Complete rebuild/teardown on outboard motors every 5 years.

zurk

How many of you here do a complete motor rebuild/teardown every 5 years ? I have a 2018 Yammy F115LB which works like new but I see the 5 year recommended service mark is coming up so it needs a head gasket replacement, VST filter replacement, water pump replacement, injector cleaning etc. Looks like its going to be $2500 ish for a dealer to do the work and 2 weeks to get it done (the have to send the injectors out to a specialty shop etc).
Just wondering how many of you do this every 5 years and if you see noticeable degradation of the parts or is it a bit overkill ? i'm going to do it anyway but was wondering if I was just wasting cash (probably). Its always had its annual service on time so no shortcuts there.

How many of you here do a complete motor rebuild/teardown every 5 years ? I have a 2018 Yammy F115LB which works like new but I see the 5 year recommended service mark is coming up so it needs a head gasket replacement, VST filter replacement, water pump replacement, injector cleaning etc. Looks like its going to be $2500 ish for a dealer to do the work and 2 weeks to get it done (the have to send the injectors out to a specialty shop etc).
Just wondering how many of you do this every 5 years and if you see noticeable degradation of the parts or is it a bit overkill ? i'm going to do it anyway but was wondering if I was just wasting cash (probably). Its always had its annual service on time so no shortcuts there.

Where are you getting that service schedule from?

I was curious and downloaded an F115 2018 manual off the Yamaha website. It says all the usual 100hr stuff plus internal anode replacement and valve clearance inspection for 500hrs.

Fuel pump inspection and water pump replacement are 300hrs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231031_221518_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_221518_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20231031_221511_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_221511_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 17
Seems to me the manaufacturers and the dealer's have a pretty tight relationship.
you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.
As mentioned above, you should get 3000 hours or more if maintained properly with
Regular oil changes, plugs, filters, thermostats etc.
I don't know anyone who has voluntarily changed out a head gasket on a well
running motor.

Last edited:
5 years? It's just getting warmed up!
The best advice is if it ain't broke , leave it alone. Beyond oil, filters and impeller, the rest is crazy. Does it run well up to WOT.? Good. No water in the oil? Good. Replaced timing belt at 1000 - 1200 hrs ? That's good. Spark plugs, anodes? Sure. Our F115 is 18 years old, 1600 hrs. and runs like a marathon athlete. Do your routine annual maintenance and enjoy it!

Like other comments on here, would never touch a head gasket unless its leaking. You could have a gem where the head gasket will outlive you. Replacing it could open a new can of worms.

ok guess i'll not touch it then.
just do my usual annual service and send off the oil to blackstone labs for testing.

ok guess i'll not touch it then.
just do my usual annual service and send off the oil to blackstone labs for testing.
Overkill. Send me the US $35 and I'll send a plain English report, too.

" Report #2023 - Dear Mr. Zurk,
This engine is immaculate! No metal particles or contaminants were found. The carbon content was miniscule. The ph is good too because you changed the oil on schedule. If you keep up with oil and filter changes, run it for another 2000 hrs. before you send me any more money.
Thanks for your business!"

Last edited:
I think the oil test are cheap piece on mind. I don't do them but my buddy tests his 200's every couple of years.

Did someone tell you a head gasket was part of the 500 hour service or did you read it somewhere? I'm genuinely curious where that came from.

i would be more reliant on the oil sample to well me if there was particulate of salt water in the oil

Back