Recreational Halibut - Non-profit anglers

No.. We kinda won didn't we? It is 15% now.
Sorry Lip, what I ment was we lost with getting a slot size. Bad wording on my part.

This may be an ignorant question so sorry if this has been covered in other places. How on earth would anyone know how much halibut was caught this season? None of the three licences that were bought in my immediate family or any of the approx. 6 licences bought by extended family and friends to fish with me have been checked for whether or not we filled our licences with halibut or not. I got out more times this season that any other and I think I saw less surveyors than ever before. The creel surveys are spotty at best. Am I missing something on actual measurement on the TAC?

1 and 1 is a gift to the guys that live on the Island.
Take it home put it in the freezer and go get another one the next day.
For people like me that live on the mainland it does not work.
I come down for a week or 2 at a time.
For 1 fish? Forget it!

I hate the max size and this would be on my first to go list. And that even though I haven't caught an over 60# hali in a few years now. But I hate to see the day I have to release a deep hooked biggie with questionable survival odds. Then, I like an early season, preferably Feb 1 and I like a season to last until late Oct. After that I don't care much for hali fishing anymore. I like Ukees idea of 1 per day - period. No possession limit. Makes sense to me. Might be tougher to check for COs when all the vacationers carry larger freezers full of 24 hali fillets away but since there is barely any enforcement left anyway, that shouldn't be an criteria. I can live with 6 per year even though I am not loving it.

There is a 1/1 because every person that goes out on a charter or comes out for their 1 week holiday could kill 6 halibut in one shot if you could kill all 6 any time. I am sure there were lots of people that got their 6 halibut but many many more got only some or none. Pretty sure the TAC would get used up fast is everyone could go kill their 6 whenever. For everyone that lives far from the ocean, complains about how far it is to come to fish and how it costs soo much $$ well that's your choice to live where you do, maybe we should all just move to Victoria? Last time I checked this was sport fishing and we don't do it for the meat we do it for fun even though it is great to have some high quality meat in the freezer.

There is a 1/1 because every person that goes out on a charter or comes out for their 1 week holiday could kill 6 halibut in one shot if you could kill all 6 any time. I am sure there were lots of people that got their 6 halibut but many many more got only some or none. Pretty sure the TAC would get used up fast is everyone could go kill their 6 whenever. For everyone that lives far from the ocean, complains about how far it is to come to fish and how it costs soo much $$ well that's your choice to live where you do, maybe we should all just move to Victoria? Last time I checked this was sport fishing and we don't do it for the meat we do it for fun even though it is great to have some high quality meat in the freezer.

Stop making so much sense, Mike ;)

Yeah the numbers just don't work for that. I am not bashing the charter operators at all, it just comes down to math, not to mention how bad it would suck if the guide had to clean 18 halibut each day...hehehe. Personally I am a fan of the the 1/2 with the 2 fish being any size up to 60#.

Taking 6 home in a week on a charter would be illegal. You could still only transport 1 home on a 1/1 and 2 home on 1/2.

Last year I boated 6 halis on our trip to Winter Harbour filling our slots for the trip (3 guys) none where really big, I think the biggest was maybe 30lb. I have no issue with the size limit although I think releasing fish often causes death and wasted fish.I only make one trip to the island a year and so I will never fill my 6 hali limit. As a traveling fisherman I would perfer a system where the angler has a choice, fill the yearly limit posession 1 over and 5 under. If the locals want to head out 6 times throughout the year to get the big ones then so be it. I would also support a 4fish yearly limit because how much fish can one person really eat? If you have a bigger family taken them fishing to catch more.

FA I was more referring to a previous post that we should be able to take our 6 whenever we please because that's the annual limit. I know what the current regs are.

most charters are day trips id think , so 1/1 works for them ,and prob for me cause im there often
but this isnt about just me and guides and lodges , its for all users , i know alot of people that come and dump HUGE dollars , once a year ,
stay for a week , sometimes 2 ,,,,,,,,,,,, make it a 1/2 posession , most cases , thats all they'll keep for the year anyway ,
6 max if need be , ta keep within our 15% ,

keepin 6 all in one trip is not right , imo...

m2b

fd

I am also a fan of the the 1/2 with the 2 fish being any size up to 60#. I'd also go as far as saying 6 fish limit is to many. But I think its wrong all around. These are our fish and these limits shouldn't be in place in the first place. They should just put and expiry date on these gifted licences and return the fish to Canadians... Its total BS

Most of my clients are from the lower mainland and the Okanagan/Alberta and of my guide buddy's come on multiple day trips, FD so 1/1 doesn't work for them

Wholly **** TF!
We did not use up our TAC given to us this year!
We were 250 000 lbs under our allowance. We need less restrictive rules to use up our TAC. Cant possibly argue we need more when we left 250 000 lbs swimming around and only 25 000 lbs can be carried over.

All the modelling etc. by DFO provided to be 25% off.
And in 2010-2012 the rec sector was over TAC (see the other thread).

1/1 no size restrictions, 6/yr would be my vote. Easy to regulate, no need to measure before killing, easy to enforce and easier to package for transport.

2013 regulations worked fine for me as well and allowed 2nd possession fish.

6 possession is ridiculous. Even at high biomass 3 was possession.

Back