see if they can come on board too?

Last edited by a moderator:
213 entry's and only about 10% of you have actually entered a fish..... With only a month and a half left to go in this derby you may want to think about entering some fish :)

I am going to post my three entries so far for the in hopes that it will inspire more to do the same. I was looking forward to seeing other derby entries as they were entered.
I am not typically one who catches fish that would be in the running for the top prize and so far that has held true so I will be hoping for a hidden weight prize. (So far)
I had planned to enter my first fish kept this season and I was going to enter my biggest from our annual father son trip to Ucluelet. I had two fish that were very close in Ucluelet so I entered them both.

The two in Ucluelet were between 18 and 21 lbs. I caught one of them jigging which was really fun. The look on my face is hurry up and take the pic so I can stop holding these up. The first fish of the season was between 8 and 9 lbs. caught at the trap shack.
sfbc 1st fish.jpg2 UkeeFish.jpg

Really....I just got back from the west coast trail. 8 or so days away from the computer thinking that someone would have posted their entries here and nothing? ??

Maybe you should have been fishing instead of hiking and we could be reading something........:p

I did try as I was hiking, just didn't get any salmon. lots of other stuff though. With two rods and the tackle I packed over 6 lbs of gear.

At this time SFBC and myself would like to congratulate our 5 winners of the 2014 SFBC Fishing Derby. We would also like to thank all of our wonderful sponsors that have donated some excellent prizes, as well as great big thank you to all those that participated and helped out along the way.

With Verified Catches

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Place 39.5lb Chinook Wade McMeeken
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Place 34.25lb Chinook Derek Honigman
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Place 29.5lb Chinook Bill Korossis

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Place Child 0-8 years of age with a 3.5lb Coho Avery Lewis 4 years of age
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Place Child 9-12 years of age with a 23.25lb Chinook Jessica Barnes 11 years of age

On September 27 2014, 12 noon in Nanaimo at Bowen Park these folks will be recognized for their catches at the awards wrap up/BBQ.

Please come out and join us, everyone is welcome. There will be a by donation BBQ, 50/50 draw and raffle with all proceeds going to the 2014 SFBC Derby recipient, Little River Enhancement Society.

There will be many prizes and donated items given to the participants of the 2014 SFBC Derby. Bring your friends, family and neighbors and enjoy an afternoon in the park with other SFBC members while we all congratulate the winners and other participants that made this derby such a success.

Nice fish!
Congrats to the winners.

I'll be at the BBQ with my kids and checking out Cabellas after.

Hoping to reel in something nice from that prize table.

Tips

Congrats to all the winners and kudos to Fish Assassin for stepping up and organizing this.

Agree on both counts!! Congrats to those of you who found a big enough fish to win!!!

Back