Pulling Anchor

Hey Guys

I'm really getting into Hali Fishing and feel like I've got it under control expect for one issue.

Almost every time I've pulled my anchor (ring-style puller) and thought it was up I've come back to retrieve it and it's not there. Potentially very dangerous if it was to snag again so I end up tossing the whole outfit back in the water then start again. I keep as sharp an eye as I can on my Scotsman and I'll become 100% positive the anchor has hit the ring judging by distance and buoy behavior, but it ends up not being the case and it slides back down. Obviously the rougher the water the harder it is to see the difference.

Any tips? I've resorted to just driving way farther then I think I should have too to ensure the chain is through the ring and varying throttle to help jerk the set-up through the ring. For details I am using about 30 feet of 5/16 chain attached to the rope with those threaded chain link connectors and not a shackle, as I feel the pin of a shackle could orientate itself downwards and catch the ring. That said, my thoughts are the chain is getting caught at the ring, making the scotsman scoot along and making me think I've finished my pull. Should I use lighter chain, like 1/4?

Any help would be appreciated!

Add more chain and pull a little longer

I think what the problem is, is when you are setting your anchor you are dropping it to fast and your chain is knotting. When you go to pull your anchor the knot comes to the ring and stops. Your scotchman goes under and you think that you are at the end of your anchor line and you stop. As soon as you stop your anchor starts dropping again. I have seen this alot. Drop your anchor slowly and stop every so often. You will feel the anchor pull on the end of the line and let some more line out and than stop and wait for the anchor to hit again. A good trick to do is every 50 feet mark your line. Let out 50 feet, Stop, wait for the anchor to hit. Let out another 50 feet, Stop, wait for the anchor to hit. Keep doing this till you are close to your depth and your chain will be all stretched out and no knot.

That's exattly why I use the system with the pin that stops it from dropping after you stop pulling . There is a plastic
model which is only $20.00,and a more skookum brand that's called EZ anchor I believe,that's made of stainless steel
and about $40.00. That will be the end of your problems as it dosn't matter when you stop the boat,the puller
automaticly stops as well. Had your same problem with the plain ring,switched,and never had a thing go wrong since.My
2 cents....

Add more chain and pull a little longer

That makes sence to me. As I understand it once the chain is through the ring it acts as counter balance weight holding the anchor under the Scotsman. If the chain is too light/short, the anchors just drops back down when you take the pressure of it to go retrive the ball. I guess that depends on how heavy your anchor is and that you are getting all the chain through the ring to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to anchoring as well. I am using 24 feet of 5/16 chain, the 10 lb Bruce anchor, and the ring system, all set up by the Trotac boys. I've been lucky and it's worked perfectly every single time. I think the ring system is the best way to go.

Thanks for your replies!

I'm using a 11lb Bruce Anchor and the chain that I have is definitly heavier than that; I mean when it does pull correctly the anchor does sit at the ring as it should.

I may switch to the EZ Puller, I have one for my prawn traps. Casper you have a good point about the chain bunching up. I do reverse slightly against my set to try an avoid that issue but maybe that's still happening anyway.

I'll keep playing around with it. Thanks again!

When I am dragging the ball behind me and think I have got to the chain, I give a jolt of extra throttle for a few seconds to get it to jump the quicklink and make it to the end of the anchor. What size quicklink are you using? And is there a big knot that may be effecting it? I tape my knot with electrical tape to help the ring slide over the knot easier. Also, I think 30' of 5/16" chain is plenty.

Sorry if I'm missing something but why would longer chain help with this? I assure you my chain is more than heavy enough to offset my anchor - it it gets through the ring, there is no way the anchor is gonna pull it back the other way.

When I am dragging the ball behind me and think I have got to the chain, I give a jolt of extra throttle for a few seconds to get it to jump the quicklink and make it to the end of the anchor. What size quicklink are you using? And is there a big knot that may be effecting it? I tape my knot with electrical tape to help the ring slide over the knot easier. Also, I think 30' of 5/16" chain is plenty.

I think the quickline is 5/16 as is the chain. The rope is eye spliced to attach to the chain so there isn't any knot. My best guess - I don't know for sure or else I wouldn't have started this thread - is that as the part of the rode where the rope and chain attach is getting caught at the ring and not getting through, causing the Scotsman to start racing and me to think it's done.

I think the burst of gas at that point is the best solution. I mean I'm not pulling it by hand, I do eventually get it; but like you guys have mentioned - pull a little longer! I guess I'm really just surprised that I can't obviously tell when it's done - embaressing lol

Don't be embarrassed... they're all just - 'yankin' your chain!'

If the boys from Trotac built you system it is built right. I think that you have plenty of chain. Taping the link is a good idea, but don't thing that is your problem, still think it dropping it to fast and the chain is knotting or you're not pulling it long enough. When your at the end of the line the ball should be plowing under the water.

I'm not a expert here but don't be confused by your ball going under like I was. Your ball will go under when you pop it off the bottom. When your anchor it at the top your Scotsman plough about half or so under the water.

I'm not a expert here but don't be confused by your ball going under like I was. Your ball will go under when you pop it off the bottom. When your anchor it at the top your Scotsman plough about half or so under the water.
I guess I should of said plowing "more" under due to the drag of the anchor being right at the ball.

I would definitely stick with the ring over the puller. Guys have had to cut away their entire system when the puller jams on the rope while stuck hard on the bottom. The puller and Scotsman slide down until their is no more slack...the anchor won't pull off bottom..when you back off to try again the puller jams and your hooped. I would add another 10 feet of chain.

Once your ball starts to follow you again and you think the anchor is up, give it a couple of bursts of power to make sure it hasn't hung up on the chain.

More than once The EZ has been yanked from my hand. Next time I will go with the rings.

Back