FS: Twin 200hp Mercury Optimax with Controls

Sailfish25

Hi guys,

I’m selling a pair of 2001 200HP Mercury Optimax 2-stroke outboards and all rigging (excluding props). Asking $5,000 OBO for everything. Bunch of extras included, more details below.

These engines run real nice, super punchy and lightweight for their horsepower/size. Great for a project boat while you are saving up for newer power.

The good:

-25” XL shafts
-one standard and one counter rotating
-I believe just below 1,000 hours on each
-Completed a major overhaul on them over the winter on 2019/2020: new air compressors on both, complete new legs on both (remanufactured units), original stainless reed valves replaced with high performance ceramic composite valves, and much more.
-injectors and fuel rails have been pulled and cleaned every winter
-comes with a big box full of spare parts, including spare injectors (not cheap)
-i have a third spare parts engine in my shop (which is yours if you act fast enough). I’m moving in a few weeks and the spare engine is off to the scrap yard if no one wants it before then. Plenty of good stuff left on it.
-comes with all controls/gauges

The Bad:

-props not included
-they are 22 year old engines. They are not perfect, if you don’t like working on engines they are probably not a great choice for you.
-tilt/trim rams leak down, it hasn’t bothered me as I keep my boat in the slip and just use the flip up tilt locks when I’m away from the boat to keep props out of the water.
-port engine lower unit needs some work. By the end of the summer it was not shifting smoothly into gear, but still operational.
-Throttle position sensors should probably be replaced. Common Optimax part that wears out and needs replacing. Relatively cheap and easy, sometimes it just idles higher than it is supposed to.
-they are thirsty

Looking for $5,000 and open to offers. Will post to Craigslist/marketplace in a few days. These would be a great option to get that project boat on the water for a few years as you save up for new power.

Currently located in Port Moody. Engines are on the boat but coming off in about a week as it goes in for re-power at Bridgeview Marine in Delta.

The spare parts and parts engine are at my house in Victoria.

Will upload photos and video soon.

Please send me a Private message if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.png
    IMG_3689.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8788.jpeg
    IMG_8788.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1972.jpeg
    IMG_1972.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0930.jpeg
    IMG_0930.jpeg
    408 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Nice, What did you go with for the reposer? I did see a GW that is for sale that had Suzukis any chance you took them off for your boat, if not your power would be a good choice for the hull on FB marketplace, I think that's where I saw the hull

Picked up some lease return Verados 200HP from Bridgeview Marine. They are a 4 cylinder so relatively light, and supercharger makes them torquey… so a pretty good replacement for lightweight Opti 2-strokes with a lot of torque. Looking forward to the fly by wire controls, that’s a new experience for me.

Picked up some lease return Verados 200HP from Bridgeview Marine. They are a 4 cylinder so relatively light, and supercharger makes them torquey… so a pretty good replacement for lightweight Opti 2-strokes with a lot of torque. Looking forward to the fly by wire controls, that’s a new experience for me.
Go slow while getting used to the fly by wire controls. It’s not an instant shift from forward to reverse so don’t come in hot to the dock like we all like to do

Last edited:
Go slow while getting used to the fly by wire controls. It’s not an instant shift from forward to reverse so don’t come in hot to the dock like we all like to do
The boat i ran this summer had a docking mode on the controls which had more of a feel and the reaction time as the regular ones

Back