Renny Halibut Fishing: Drift or Anchor?

You guys know all the tricks! :)

So some guys actually troll off the downrigger?

Depends on where you are fishing, some hogs are caught on the troll, you could get lucky, but generally speaking, Craven has some good advice. I have seen some 40-60 pounders hooked on a Hootchie and Flasher.

My very first Halibut was caught on a green hootchie and flasher, just over 50 lbs.
our biggest on salmon gear was about 65lbs
so yes, you can get the odd bigger one trolling.

180 off camper bonilla carmanah and nitinat. on anchor. Dink early season. Easy peasey and big fish.

i like to troll with a large white spoon no flasher,1.5mph 15' behind cannonball ball hittin bottom every second swell, many mediums at the edges of the banks. 50lb leader!!

So what sort of hootchie setup are we talking about for trolling hali? I do have some of those big mother hootchies for jigging that I could use?

I just use a green glow like a Green Ghost or Splatter Back behind a glow flsher. Regular size seems just fine with a slightly longer heavier leader and larger hooks. Although when there are hali's around it doesn't seem to matter much.....IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, and do you use a bottom fishing rod when on the troll?

Thanks guys, this trolling idea could be fun.

Okay, and do you use a bottom fishing rod when on the troll?

Thanks guys, this trolling idea could be fun.

nope... use the salmon rods.. bringin up a 50 can be fun..

30lb main,, 50 lb leader

I've wrestled a few fat seals on my salmon rods so I guess a chicken shouldn't be an issue. This might workout fine. I like the idea of not needing to bring a ton of extra gear. I'll just rig a few hali lures for trolling and I'm good to go.

I could try a big spoon on one side and a hootchie on the other. Would any large spoon be worth a try? I have a few extra large wonder spoons I could try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, what about trolling bait for hali? Do guy do this too?

Back