Recreational Halibut - Non-profit anglers

Finished Business

.....Following along to the latest halibut thread regarding input needed by the SFAC.

I am curious how fellow not-for-profit fisherman received the changes to the 2013 Halibut season. I did not want to post in the other thread as it is dominated by opinions from guides, and I find that as a non-guide, opinions are over-looked at times in lieu of the business at hand.

To start off, my own feelings of 2013 halibut season....

*6 halibut per person per season - even with 20lb an under halibut, this is still a substantial portion of meat for one person. If the one person is trying to feed a family on their own (1 angler, 4 family members) I can see how 6 chickens would not likely feed that family. But our limits are for one license and if only 1 person has a license and is catching, I see no fault in 6 fish per season, per license.

*the extended season into the winter. - although where I live has little halibut, and the chance to catch one during the winter is slim to none in my local waters, I thought the long season was awesome. Coming from the mainland to target halibut, I like having a longer season as that equals more chances for me to find good weather when I have time available. People living on the west coast of the island are really the only ones who can fully take advantage of the long season, which I think is fine, BUT chances are they have caught their 6 halibut during the summer and now have a full license. I don't imagine those on the island so close to halibut grounds wait until the cold and miserable winter months to get their fish. I think the extended season into the winter actually opens up the door for poaching for those who have immediate access to halibut areas. Off season is very slow, with next to no enforcement. This leaves a big window to take advantage of the extended season. So I guess I like the extended season for those who are farther from the water, but for those so close, I see some obvious negatives where it can be taken advantage of.

* Lastly, I liked how DFO seemed to be more pro-active with enforcement during the season after the regulations were in place. Several times I heard of aggressive enforcement in waters around Victoria, Sooke, Ukee, and Tofino. These are some of the most targeted water for halibut, both for the seascape and the population that is within easy reach of these areas. Though there were not a lot of fines dealt, boots on the water alone is enough to right a few of the wrongs out there.

Disliked:

* The Over-Under rule. With an imposed 6 fish limit, it would be difficult for the average angler to target 100+LB fish to fill their license. The costs and time of continuously searching for the 6 large fish of your dreams, is highly improbable for the average person who fishes for recreation. So I think this rule should be scrapped, and we return to the simple and logical 1 limit 2 possession. No size restriction.

==================================================

These are my feelings of the 2013 season. I put in many hours on the water and only managed to put 4 halibut on my license. 3 chickens and 1 40 lb fish. Even with that paltry catch by many's standards, it is enough Halibut to last me and my lady (2 in the household) until next season. It even lends me enough to share some with family and neighbors (though not much!! haha).

I look forward to next season and hope to improve on my catches. I would like to see the commercial and FN catches, and more importantly By-Catches, better regulated. The impact these fisheries, mostly the commercial industry, I feel, can destroy a species in a heart beat, so greater consideration needs to be given to make sure these groups are in fact abiding strictly by the rules. Recreational Anglers too should be held more accountable, with better located enforcement, on days or weekends when the water is filled with anglers, in areas where numbers of people are expected the highest.

As mentioned earlier, I would like to hear from people who do not profit from fishing, and have no financial gain other than "saving" money on food by catching, rather than buying at Safeway or the likes, though we all know we pay a fortune per pound when factoring all the costs of ocean fishing to catch our own fish.

Thanks.

I try to stay out of these ones . But as a sport I see no savings in the current regs as far as Halibut goes. A trip from Port for 1 each, six times a year makes the late night phone calls offering up extra Halibut for sale a bit more tempting. The last time I did the math for my situation ( travel costs) it was cheaper to buy Halibut from Quality Foods when they bring in a big order of "fresh" in late fall. I feel for myself it would be better if I could legally catch more than 1 a day or larger ones . I'm not trying to stir a pot here, I realise many people have different situations and will have a different opinion.

