Qualicum Rivers Chinooks

Has anyone been fishing the Qualicum Rivers Mouths for Chinooks?
They should be heating-up anytime now if not already started.
Lure-Washer

Nobody fishing Little Q, Big has been showing some action. Nobody's hammering them but there are fish being caught.

Not even close to reality Wild West. At the very end of the run in 4 weeks then yes the are darker and are going crazy for the river and don't bite. But the first couple weeks they are silver and hit like freight trains! Not to mention only fishing in 30-40 ft of water is fantastic! I fish everywhere and I love the West Coast but this can be as good as it gets on East Coast if the run is good! Just my 2 Cents :)

SWC

Hi gents,
Is French Creek still the launch site for this fishery? I've downsized to a 16ft CC glass boat and am not going to make the run from FC. If there was something closer I might give it a go.
Thanks
RBF

Is there still a launch at Deep Bay? i would think it would be a shorter run to the Big Q. I don't know if Costa Lotta is still operating, but it had a launch at one time, which is about a mile from the Big Q. Little Q would be shorter from French Creek though.

Drewski

Deep Bay...yes, Costa Lotta...no.
Launched at Deep Bay on Friday for a trip to Tribune. Lower than about a 6' tide you run out of dock. We came back Monday at about a 6' tide and there was 6' of water under the boat in the narrow channel leading to the ramp, so depending on your draft it gets sketchy.
It was tough enough with my boat that I'd consider running from French Creek next time we do Tribune.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one boat at Little Q last night. There were about 20 at Big Q. Saw one about 16 pounds boated and heard a rumour of one more. It was a slow night as best as I could tell.

There are lots of seals and sea lions gobbling up fish slapping them on the surface. I hate those things.

Back