Remote camping motor rinse?

ElectricDyck

Just wondering what guys do with their outboards when camping away from a freshwater hose? I ll be able to find a creek to rinse off the gear but not the outboard....I could probably rig up a pump and filter from the creek or am I over thinking it and it'll be fine for 2 weeks?

Just wondering what guys do with their outboards when camping away from a freshwater hose? I ll be able to find a creek to rinse off the gear but not the outboard....I could probably rig up a pump and filter from the creek or am I over thinking it and it'll be fine for 2 weeks?
Yes tell your wife you have to fish every day to keep it fresh :)

If you’re actively firing up your outboard and running it, water moving through the cooling ports and flowing past the T-stats would generally keep salt deposits from forming. The problem is running the outboard then letting it sit around at the dock or in your driveway for long periods of time without flushing...do that enough times and you’ll be using the head of a screw driver to gouge out salt crystals around the T-stats....don’t ask me how I know...

Last edited:
I have run all my outboards in salt for the last 30 years and NEVER rinsed one. I give them a annual Seafoam and that's it. The key is to use them regularly and put the motor through a range of rpm when you are out.

We have a great time. Often, at the end of the season, we will run the motors in my 100 gallon stock tank. Add 10 gallons of vinegar and let ‘em run for a while.

Lots of people who tie their boats up at a dock and use them for daily transport rather than occasional recreation go for long periods without flushing them. I'd say you're infinitely more likely to damage the motor trying to get above tidewater in a remote, unfamiliar creek to flush it than by running it in salt water for a couple of weeks.

Lots of people who tie their boats up at a dock and use them for daily transport rather than occasional recreation go for long periods without flushing them. I'd say you're infinitely more likely to damage the motor trying to get above tidewater in a remote, unfamiliar creek to flush it than by running it in salt water for a couple of weeks.
Good point about moored boats (like mine). The spring/summer/fall season is no problem rinsing the outboards, but the marina shuts off the tap water as soon as freezing weather threatens.

Does anybody have suggestions for flushing in the winter 4-months, with weekly use heading out fishing/prawning?

FD

Good point about moored boats (like mine). The spring/summer/fall season is no problem rinsing the outboards, but the marina shuts off the tap water as soon as freezing weather threatens.

Does anybody have suggestions for flushing in the winter 4-months, with weekly use heading out fishing/prawning?

FD
Salt away flush kit

There is no doubt you are overthinking how to flush your motor on this 2 week trip.
Give it good flushing with Salt a Way when you get home.
Hook the hose up to warm water if you can to make it even more effective.
That makes sure the thermostat opens quicker to all parts of the motor.
I do my motors with cold water every chance I have and with Salt a Way only a couple of times a year and have never had a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no doubt you are overthinking how to flush your motor on this 2 week trip.
I do my motors with cold water every chance I have and with Salt a Way only a couple of times a year and have never had a problem.
Do you rense the salt a way after application or leave it in the

Do you rinse the salt a way out of the motor after application or leave it in?

I run the motors until the water in the applicator turns to clear and that's it.

I run it until the canister is about half way between the original blue and regular water. Let that sit in the engine for a while to work it’s magic when it’s got a pretty decent concentration sand then I flush it out until it’s fresh water.

Do you rense the salt a way after application or leave it in the

Do you rinse the salt a way out of the motor after application or leave it in?
If you follow the instructions you would leave it in as it leaves a coating on the components.

Back