Renny Halibut Fishing: Drift or Anchor?

Red Monster

For hali fishing out of Renfrew, what do most folks do: drift or anchor?

I guess I don't feel like dragging all the extra anchor gear along if don't need to.

Thanks

You'll find both. March 15-31st looking for big fish I bet most guys are on anchor.

During the peak season when the bank is hot you can just drift but your usually targeting smaller fish.

How much anchor line/chain are you guys carrying to anchor up at the bank? Most of the area outside the closure is 170'+ deep. I've only got about 250' of rode (actually all chain in my case - installed by the previous owner and I haven't changed it out). Even with 400', you'd have a scope of <3:1. In the current out there, I think you'd be hard pressed to stay in one place. Obviously, I need to learn more about the anchoring setups you guys are using for hali fishing.

Anchoring

Outside Swiftsure is Not a place to anchor!!!! On the inside line is fine as long as you talk with Tofino Traffic. Out side Chicken Ranch thats a No Go for Anchoring.

How much anchor line/chain are you guys carrying to anchor up at the bank? Most of the area outside the closure is 170'+ deep. I've only got about 250' of rode (actually all chain in my case - installed by the previous owner and I haven't changed it out). Even with 400', you'd have a scope of <3:1. In the current out there, I think you'd be hard pressed to stay in one place. Obviously, I need to learn more about the anchoring setups you guys are using for hali fishing.

By outside of the closure, I mean even on the north or east side (e.g. outside of the diamond that is the closure). It's shallower within the closure but even on the N, NE side it's around 170' deep. I'm just wondering what you need to hold bottom there.

I think hes trying to say its not safe to anchor near the shipping lanes.

-KK

I get that. So are people fishing for hali on the flats just outside of Renfrew? Maybe I'm just not understanding the territory where you find hali near Renny. Looking at the contours along the entire N side of the Strait, I don't see any obvious clues as to where one might find hali. On the other side (WA), there are some underwater peninsulas and other structure (holes) that seem to hold hali.

Ther are Hali s from Sombrio to Pachena ,the main anchoring that we do in the summer months are off Carmana Lighthouse the North east corner of the Swiftsure closure The 170 bump just 1.5 miles west of the corner and there are a dozen or more spots between there and Nit-nat and towrds Pachena,you will find all the detailed contours on a good paper chart if your GPS map is not showing you,i use 500 ft of rope with 40ft of chain with a 18lb bruce anchor ,it holds no problem on the bank,hope that helps

Okay, so I could give it a go just drifting if I want to.

Okay, so I could give it a go just drifting if I want to.
That's all I've ever done for hali fishing. However, it helps if you pick relative low tide changes and you fish during the times around slack current. During big tide changes at Swiftsure, it's hard to keep a jig or bait on the bottom.

Nope. just need to not let it stay on the bottom, always keep it a couple of feet above bottom. This does mean continual adjustment for depth as you drift around - but that's what jigging is about.

Also, I usually set up my jigs with the hooks about 1/2 down the jig. Hooks at the bottom of the jig are more easily hung up on the bottom. Most pipe jigs have the hooks about half way up the jig on a 12-16" jig. I'd also add that in my limited experience, big jigs seem to select for larger hali than fishing with bait AND the hookups one does get are rarely deep.

Not sure about anyone else, but, if I don't fish an area with frequency, I won't anchor. Just me maybe, but, being that far off shore, shipping lanes, prone to fog, I think you're asking for trouble unless you're a pro or a very experienced local fisher.

Not sure about anyone else, but, if I don't fish an area with frequency, I won't anchor. Just me maybe, but, being that far off shore, shipping lanes, prone to fog, I think you're asking for trouble unless you're a pro or a very experienced local fisher.

Exactly. I have a lot of experience in Renny for salmon fishing only. I'm wondering if anchoring would just be a lot of wasted time and effort because I don't know where to drop the hook?

Anchor in the off season and drift in the summer if they are thick. The last couple years there has not been a lot of hali on the drift so find a reef 50-200 feet and anchor up.

Definitey a lot less on the drift last summer for me but trolling was really good for hali's. Nothing huge but lots of nice fish.

No need to anchor in my opinion, unless you know exactly where you want to anchor, have the correct amount of anchor line, and use scent bags (not chumming).

With driftig you can cover more ground and if the current is ripping just back-troll. If you are worried about getting "hung-up" with the drift, either use large jigs or pipes with stinger hooks (on large jigs/pipes I like to use miracle thread and attach a piece of herring/squid/octo) or use a spreader with a round cannon-ball....

You can always backtroll while drifting like Swanny said. Bit of a hassle while jigging but easier than dropping and pulling an anchor-particularly if you are not familiar with the spot you are fishing. You can also add scent to a cannonball and drop it down for added attraction. Found one of my secret spots when I drifted off a more popular hole.

Back