Salt ice

best to bring it yourself unless you want to pay 60 to 70 per cooler. I'm still sore from bending over for that last year.

best to bring it yourself unless you want to pay 60 to 70 per cooler. I'm still sore from bending over for that last year.

What an outrage!!!! Commercial boats get it for $70/ton in Tofino. I bet it takes 10 or 15 coolers to make a ton!!! 25$ per large cooler in tofino. The challenge is making the arrangement with the fish plant to get it.

Ive heard good things about getting ice in ukee too. Lets call it getting ice within reason.

5 bucks for a 5 gallon bucket worth in Pr Rupert, right at the boat launch... much more economical and reasonably priced....

McKay Bay also has salt ice. Yes it is pricey. However these people bring it from Port Alberni by the bag. They do this to accommodate those people that want it. Sometimes price is secondary.

Breakers sells Sea Ice in Port Alberni for 12 bucks a bag . I did pay 50 for a cooler full at Mills which was a shock but really what are you going to do? If saving money on recreational fun was my focus I would be playing video games not fishing.

The cost of ice and where you buy it is similar to the cost of a Coca Cola....

You're in the mall with the wife and kids, you'll grumble at a $ 2.00 glass OF Coke (watered down with bubbly water....)

You're on your hands and knees in the desert and the sun is straight overhead --- $ 10.00 for a Coke? .... no problem!

I paid some stupid high price for ice cubes in RIvers Inlet last summer-- they melted within a few hours---they were more water then ice.

I would have paid double for salt ice without a whimper if it had been available---not having salt ice cut my trip short---my Kingdom and all my horses for a cooler of salt ice when I'm in the middle of nowhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back