Safety gear requirements

top fuel

I have a 16 ft boat with 50 Hp. Just wondering what safety equipment am I required to have on board. Do I need proof of ownership etc thanks.

I have a 16 ft boat with 50 Hp. Just wondering what safety equipment am I required to have on board. Do I need proof of ownership etc thanks.
From the safe boating guide in the link from agentaqua

• Sail and Power
Boats up to 6 m (19’8”)

1. One (1) lifejacket or PFD for
each person on board
2. One (1) reboarding device
(See Note 1)
3. One (1) buoyant heaving line
at least 15 m (49’3”) long
If boat is equipped with
a motor
4. One (1) watertight flashlight
OR
Three (3) flares of Type A, B,
C or D, only one (1) can be
Type D.
(See Note 2)
5. One (1) manual propelling
device
OR
One (1) anchor and at least
15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or
chain in any combination
6. One (1) bailer or manual
bilge pump
(See Note 3)
7. One (1) sound-signalling
device or appliance
8. Navigation lights
(See Note 4)
9. One (1) magnetic compass
(See Note 5)
10. One (1) radar
reflector
(See Note 6)
11. One (1) 5BC fire extinguisher
if equipped with an inboard
engine, a fixed fuel tank
of any size, or a fuelburning
cooking, heating or
refrigerating appliance

Yes you need proof of ownership and registration papers and a hull #, just for starters.

actually proof of ownership is required only if leaving the country, what if you are borrowing a boat how could you prove it to be yours As well only comercial vessels need be registered, private vessels need to be licensed and yes you do need the hull number.

For sure tinbaot just wanted to clarify for those that aren’t aware there is a difference.

You do have to have a copy of the vessels registration an board. They will be enforcing that with fines this year according to the guys that checked me out last year

I believe they also ask for a copy of your insurance along with the regs. I keep a 3 ringed binder with plastic sleeves for my registration, fishing licenses, most recent area regs, working pen and insurance papers. I pull it out of the cuddy before I fire the blower as routine. When I've been approached I smply hand the binder over.

Yeah that's totally bs.
If you get busted for not having insurance, let me know immediately.
Vehicles on public roads, ok. NFW on the water.

Most marinas require insurance, but that is very different from government regulations.

Sorry, I should clarify, it was suggested by our insurance broker to keep a copy of the policy on board with the general documentation, nothing around regulations. Then it is available to present it to the Man should they come calling as supporting documentation of ownership.

Do fire extinguishers need to be inspected annually and have a tag on them? Or is that strictly a residential thing?
When you read the regulations I see no mention of an annual inspection or tag for an extinguisher.

Do fire extinguishers need to be inspected annually and have a tag on them? Or is that strictly a residential thing?
When you read the regulations I see no mention of an annual inspection or tag for an extinguisher.

Same as flares, they need to be within their dates. Fire Extinguishers should have a tag or sticker with dates marked on it.

Back