2 per day 2 possession (saves precious fuel)
6 per year.
Only one over 126cm.
May 1 thru Sept 31.

Further to that commercial must release any over 126cm.
I know a guy who owns 2 halibut boats.
He says releasing is easy, gets very few overs, and gets less money for the big ones per pound.
He actually liked the idea if the science says it would help the biomass.
From his experience he says halibut populations are in big trouble and he focuses on black cod.

6 fish limit, with the size restriction is not a problem in my house.

I have no reason to want to extend the season into December.

I can understand why those that travel to fish would want to be able to catch more per trip. I wouldn't have an issue with a 2 fish/day and 2 fish/possession limit, with a 6 (or 8) season max.

and gets less money for the big ones per pound.

Not sure about that..... Unless things have changed. We used to have three tier pricing and it went up based on size. I will make a call and find out.

To add the only guys not concerned about it going 1/1 would be guys fishing halibut close to home.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem with 6 per year...
The over under needs to go...

Off topic but with regards to commercial halibut boats.. I've worked with many former commercial fishermen and taken courses beside many current.
There's very few guys that might consider releasing big ones... But the vast majority are killing them without thinking twice.

mute4a2u.jpg

Saw this at t&t today

Ouch. We eat approx 120 lbs per yer. And i only have 2 youngish kids.

Of the realistic options for 2014 assuming lower TAC, 1/1 has my vote over max size limit options. So far pretty consistently agreed upon.

1/1 ,, six max, one over,, if the tac is reduced

hate to but.... OR GET MORE TAC GIVEN BACK FROM WHERE IT HAS BEEN TAKEN, or gifted illegally.

If we get pummeled and are under 800k could even do 1/1 with one of 6 any size, but I still don't think we would need to do that. 1/1 would make the longest season.

how about 6 total, one over.. so a guy can get his fish while he is on holidays.. sounds crazee eh?

I'd be fine with 1/2, 6 total, and a max size limit. I have no interest in having to deal with anything over 60 lbs at the side of my boat. The whole "trophy" thing means nothing to me. I'm interested in having a catch that's easy to deal with (I fish solo a fair bit) and fish that's good to eat.

One over means every lodge or guide customer is back to being non restricted as they aren't concerned with the 6 a year. That means for all those boats fishing tactics will change back to targeting the barn door holes for that one big one and that will consume more TAC.

This is non profit thread profisher. Stick to other one. May not like what you see as so far most rec non profit rather 1/1 than 60 rule...Rec non profit anglers are majority too btw

One over means every lodge or guide customer is back to being non restricted as they aren't concerned with the 6 a year. That means for all those boats fishing tactics will change back to targeting the barn door holes for that one big one and that will consume more TAC.
Which may not matter at all to the rec angler who gets out 3 or 4 times a year during the summer, for example. All consuming more TAC does is shorten the season - which may not be a factor for most recreational anglers.

1/1 ,, six max, one over,, if the tac is reduced

hate to but.... OR GET MORE TAC GIVEN BACK FROM WHERE IT HAS BEEN TAKEN, or gifted illegally.

Wholly **** TF!
We did not use up our TAC given to us this year!
We were 250 000 lbs under our allowance. We need less restrictive rules to use up our TAC. Cant possibly argue we need more when we left 250 000 lbs swimming around and only 25 000 lbs can be carried over.

All the modelling etc. by DFO provided to be 25% off.

Wholly **** TF!
We did not use up our TAC given to us this year!
We were 250 000 lbs under our allowance. We need less restrictive rules to use up our TAC. Cant possibly argue we need more when we left 250 000 lbs swimming around and only 25 000 lbs can be carried over.

All the modelling etc. by DFO provided to be 25% off.

what ? so this sooo 2012 of me? we only have these "rules" because of low TAC

If we are down to 750k then what trophy said may be our only option. 800k-850k, 1/1 is really close to only option for full season. Trophy was just assuming low TAC which is probably fair.

Back