Windlass questions..

Thanks everyone. I'm down in vancouver for the weekend and have found a couple different options to buy slightly used...

Which would be better?

15 feet of chain and 250 feet or rope
Vs
100 feet of chain and 170 feet of rope
I'm inexperienced with this but from what I know I don't think 15' of chain isn't enough for any length of boat. The more chain you put on the bottom the better as it is part of the holding force and as it comes up off the bottom it dampens things out.

100’ and 170’ combo. cut 40-50’ of the chain off and re sell it if it’s too heavy in your bow locker. 50-60’ of chain and 170’ of rode will work just fine for your setup. Don’t forget to attach the bitter end in your locker 😊

Last edited:
This thread inspired me to look up what chain and rode length we have on the boat . I am going to make a label with these lengths and put it on the dash

We ordered what was recommended by the manufacturer 25 feet of 8MM chain and 425 feet of 8mm line with their 8KG Anchor

Robert will only install the Lone Star Anchors. We ordered it and then delivered it up to him ( saving shipping costs) and we were going up on a regular basis

My email from LoneStar

For your boat I recommend the same setup each time and the same setup my Alaskan dealers install on boats similar to yours. I recommend the GX3 winch, wide hawse pipe if you will be mounting below deck, CX 415 bowsprit and MMX3 anchor. For rope it’s all about scope needed where you anchor. If you don’t anchor over 150’ I recommend the double braid nylon 8mm x 130m ( 425ft ) plus 25 ft of 5/16” (8mm) chain and chain guard. If anchoring deeper we have a 650’ and 1000’ synthetic rope option and I recommend the same chain. Anchor swivels are optional but always recommended, smaller size would work great!

With our full setup there will never be a need to go to the bow of the boat, never tie off, just simply hit the switch! The MMX anchor holds incredibly well in most all bottoms and can handle your specified needs perfectly. The anchor seats perfectly in our bow sprit so you will never have to fasten it.

There will be no sales tax or shipping costs to WA. I’ve attached a copy of the installation paperwork which comes with a wiring diagram. All wire looms are custom made to order so we just need the measurements

100’ and 170’ combo. cut 40-50’ of the chain off and re sell it if it’s too heavy in your bow locker. 50-60’ of chain and 170’ of rode will work just fine for your setup. Don’t forget to attach the bitter end in your locker 😊

^^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^^^^^

36- 50 feet of chain is plenty —- that boat will be bow- heavy with 100 feet of chain… And stick with a Rocna

I had a 24 ft Skagit Orca a number of years ago and did 30 day boat camping trips….I used 36 feet of chain and a Rocna 6 (13 lbs) which worked out quite well. I was in some big blows, totally exposed, on numerous occasions and that Rocna never let me down

I’m in a Seasport 28 footer now and moved up to the Rocna 10 but I still have the Rocna 6 as my back up anchor and would still feel safe using it despite the bigger boat

Good luck

also READ the users guide.
there's some excellent advise above, and some incorrect comments. but the users guide will show you that.

im going to weigh in here too. there's a lot of variables. what works for some won't be acceptable for others. if your day anchoring then short chain and light anchors will "never let you down". If your sleeping overnight then you should be using more than just adequate gear. because one night it will blow up hard from a bad direction and then you will be let down.
if you have a good sized anchor locker then 100ft of chain /170ft of rope will allow you to anchor in (38-54-90ft) of water (7:1/5:1/3:1)- storm/night/day/s scope). you will like the way "all chain" feeds in the gypsey when your 33ft deep or less during the day.

Last edited:
Skagit Orcas are squirrely enough without sticking the equivalent weight of a full grown adult on the bow (which is what you’d be doing with 100 feet of chain)

A chain length one and one half the length of the boat with a good quality anchor is more then sufficient…. If the OP wants to do over-kill, then he should consider a Rocna 10 instead of a Rocna 6 though the Rocna sizing sheet indicates the Rocna 6 is appropriate for the length and weight of a 24 Orca… I ran that set up for 5 seasons on a 3:1 scope… it if blew, I’d bump it up to 5:1

In a lot of anchorages in BC a 7:1 will put you on the rocks on a tide change or you’ll play bumper boats with your neighbors

The more chain the better, it doesn’t chafe and the intent is to use it's weight to give the rode catenary as opposed to a direct pull that would occur with rope. The anchor works best when the pull is horizontal to the sea floor then arcs up. I also have the Lewmar 1000, you won't regret it. If weight forward is an issue you can shift some weight aft with fuel or gear, I find I can never get enough weight forward. Familiarize yourself with the clutch/brake on that unit so you can free fall the anchor in an emergency. I'm running 100ft 8mm chain and 300ft of 5/8 nylon 3 strand. The nylon 3 strand works best and coils nicely in the locker. As someone else said, secure the bitter end.

Lots of good experiences, start with the full load of chain and remove some if you find the need to.

Rocna makes a great reliable anchor and would be on the top of my list but there are other good options if you’re shopping used. Delta,mantus,Manson supreme would all be good if sized properly. I would stay away from a danforth style or Bruce personally but they are widely used and have their place.

In a strong wind I have used a cannonball to help keep the anchor set put it about 20’ up the chain not advisable in a rocky bottom but it’s an option if you find yourself in a ****** situation.

here's a really good calculator that you can play with to show you how your ground tackle will act with different variables. you can add weights, change chain length etc.... also give you the angle of the rode at the anchor.
It gives you an idea of what your gear is capable of at max depth and wind

Back