Replacing original hooks on spoons

Daveroo

I did maintenance today of my gear after a couple of weekends of fishing and having some breakage and failures. One of my items to do was replace the original hooks on some spoons. This is a Gibbs Cop Car after only one fish being hooked on it. I would like to say this was due to a tyee size monster, but in reality this was caused by a free hanging 10 pound spring. Don't ask me why the fish was hanging free, it's a bit of a story. The bottom line is that the original hooks on these spoons are crap and I am going through my gear replacing them with Siwash Gammies. I also have a couple of 4" spoons from Amundson. I've never used these spoons before. Should I replace the original hooks on those too?
Gibbs Bent Hook.jpg

I haven’t had an Amundson hook bend, but I also haven’t fished them as much as a Skinny G. The Skinny G hooks are cheese grade garbage, however.

I did maintenance today of my gear after a couple of weekends of fishing and having some breakage and failures. One of my items to do was replace the original hooks on some spoons. This is a Gibbs Cop Car after only one fish being hooked on it. I would like to say this was due to a tyee size monster, but in reality this was caused by a free hanging 10 pound spring. Don't ask me why the fish was hanging free, it's a bit of a story. The bottom line is that the original hooks on these spoons are crap and I am going through my gear replacing them with Siwash Gammies. I also have a couple of 4" spoons from Amundson. I've never used these spoons before. Should I replace the original hooks on those too?
View attachment 98102
Those skinny g hooks are total garbage . I would never put one down without replacing the hook.leaned the hard way

I think the Amundson is a step up but still cheap.

I’d swap any spoon that’s not an AP or west coast tackle spoon with a gammie, owner or mustad siwash. Cheap insurance!

I think the Amundson is a step up but still cheap.

I’d swap any spoon that’s not an AP or west coast tackle spoon with a gammie, owner or mustad siwash. Cheap insurance!
Ive had a few AP spoon hooks fail. this summer I had the eye break on one and found it in the boat after washing the spoon for a couple hours, wondering why I wasnt getting hit but my dad was. a few years ago i had the point break off another one, again no hookups for awhile.

Ive had a few AP spoon hooks fail. this summer I had the eye break on one and found it in the boat after washing the spoon for a couple hours, wondering why I wasnt getting hit but my dad was. a few years ago i had the point break off another one, again no hookups for awhile.
Had the point break off one on a hog on Sunday.

I have never had a hook on a AP fail, they look to be quite nice, but I did have a issue with a split ring straighting out. I would think I was seconds from losing a nice fish and my spoon. The ring was straight with a bit of hook on each end, came detached from the spoon in the net. As far as hooks I use the Mustad open eye Siwash on all spoons except my AP's

I now only fish Mustad 3 ott hooks on all my smaller spoons. They never fail and the spoons swim perfect with the small hooks. Buy them at PNT in the 100 hook boxes. Keep the tips sharp

I strictly fish Amundson skinny g knock off spoons in Barkley Sound in June, July and into about the 3rd week of August. I have never had to swap out their hooks, I have never had one of their hooks bend. I switched to Amundson cause I was tired of having to switch all the hooks out on Gibb's skinng gs. Very happy with their 3.25 and 4.00 skinny g knock off spoons. Highly recommend them.
Just my two cents worth...

I have had a few Amundson and gibbs hooks break around the eye. Haven't had one bend yet. Usually the thin spoon gets pretzelled in the net or the paint is coming off before I have hook issues.

I replace all with 3/0 or 4/0 Mustad stainless commercial style hooks. Not a fan of rusty hooks. Unfortunately these far outlast the crappy spoons.
I have a fresh water dunk tank for all my gear which gets used lots when switching up to find what works. When I dry them out post trip, the stainless hooks are a pleasure to see amongst the rusting steel hooks.

IMG_0292.jpeg
My new No Bananas. Ironically looks like one after a Coho hit it this morning. I did change the hook Lol.

Back