Recreational Halibut - Non-profit anglers

Just so everyone has the facts..

Last year our TAC was 1 080 450 lbs
With the slots etc we only havested 830 000lbs!

Unless our TAC is under 830 000 lbs, as I see it nothing should change!
DFO can run models and tables all they want BUT when your data ends up being 25% off the numbers projected, not much reliance can be placed on them.

Lets take ALL our TAC , even if the season closes early.. It is the only way we will get more TAC in the furture.

Imagine lobbying the Harper Govt saying we " need more TAC" and we left a quarter of a million pounds in the water! They would just shake their head!

Just so everyone has the facts..

Last year our TAC was 1 080 450 lbs
With the slots etc we only havested 830 000lbs!

Unless our TAC is under 830 000 lbs, as I see it nothing should change!
DFO can run models and tables all they want BUT when your data ends up being 25% off the numbers projected, not much reliance can be placed on them.

Lets take ALL our TAC , even if the season closes early.. It is the only way we will get more TAC in the furture.

Imagine lobbying the Harper Govt saying we " need more TAC" and we left a quarter of a million pounds in the water! They would just shake their head!

good points for sure,, the voodoo math never works in our favour it seems.. we conserve and still do not win.

This is non profit thread profisher. Stick to other one. May not like what you see as so far most rec non profit rather 1/1 than 60 rule...Rec non profit anglers are majority too btw

oh%2Bsnap%2Bjohn%2Bmcain.jpg

He has a very valid point...

Very good pts Islandgirl. That is definitely a barrier to more TAC, as is experimental, which has now been shown to be more successful with a size limit. So in theory best option would be one that has no size limit and uses up all TAC sometime in September.

More TAC and 1/2 any size. The halibut was given away in the in the first place. We get more Tac and we fish all year.

I can't believe not long ago we where fighting for more TAC and we lost. Now we have less and we have given up that fight and will slowly be given less again until we have nothing. Bottom line we need more TAC. Let's not forget this was GIFTED to them.

Can someone explain to me why there should be a possession limit when there is a daily limit of only 1 fish and an annual limit of just 6? Seems to me if you can only catch one per day and only retain 6 for the season a possession limit only serves to penalize the travelling angler - when they're the ones pumping more dollars into the rec industry sector on a per day fishing basis than any other group. Tell me how it's fair when I go to Ukee for a week in June and fish 6 consecutive days that I can only retain 2 of my annual allowable 6 halibut but the local fishing next to me can keep 6 fish if he/she so choses over the same time period? My opinion is if there's a daily limit of one and a very small annual limit there is no valid argument or justification for the possession limit.

Further, the last 4 years, in particular the three seasons 2010 through 2012 show that the slot limit did nothing to reduce harvest or lengthen the season and should be scrapped. Max size and small annual limit are fine as far as I'm concerned.

Ukee

Uh Oh, Ukee is talking sense again, Here come the crickets from the peanut gallery.

Ukee for Prime Minister!

Great question, Ukee - been wondering that one myself. Change my vote...6 fish with a size limit. Get em all on the same day if you want.

And with all due respect to the folks clamouring for a greater share of the TAC - I really think that ship has sailed unless we get a new Government with a more understanding Fisheries Minister - who will be prepared to stand up to the bureaucrats who really run the Government. Anyone ever see the British TV series "Yes, Minister"?

The 2013 season for me is not over yet I still have room for 2 more halibut on my license, when it opens in the spring I hope to fill those in before the 2014 year kicks in. I didn't need to worry about measuring any fish as it turns out, maybe next time. The part of the reg's that affect me the most are the possession limits, at 1/1 it makes multi day trips less desirable. Sometimes I go guided one day and on my own the next, I would want the same limits then so I can keep the guided fish and my own catch fish. The 6 per year is fine. Hard for me to fish past September in my boat.

The tuna really took away a lot of salmon halibut time this year for me too.

Same as last year works for me. Bump up max size a bit if tac will allow it. Would like to see it open Feb 1 and stay open to at least mid Oct. 6 per year works for me too.

