Salmon in Victoria lately?

oh man, its tough reading this as i am in Anaheim right now, and for another week. I see the weather is gonna be good there tommorow, perfect fishing weather. Oh well, this'll score bigtime brownie point with the wife and then i should be good to go all winter.

saturday 10 - 2 off the waterfront... no dice. the skunk charter lives on.

the only boat we talked to had 1.

alot of boats seemed to be fishing clover point to trial island...

We dined on some fresh Tofu of the Sea and crabs from the trip with Mr. Craven yesterday -- the kids (and their parents) loved the crab!!!

Interested in hearing whether anyone has ventured out south of constance into the deep water to see if there are any Coho out there?

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

No salmon again for me , 2 halibut on, 1 in the boat.
just chickens.

Hey all,
New to the forum, some great information here. Just thought I would join the effort in targeting these fish. Fished monday, Waterfront to Trial. Didnt see much, maybe a few by clover on the sounder but no bites. One possible coho, just west of Trial jumped strait out of the water 50 metres from the boat. Just wondering if you think im using/doing the wrong things out there to decrease my probabilities. Using, green and silver flasher, purple haze hoochie, reading this thread, it seems im not deep enough (fishing 60-90 feet) in 50m or so deep water in the front. Targeting salmon (any kind) and trying to learn the ropes. I launch mostly cattle, so im joining all the oak bay fishermen, where apparently fishing is slow...

Welcome C.D.

From now till the end of March the target salmon are winter springs.
they are usually in the 4- 12lb size, with the odd bigger one up to 20lbs.
Sounds like you are using the right gear, but i'll suggest "glow"
flasher's and lures.
If you're fishing in 150' of water, try running 160' of wire.
My experience with these fish is they are usually caught deep.

Went to Church, but we were NOT blessed! Fog came in about !0:30,so we went back to Pedder, and then albert head. No luck! Poor Crabbing too, just females! Wound up at the Monkey Tree, where life improved.

Got out yesterday morning for about 2 hours from Trial to Clover Point. Picked up the sorriest excuse for a Spring I've ever caught. It felt like a small rockfish and I figured thats what it was until it got to the boat -- but it did make a nice meal. It was a nice treat to get out yesterday as the wind was supposed to be wicked all day so a morning fish was pleasant.[:X]

Just got home from making a withdrawl at C.Bank. First 100 pounder for me. Can't wait for my partner to get home and see it. He'll flip out! Caught it with a big makeral.

Boy what a shame, just started cleaning the fish and noticed it was full of some kind of worms! I know not to eat it now but can someone tell me if it would make good fertilizer for my garden? have to make use of it somehow. so much for keeping such a monster of a halibut. next time i'll throw any over a 100 pounds back in the sea. :(

Too bad - yeah the big guys are often wormy.

If you bury it fairly deep (>2ft) it will rot and can be used as compost later. OR, if you have one of those black composters, cut it up and put it in there -- but bury it deep. In the composter it will stink for about a week but makes great fertilizer.

Is the meat full or worms or is that just around the gut/belly? Check the length of your fillets because often the worms are just in the fatty parts.

Please do not waste that halibut. All fish have worms. I fished halibut commercially for years and I have never heard of a fish that was not ok to eat. There are often worms around the belly (nematodes) but they are harmless when cooked.

The worst case scenario if you are squeemish is too cut away the muscle around the belly. The fillets may have the odd worm, which can be removed, but will still provide excellent table fare.

Burying that halibut in the garden would be a disgusting and wasteful act.

quote:Originally posted by Roadrunner

Please do not waste that halibut. All fish have worms. I fished halibut commercially for years and I have never heard of a fish that was not ok to eat. There are often worms around the belly (nematodes) but they are harmless when cooked.

The worst case scenario if you are squeemish is too cut away the muscle around the belly. The fillets may have the odd worm, which can be removed, but will still provide excellent table fare.

Too late,which makes me a discusting,wastefull gardener.
Too bad I didn't wait the 10 hours to read your post.

Hey r.s. !
I finally caught one! Clover Point last night 6pm, ~100ft, Green/chrome flasher, purple haze. 10 lb Chinook!

Exact same set-up as before but just deeper. Stomach was full of 3" herring, Question is this. Like in flyfishing you match the hatch, do we not change over to somthing that looks like a 3" herring, or does a purple sparkly squid seem like candy when eating the same boring food?

Thanks for all your help guys, it took 2 boats and 2 summers, to finally hook into a chinook. Good luck out there!

CD

quote:Originally posted by flash

quote:Originally posted by Roadrunner

Too late,which makes me a discusting,wastefull gardener.
Too bad I didn't wait the 10 hours to read your post.

[V][V][V][V][V] DUMB!!!!!

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by crazydaisy

Hey r.s. !
I finally caught one! Clover Point last night 6pm, ~100ft, Green/chrome flasher, purple haze. 10 lb Chinook!

Exact same set-up as before but just deeper. Stomach was full of 3" herring, Question is this. Like in flyfishing you match the hatch, do we not change over to somthing that looks like a 3" herring, or does a purple sparkly squid seem like candy when eating the same boring food?

Thanks for all your help guys, it took 2 boats and 2 summers, to finally hook into a chinook. Good luck out there!

CD

Good for you C.D.
last spring i caught had both 3" herring and squid in it's gut.
i think you were matching the hatch !

Lot's of boats fishing the waterfront this morning....
could be the beautiful weather,
anybody have any success on winter springs ?

No! We were skunked at Clover Pt.and so we went to McCauley Pt.where we were also skunked except for a nice Ling Cod,that I had to return!

lots of good fish off clover pt fishing rite on bottom spoons ,5 to 12 lbs bte on from 7am thru 11 am then no more,bait balls and fish at showing at all depths.

The fish are there but you have to be on the bottom 140ft of water 170ft of cable out.

Back