Recreational Halibut - Non-profit anglers

I have been on 2 west coast fishing trips ever. We pull my boat from the koots and come for a week or so. I try to make it every second year, and we're planning to come this summer to Port Hardy again. I have been following the threads on here for a couple years now and I have a few thoughts. I've noticed all the adds I get over the year in magazines are still promoting huge fish, abundant fish, like it's the serengeti or something. COME CATCH YOUR TROPHY! The average guy in the interior has NO idea of the conservation issues going on. The marketing tells a different tale. The work hard play hard guys in the oil patch get pitched the idea of comming for a trophy fish. That seems WRONG and isn't helping anything.

1. For me, the slot is no big deal because I'm not interested in eating a fish over 60-80pounds, so i'm in favor of the slot to keep the guides and lodges from targeting large fish. I would like to see it 2 fish up to 126cm and get rid of the small fish requirement. In all probabilty I would still have one smaller fish, maybe 20-25lbs and one in the 25-40lb range if allowed.

2. Keep the possession limit at 2, even for the traveling fisherperson. By the time we target salmon, catch a few rockfish, target a few ling and catch hali...it's a huge ammount of fish. When one considers the mixed bag, 2 decent hali fits in nicely. We eat a couple small ones in camp and then fill our possession limit to go home while staying within all the legal requirements. The 6 fish per year means nothing to me. With 3 or 4 guys we could never catch 18 or 24 hali in a week even if we were allowed, and we like the variety of going for salmon one day, bottom fish the next.

3. change the daily limit to 2 because in a week fishing we might only connect the dots up once or twice and do well. we're not pros at this, and my boat is 19ft so i'm somewhat restricted on where and when I can go. If we have extra catch this is where i would selfishly like to see it used. It would increase my chances of getting 2 nice hali.

Karl.

If the area is closed to rockcod and yelloweye it should be closed to halibut also for conservation reasons this is just what I think.

What percentage of the Tac is caught by guides and lodges? Does anyone have any info on this? I see a few guides can't stay off this topic :) Oh ya seeing as it is my first post need a joke. Heard this one from a dealer in Vegas, it is pretty lame but all the other ones I can think of are x-rated. So here goes, what is the difference between a canoe and a Canadian..... a canoe tips :)

I have been on 2 west coast fishing trips ever. We pull my boat from the koots and come for a week or so.

1. For me, the slot is no big deal because I'm not interested in eating a fish over 60-80pounds, so i'm in favor of the slot to keep the guides and lodges from targeting large fish. I would like to see it 2 fish up to 126cm and get rid of the small fish requirement. In all probabilty I would still have one smaller fish, maybe 20-25lbs and one in the 25-40lb range if allowed.

3. change the daily limit to 2 because in a week fishing we might only connect the dots up once or twice and do well. we're not pros at this, and my boat is 19ft so i'm somewhat restricted on where and when I can go. If we have extra catch this is where i would selfishly like to see it used. It would increase my chances of getting 2 nice hali.

Karl.

Lets say you got lucky and unlucky at the same time. Tides, current, and weather allowed the dots to connect up once on your trip, your out for a couple of hours you hook a nice 70lb er and nothing else. Too bad you had to let it go and hopefully it wasn't hooked too bad and survived for the commies to catch it.

^^^^ Boom One of the over size fish I released last year was dead 100% And I was using circle hooks so don't start that debate.

What percentage of the Tac is caught by guides and lodges? Does anyone have any info on this? I see a few guides can't stay off this topic :)

That's a loader question... I can't say how much for guides but I can say for most lodges.... zero.
I stayed in a lodge a few years back and they served Halibut one night. I asked if the lodge fished the halibut that was served. The owner said that would be illegal to serve recreational caught halibut and he buy's it from the commercials. Now I don't know if all lodges follow the rules but I would hope they do.

A better way to ask your question would be ....
What percentage of TAC is caught by recreational anglers who used a guide or stayed at a lodge. You might add ..... What percentage of TAC is caught by recreational anglers who used their own boat.

The key point here is recreational anglers are the ones that catch and keep the halibut. Does it matter how they get that halibut. Would you be happy if somehow you had a different rule based on if you caught it from your own boat or used a guide. I have fished for halibut all three ways and I would be very upset if someone told me that because I caught halibut one way therefore I have to abide by some special rule.

Fish hali locally so 1/1 or 1/2 doesn't matter to me. That said it is nice when family are up for a week and can take home two fish. Size limit is fine as I have zero desire for a big girl and fish light mainline anyway to stay down longer.

Loved the season running until Dec 31st. If the weather is good, it's a reason to go fishing and avoid finishing the house. Four on my license and four on my wife's, who fishes enough she backs the trailer down the ramp. Left fish for 2014 to have something to do while the prawn traps soak.

We have 15% but isn't there a case before the courts disputing that. Numbers for TAC consumption are voodoo based. Is it some sort of multiplier on guide/lodge numbers and online survey input ? Very scary. I would like to know how they come up with the numbers.

I know a guy who owns 2 halibut boats.
He says releasing is easy, gets very few overs, and gets less money for the big ones per pound.
Called some commercial halibut fishermen today and a couple processing plants I can now say this is NOT TRUE....More money is paid for the larger fish. I stand by my last post about this.