I feel 1/1 no size limit for one of the 6 fish will burn TAC way quicker. Guides and lodges know what they are doing and will find those big fish for their clients who will only be putting one halibut on their license, which I'm sure is the majority of clients at the big lodges.

Same as last year works for me. Bump up max size a bit if tac will allow it. Would like to see it open Feb 1 and stay open to at least mid Oct. 6 per year works for me too.

I feel 1/1 no size limit for one of the 6 fish will burn TAC way quicker. Guides and lodges know what they are doing and will find those big fish for their clients who will only be putting one halibut on their license, which I'm sure is the majority of clients at the big lodges.

That's just not the case. Average size halibut is actually not far from the under fish around 83cm mark (this was in 2012 as well when guides could take as large of fish as they want), so cutting out an entire fish will most certainly not eat up TAC faster than a 2 fish limit. It would effect guides and lodges only, not avg joe for the most part.

Let's keep this on track. This thread is hanging in better than I thought it would. A lot of great points for sure. It'd be great to hear a few more opinions or thoughts from individuals. No need for debate, there are plenty of threads for that already.

What are peoples thoughts of the regulations in direct relation to their fishing season. Not how much TAC was allotted here or there. Or any of the other political aspects. How did it effect the average person who is not lucky enough to fish for recreation and work??

It seems there is some room for improvement but most seem to accept most of the regulations contently. Lets get some more opinions without the clutter of useless debate. If enough opinions warrant a debate, start a new thread please.

Thanks FB, I appreciate the thread. As a new fisher and complete rookie last season, I'll share a few thoughts:

Our boat, which was on the water for probably upwards of 30+ days last season but targeted hali maybe 10 days, got 5 hali all season. 4 chickens and one 35lbs. We have 3 licences in the family, and at this point, I think we only have 2 or 3 of those fish on our licenses because we often had friends come out with us, and I always made them get a licence. That way, if we had a really good day for hali, we could each keep one, and well, it's good practice and proper, I suppose. So 2 or 3 fish went on others licences, and I didn't get anywhere near my number 6, nor did my wife or son. And we didn't even get our young daughter a licence this year.

I take a few things from that - first that I'd love an early season this year to see if we could get one or two more this Spring (Winter) before end March. We also got a few days in during October and November, although November was unsuccessful for us. So I'd love the longer season to keep on trying. Also, nice to have fresh fish at any time of year.

Second, I think a lot of folks are probably like us - we have more than one licence in the family, so our family number for total for the season is 18! And before anyone gets excited and questions whether my wife actually fishes, she love it as much or more than me and will go out alone with her girlfriends - I wasn't even there for one of those hali this year. Plus we take a number of others out with us, and my "fee" to my friends is usually boat gas and a fillet! Never seems to be a problem for them, they get a licence and some great fish, and we still managed to get fish in the freezer. Was it enough for a family of 4 (with two younger kids, who are a little picky but if cooked well, will eat hali)? We've been rationing the few fillets we had over the last months, sure would be nice to eat more frequently, but if we had even caught one licence worth for our freezer alone, we'd have plenty I figure.

Which brings me to a question - why 6? Models must have determined that would be the max number to get closest to the TAC, but for the average fisher, I wonder if that's even necessary? With family etc, I would think 5 may do. Especially with family/friends and their licences on board. Realize this may be controversial, but throw it out there thinking it may help on another end - longer season or slightly larger fish perhaps.

I too question the need for the daily limit vs overall annual, but as I'm fortunate to live so close to the fishing grounds, I'm not bothered by that. However, for those who visit only once or twice a year, I could see how a higher daily/possession number would be nice. The annual limit should take care of that. Although I imagine that higher possession would mean greater number of folks catching and keeping more fish, thus affecting other limits....

Finally, as to size - I don't have much interest in keeping the big girls (although perhaps I would love one day to have an incredible photo with a mammoth hali, I'd live with a pic of one beside the boat and the story to tell), and as someone else said, if it's good for the fishery, then let's lead by example. I agree that should be common to commercial and sporties though, otherwise our gesture is merely a token.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back