Maybe you misunderstood your friend.

1/1??

Is 1/1 really a possibility/likelihood/regulation for 2014? I had not heard that and I am disappointed, (or will be if it comes to pass). We 'trek' a long way to go fishing a cpl. of 3 to 5 day fishing trips a year and even then, the halis are a good 40 minutes from the marina. I'm OK w/ size limits, I'm OK with daily limit of 1, I'm even OK w/ a possession limit of 2, but a possession limit of 1 would mean shortening our trips for surer. There's no point booking into accommodation for 4 or 5 days, if you reach possession limits on the first day. Please tell me it ain't so!

That's a loader question... I can't say how much for guides but I can say for most lodges.... zero.
I stayed in a lodge a few years back and they served Halibut one night. I asked if the lodge fished the halibut that was served. The owner said that would be illegal to serve recreational caught halibut and he buy's it from the commercials. Now I don't know if all lodges follow the rules but I would hope they do.

A better way to ask your question would be ....
What percentage of TAC is caught by recreational anglers who used a guide or stayed at a lodge. You might add ..... What percentage of TAC is caught by recreational anglers who used their own boat.

The key point here is recreational anglers are the ones that catch and keep the halibut. Does it matter how they get that halibut. Would you be happy if somehow you had a different rule based on if you caught it from your own boat or used a guide. I have fished for halibut all three ways and I would be very upset if someone told me that because I caught halibut one way therefore I have to abide by some special rule.

Sorry about the vague wording on my question GLG, kinda new at this. Yes the way you rephrased my question is the way I was thinking. You see the thing I have heard over and over about the guides and lodges is their main response is that they give every CANADIAN access to the fish. Now I wouldn't have a problem with that per say if EVERY fisher they took out was Canadian. I am a rec fisher have over $100,000.00 invested in my saltwater fishing equipment, I make zero money off of the resource and pay minimum another $5000.00 in insurance fuel etc. I took home 4 halibut and 10 springs last year. What I have read to date more or less states that when this allocation process was first laid out, guides and lodges did not target halibut to that great of an extent and were not factored into the equation to any great extent, obviously that has changed. Would you consider a guide or a lodge a commercial operation. Oh and one other question is it legal to process (St Jeans) your first halibut and have it sent to your home and go out and target halibut the next day on a multiple day fishing trip??

Last edited by a moderator:
Called some commercial halibut fishermen today and a couple processing plants I can now say this is NOT TRUE....More money is paid for the larger fish. I stand by my last post about this.

Maybe you misunderstood your friend.

Yeah dont know for sure.
Just sayin what he said.
I wouldn't call him a liar to his face.
The guys about 6'8 300 pounds!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another 3 pages wasted with only 1 opinion given (Thanks Marty).

How's about you guides leave this thread alone so people who don't make money off fish can give their honest opinion without the usual onslaught of guides bickering over TAC. Some guides have offered some fair arguments but THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR ARGUMENTS [is that even possible on this forum??? I wonder...??]

I made this thread to give the average person a chance to say how they felt, and how they were affected by the regulation changes. It made some progress but was quickly halted by all the ********. I don't care how you think the regulations affect your clients. Let your clients speak for themselves.

If you want to see statistics or a debate then START or USE ANOTHER THREAD!

Let the average angler speak.

Hey Finished Business I hope my questions were not out of line if so let me know and I will delete them, and 1/1 works great for me no size limit, 6 per year.

Average anglers use guides to access fish.

Obviously they do Springnut. As a client of a guide, do you have an opinion on the regulation and how it affected your guided trip??

If not, your point is moot.

Hazer, no problem with your questions. They are fair and the same questions many of us have! Debating whether guides or lodges are a commercial entity and should be treated as such is a rocky road to travel. Trust me on that one! Haha.

Would be great to hear more of,

"I went out on a charter last season and thought [this] about the new regulations."

or

"I fished [X] amount of times last year, and this is how the regulation effected me..."

I fish for halibut both on charters and on my own boat. I always charter in a group of 4+ anglers. Everytime ive been guided for halibut we have limited out. We always split the catch evenly. So 1/1 would mean if 4 guys go out and 1 guy gets a 20 then next gets a 100 and then the other two get 50's each angler ends up with 55 pounds. Seems fair to me. If I go out in my own boat and fish for halibut Im never alone and whatever we catch is split evenly. To me 1/1 makes the most sense!

I also will say that if there was quota left over on Dec 31st then if our season doesen't open feb 1st would be considered a failure! Our season has to open feb 1st!

-KK

I'm good with 1/1 , with 6 annual, but would like to see the 126cm slot canceled.
I'ts too much hassle measuring and trying to release a fish over 60lbs.
If you hook one and want to keep it , it should be up to you.

Given the choice between 1/2 slot of 112cm (40lb.) and 1/1 any size.
I'll take my chances and go for 1/1, you never know I might just make a memory.
These slot's are taking the fun out of fishing.
I sure hope we get more TAC but I have my doubts.

Purple Haze start a new thread if you want to talk about guides and lodges.
I'll post on it.

Thanks Finished Business.

Back